Official American Football Thread

It's been too long since I've watched any football. I woke up this morning, and even though it doesn't 'feel' like fall, I found a CFL game to watch (replay) of BC vs CGY.

If I'm not mistaken, 2 weeks til NCAA kickoff, and 4 days after that, NFL kickoff!! I'm pretty excited about that!!

I had a chance to go see Iowa vs Central MI, but it won't work out now... which stinks, because college football is something amazing to see, from pre-game on.

I cannot wait besides being glued to the TV, I'm planning on going to a Bears game in early December. Notre Dame is playing Arizona State in Cowboys Stadium in October, going to that and might get another college game or two in.

I refuse to pay for streaming of professional sports. With all of the millions and millions of dollars they have, they could easily give it to us for free without hurting their greedy pocketbooks.

Makes me glad that on the rare occasions I feel like watching Football, the local games are enough for me.

I agree...and I miss it! I loved having that thing up on a Sunday and not having to flip channels!

I am fine paying for streaming sports. I live near Dallas and follow mainly Chicago teams. We cancelled our cable a few years ago and use Hulu , Netflix, Amazon, plus a few other streaming services for TV (we borrow a relatives cable login for ESPN and other streaming services). I buy the NHL, MLB, and NFL streaming so I can watch my favorite teams, plus other games of interest.

If I lived in Chicago, I probably would not buy the streaming packages and just watch the teams over the air .. but since I am not, I am fine with buying TV ala cart versus paying for a whole cable package .. plus paying extra for sports.

When I had DirectTV, it was about $80/month plus $250 for football, $99 each for Baseball and Hockey. Now, I do not pay the $80/month and just buy the streaming versions of the sports. This year, football will essentially be $40 with the Amazon Madden pre-order (I am factoring out the cost of the game since I would have bought that anyway). I paid $119 for baseball, I payed extra for the minor league package, Hockey was $69 this past year because of the short season.

I'm interested in the streaming football. I'm going to look into that. I got rid of my satellite a few years ago had have been mainly using Netflix. But, to be able to see any football game playing?? yeay, that's worth the price of admission!

By far, it is an excellent deal ... especially if you were planning on getting the game anyway and if you do not care about the game, stick it on eBay

One of my colleagues, Layn Phillips, just mediated the NFL concussion settlement. See summary here (or on the front page of any American sports page or sports-related website newspaper). He has a fun job.

Last edited:
Back