Official American Football Thread

LooseCannon said:
NFL can't hold a candle to the Premier League in terms of profitability, but aside from that, you're probably right.

Especially when you consider it's really the only major sports league in North America that makes money.

MLB and NBA make healthy profits.

Actually up until about 4 years ago NFL was number one and almost double the amount of the 2nd place premiere league. In the past few years the Premiere league has signed huge broadcast deals and vaulted in to the lead. The problem for the premiere league is wages eat 67% of the profits taking that into account the premiere league is 5th behind the NFL, MLB, Formula One and the NBA.

wsoul1 said:
They play 4 pre-season games now so i was thinking play 2 replace the last 2 pre-season games with weeks 1 and 2 of the regularseason and add the bye the only "new" week.

The pre-season games are a real rip off for Season Ticket holders and I think most coaches think are a waste unless there are major roster battles. 

I think what will happen is 18 regular season games, 2 pre-season games, a slightly expanded training camp, limited organized off-season workouts, add a bye week, and expanded rosters.

I have to say that I didn't see that coming.  :blink:

I was super pleased with the Chiefs game today!!  I was a little nervous at the start of the second half, but they came on strong!  (rooting for the Colts right now)

@cornfedhick, I hear your Cardinal is looking at a 4th place standing in the BCS!

Very excited about Stanford.  If Auburn loses to South Carolina in the SEC title game, Stanford would get a Rose Bowl berth.  If not, many are projecting an Orange Bowl berth.  I'm rooting for the former, as I would definitely go to the game.  It's important to stay at #4 in the BCS, because otherwise Stanford isn't guaranteed a spot in one of the BCS bowls, and probably wouldn't get a bid as the fans aren't as rabid and don't travel as well as, say, LSU's.  No one-loss teams have any games left, I think, so assuming the voters don't change their votes for no rational reason in the final poll, Stanford should be safe in the 4-spot.  Only dark cloud over this season is that Michigan will no doubt be very interested in poaching our coach to fix the mess they currently have. 

The Chiefs are making me happy too, though I'm nervous that they are only one game ahead of a Chargers team that now looks dominant. 

Tough loss for the Pack, they are clearly good enough to be a legit Super Bowl contender -- unbelievable that they might miss out on the playoffs yet the Rams might get in.  The Bears look legit too, but I still don't trust Martz/Cutler. 

Kudos to Stanford.  I always enjoy seeing the 'non-traditional' teams making it into the BCS.  I hope that they do get the Rose Bowl!

Yeah, I'm worried about San Diego also.  I remember saying, before the season started, that I'd be happy with a 6-10 season, but now I'm wanting an AFC West title!! I really think that if we win the 3 AFC West games, we will have it made. 

My mind is still reeling that a 5-6 (2 actually) leads the NFC West.  Wow-- what a horrible division.

Gotta love Jim Harbaugh.  He coached at my alma mater (The University of San Diego), a Catholic, non-scholarship program and had some great records and got one player in the NFL from there (Josh Johnson).  I think he would have stick around a bit longer if they were on a track to move up or become a scholarship school, his son was going to University of San Diego High School.  I have to think he might end back up at Michigan fairly soon.

Also interesting to see TCU move to the Big East, good move on their part and the Big East.

Huge win for the Bears last week! They looked good. My Jets travel to New England for a BIG game against the hated rival Pats. Going to be a tough one and to add to my worries our starting safety Leonard Broke his leg in practice today and he is out for the year... #@%$!
It is a huge blow and we will feel the effects for the remainder of the year.

Bears must beat Detroit this week, I assume they are not looking past them.  Nate Burrelson guarenteeing a win for the Lions might help, the rest of the schedule is really tough (NE, Jets, Minny (at Minny) and at GB)

I may have to swallow my predictions towards the Bears.  I really thot Cutler would implode that team.  I'm not really hoping for you Bears fans to be disappointed, but I'll be really curious how they finish the season off against those teams.  Its a tough end of season.  And that Green Bay/Chi game at the end looms huge.

@cfh, I see the Cardinal in Arizona or Florida, depending on how this weekend fills out.  I am hoping (for your sake) the Fiesta Bowl, because I'm betting you'll go to that.  So, good luck!

I'm looking forward to see how the bowl games sort out.

In other news:  KC vs Denver.  'Nuff said.  ;)

Nice win for the Bears, the D did not look so good in the first half, but they buckled down in teh second and Cutler had another good game.  This had trap game written all over it and Detroit had 10 days to get ready.  Not pretty, but a win is a win .. 9-3.

Good on the Bears, I was wondering what was going to happen there.  I'm super excited that KC won that game while SD lost-- 2 game lead going into SD.  Now, that is going to be a difficult game, especially since SD is coming off an ugly loss to Oakland.  We will be up for it, but SD at home is just going to be tough.  Still, at worst a 1 game lead with St Louis and Oakland on the schedule isn't bad.  ...but a 3 game lead? Yeah, I want that!

Basically the Chiefs can wrap up the division with a win in San Diego.  Wasted  is right, the smart money is probably on the Chargers in that game -- but if the Chargers' defense against the rushing attack is even half as bad as it was against the Raiders, then that certainly favors the Chiefs who want to run the ball and play-action to Bowe. 

Meanwhile, the Stanford Cardinal will be playing in the Orange Bowl.  This is obviously a big deal, but I must confess I'm a little disappointed as it is probably too far away for me to travel to the game, and their opponent, albeit the champion of the ACC, is still not a top-10 team.  I would have been much happier had they played in the Fiesta Bowl in Phoenix against Oklahoma.  Still, it's a historic time in the history of the Stanford football program. 

Jim Harbaugh is such a great coach, clearly Luck is a fantastic QB, but I do not think they are where they are now without Harbaugh.

Think I'll make the trip to the Texas Bowl (in Houston) to watch Illinois v Baylor .. should be a decent game.

bearfan said:
Chiefs' Cassel has appendectomy; Week 14 status unclear

I had an appendectomy recently.  It's not THAT big a deal, assuming he had the laparoscopic procedure.  There's a risk of internal bleeding if he gets hit, of course, but by Sunday he'll almost certainly be feeling fine, maybe just a little sore but probably nothing compared to the soreness pro football players generally feel all the time.  If he doesn't play, it'll be because the doctors will say there is too high a risk of internal injury.  It won't be because of how he feels.  I seriously debated going to an Iced Earth concert the night after my surgery -- I might even have decided to go at the last minute if my wife hadn't hidden my damn car keys. 

Patriots/Bears .. this should be a good one today, freezing temps, possibly snow, and windy as hell.  Wish I was there.

Vikes-Giants postponed due to weather!

Good games this weekend- I look forward to the Pats-Bears one.

Wasted CLV said:
Vikes-Giants postponed due to weather!

Good games this weekend- I look forward to the Pats-Bears one.

Just play it outside ... never understood why Minny moved indoors and game up a great home field advantage.

Back