Official American Football Thread

Me too! After what seems like a lame season of bowl games, I'm looking forward to something good. I hope they are good. AP running for 250 yards, Rogers throwing for 350 yards.

I hate to see this happen, but I think Houston is feeling the pressure. I dunno if they are going to make it out of today's game.

I agree with that. I think its time for Schaub to play like a franchise QB. Or it's time to make a change. I hate to be like this, but I think Dallas has to do the same. I really don't like the Cowboys, and I think Romo is a fine QB, but he clearly doesn't have what it takes to win the big one.

Yeah, just check his stats. Only one (1 !!) TD in the last 4 games and sacked 12 times *cough* that really needs to change vs Bengals D or it is gonna get ugly :D

Exactly. I'll put it this way, he would be a great QB with a team like the 2000 Ravens. When the team is high quality that surrounds him, he could win a Super Bowl. Give him an average team and he won't elevate them. Like Tom Brady can.

Yeah. The thing is, a great QB will find a way to win. Tony Romo makes too many mistakes, too many interceptions are on him alone. If the receiver isn't open don't throw the ball to him. If you are getting pressured in the pocket because your guys can't block make a play with your feet, move out of the pocket and make plays on the run. Find another way to win like great QBs do. Tony Romo doesn't find ways to win. Simple as.

Shame about the injury to Ponder and Webb had to start - it kinda took the excitement out of the game from the get-go. Hopefully the games tonight will be a little more exciting!

The Packers - Niners game next week should be a good one though!

Well, at least I will not need to stay up late and watch the rest of this ... geez what a poor showing

I'd be a lot more gleeful about this if Nick Saban weren't such a putz. Notre Dame is a much more likable team, Te'o in particular, but I'm afraid I can never root for the Irish. Not after the Ty Willingham fiasco. By the way, I met him at the Stanford Rose Bowl tailgater last week. Nice guy. Should never have left Stanford.

This Manti Te'o fake girlfriend story is the most interesting sports story, if not news story, in a LONG time. For those outside the U.S. who may not know the story (it is front-page news here), here is a thumbnail:

The star player of Notre Dame's football team was linebacker Manti Te'o. He supposedly had a girlfriend named Lennay Kekua who died in September, on the same day his grandmother died. It was a touching and, ultimately, inspirational story that got him tremendous publicity and, were it not for a ridiculously spectacular game by a quarterback named Johnny Manziel against the best team in the country, Te'o would likely have won the prestigious Heisman Trophy as the best collegiate football player in the country.

The story broke yesterday that Ms. Kekua never existed, and that Te'o now claimed to have been the victim of a hoax. He'd supposedly been "catfished" -- a term of which I'd never heard before, but apparently these hoaxes are not uncommon -- as he had only known her online and had been misled for over two years regarding her identity. The pictures he'd seen were supposedly of another girl, and there is no record of a girl named Lennay Kekua ever existing, let alone dying. He never met her in person, he claims. Now, such online-only romantic relationships do exist, but they usually don't involve well-known stud athletes. And, even though some members of this forum have gotten together in person, this guy never laid eyes on the woman he described as the "love of his life." Not once. Not even after she was supposedly in a serious car accident, not even after she was diagnosed with leukemia, not even when she was terminal and dying. He never saw her. Even after she died, he did not go to the funeral; he only sent flowers. They never even video chatted.

Sounds fishy, right? He's obviously part of the hoax and did it to give himself publicity, right? Except, the university administrator in charge of the athletics program said in a press conference that the university investigated it and confirmed that, in their view, he really was the victim of the hoax, and that his relationship with her was "exclusively online." The administrator actually broke down and cried in expressing sympathy for Te'o. Hm.

But here's the really, REALLY strange part: Shortly after the news of the hoax broke, another football player, Reagan Mauia, who plays fullback on the professional Arizona Cardinals football club, said that Lennay Kekua DOES exist. (?!) He met her a few years ago before she was involved with Te'o, when they both were doing charitable work in American Samoa. She's apparently tall, athletic, and beautiful, with very long hair. He's spoken with her family, and comforted her when her dad died. When told that Te'o is now claiming she never existed, he responded: "No, she is real." And, Te'o's father was quoted in a news article in October as saying that Te'o had met Ms. Kekua, who he said was a Stanford student (she was not), at the Notre Dame-Stanford football game in 2009 (which Stanford won, btw :D). He also said that she had traveled to Hawaii to hang out with Te'o a few times, and that he had met her personally. Hmmmmmmmm.

And, as of now, that's all we know. Fiction is stranger than truth is stranger than fiction.

Here's what baffles me:
Is Teo so stupid that he could have a two-year love relationship with a girl who never existed?
Or is he so stupid that he thought he could buy publicity with the hoax and think he would never get caught?

Here's what baffles me:
Is Teo so stupid that he could have a two-year love relationship with a girl who never existed?
Or is he so stupid that he thought he could buy publicity with the hoax and think he would never get caught?

No, Te'o is so stupid he could talk for hundreds of hours on the phone with a guy and think it was a girl. I tell you, this story just keeps getting weirder and weirder with every news release! I'm enthralled.

No joke!!

I had originally thought it was a girl that someone had gotten to play the part, but now I just heard it was Tuiosoppo (sp?) talking in a falsetto?? What??

This Manti Te'o fake girlfriend story is the most interesting sports story, if not news story, in a LONG time. For those outside the U.S. who may not know the story (it is front-page news here), here is a thumbnail:

The star player of Notre Dame's football team was linebacker Manti Te'o. He supposedly had a girlfriend named Lennay Kekua who died in September, on the same day his grandmother died. It was a touching and, ultimately, inspirational story that got him tremendous publicity and, were it not for a ridiculously spectacular game by a quarterback named Johnny Manziel against the best team in the country, Te'o would likely have won the prestigious Heisman Trophy as the best collegiate football player in the country.

The story broke yesterday that Ms. Kekua never existed, and that Te'o now claimed to have been the victim of a hoax. He'd supposedly been "catfished" -- a term of which I'd never heard before, but apparently these hoaxes are not uncommon -- as he had only known her online and had been misled for over two years regarding her identity. The pictures he'd seen were supposedly of another girl, and there is no record of a girl named Lennay Kekua ever existing, let alone dying. He never met her in person, he claims. Now, such online-only romantic relationships do exist, but they usually don't involve well-known stud athletes. And, even though some members of this forum have gotten together in person, this guy never laid eyes on the woman he described as the "love of his life....

Catfish are ocean bottom feeders and "Catfished" has been used to described people who pretend to be someone else online and use other people's pictures and names deceiving others... Online "bottom feeders." Not long ago there was a documentary called "Catfish: The Movie" following a guy who had never met his online "girlfriend." His brother, a film student, decided to film this guys quest in finding out who this person was. It was such a hit and he got so many messages of similar experiences that he decided to partner up with his film making buddy and make a show out of it. Happens A LOT. Here is a link to the show (Yes, I know it's on MTV), and to full episodes. If anything just watch the intro where he explains the whole spiel.

http://www.mtv.com/shows/catfish/series.jhtml

Back