Official American Football Thread

Haha! True enough.

I couldn't disagree more. While a Niners/Ravens game would be a fun defensive game to watch, Giants/Patriots is a rematch of the most exciting Super Bowl of the last 10-15 years. Looking forward to it.

I understand what you are saying, and you are probably right, as far as an exciting game goes. I was thinking purely of my 'investment' in the game. I know that Eli is a good QB, but I really don't like him. And Patriots are an amazing team-- for the past decade!-- but I just wanted to see something different. So, even though the game may be really good, my heart has me rooting against the both of them.

Alas, I'll probably root for the Giants, cause I think that gives Coughlin something to throw in the face of everyone in NY-- Bill who?

Everyone is calling yesterday's Super Bowl a "classic" -- and I don't see it. Mario Manningham made a terrific catch down the sideline on the Giants' last possession, and the Giants' punter was the real MVP as he was pinning the Patriots deep all night (resulting in a safety on the first possession), but other than that the game wasn't that interesting and was marred by errors. The Giants had three awful fumbles, but luckily never were hurt by any of them, in part because on one of those fumbles the Patriots committed their own bonehead mistake by having 12 men on the field. The Giants committed an awful coverage mistake late in the game, leaving Welker wide open for a first down that could have iced the game, but then Welker dropped the pass. Then Hernandez and Branch dropped passes on the Patriots' last possession.* Even the Giants' last touchdown was a mistake, for crying out loud. Meh.

* Brady's supermodel wife, Gisele Bundchen, was caught on tape after the game saying "My husband can not f------ throw the ball and catch the ball at the same time. I can't believe they dropped the ball so many times." She's right.

I agree, it was a "classic game" because the outcome was in doubt until the end, but there was some really uneven play by both teams. After an excellent drive to finish the first half and good drive to start the second half, I thought the game would settle into more of a shootout/precise game, but everyone kept shooting themselves in the foot with dropped passes, bad routes, penalties, missed tackles, etc.

I'll take this over the string of NFCs string of blowouts in the late 80s/early 90s ... but both championships games were easily better games than this.

Steve Weatherford is the Giants's punter! I only know because one of my friends went to high school with him, but I thought he had a great game. Overall, it wasn't the best game I ever saw, but it was a good game. It had a little of everything. Some great hits, catches, errors, and good plays. It was a good ambassador for the sport of football, and I enjoyed it quite a lot.

Weatherford had a great game, he pinned the Patriots back deep several times and that lead to the safety. It was a good game, but I think classic should really only apply to a few games ... this was not one of them

On a more heartwarming note ... I liked this guy when the Bears drafted him because I thought he could contribute on Special Teams and maybe beat out Nick Roach or be a replacement for Briggs down the line. Injuries stopped that from happening this year, but it turns out JT Thomas is a real class act, I wish him the best

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/...jt-thomas-gives-life-changing-gift-super-bowl

He was a sixth-round pick who hadn't played a down all season, so it didn't surprise Chicago Bears linebacker J.T. Thomas that most of the kids who attended the team's annual holiday party for children weren't that interested in his autograph.

But one was: 14-year-old Anthony Grandberry from the South Side of Chicago.

Grandberry swore he knew who Thomas was. And even though the rookie from West Virginia was skeptical, he gladly gave Anthony an autograph.

"Honestly, he made me feel like a Pro Bowler," Thomas says, smiling.

A small gesture can make a lasting impression. Thomas was feeling sorry for himself when he met Anthony in December. His first season in the NFL hadn't been at all what he'd hoped. He was put on Chicago's injured reserve list before the season because of lingering hamstring and back issues. It was tough for him to accept that he was a nonfactor for the Bears.

So it mattered that Anthony, who has had severe epilepsy since he was 7 years old, made Thomas feel special that Dec. 13 afternoon at the party at Soldier Field. The player made a vow that he would someday return the favor.

A returned favor might be some free Bears swag for the kid, and Thomas did that on Christmas.

As it turned out, though, Thomas was thinking on a much bigger scale.

On Saturday, the night before Super Bowl XLVI, Thomas walked into Anthony's church on the South Side with two tickets in his hand.

"Hey Anthony, you want to go to the Super Bowl with me?" Thomas asked.

The kid, who just moments before had been singing so loud that his voice cracked each time the choir reached the chorus, suddenly fell silent.

This isn't the first time Thomas has done something extraordinary for a child.

He garnered national attention in May when he took Joslyn Levell, an eighth-grader with spina bifida, to her junior prom because none of the boys at her school had asked her.

Thomas was instantly hailed a hero. But his generosity didn't just change one life.

It changed two.

Thomas always has been a giver. His younger brother, Jared, is autistic. Thomas used to give him baths and do all the things with him that a great big brother does.

He learned from Jared that children with special needs value being treated like they're normal above all else. He saw how much it meant to Jared when the two spent time together. His heart expanded when he saw the beaming smile on Joslyn's face as she introduced Thomas to the boys who'd found other dates for the dance.

The experience with Joslyn made Thomas think about how he could use his platform as an NFL player to do something meaningful. Could a Bears rookie who had yet to play in a pro game change the lives of kids on a regular basis?

Thomas was inspired enough to try. He recently started the J.T. Thomas Foundation, whose primary mission is to raise awareness for children suffering from disabilities.

And he made the first order of business doing something special for Anthony.

Last week, Thomas set his ambitious plan in action. He drove 1,300 miles from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., to Chicago with a group of volunteers who call themselves the "Ready Ready" crew. Along the way, they visited epilepsy centers in Fort Lauderdale and Orlando to raise awareness about a condition that affects more than 300,000 children under the age of 15.

As Thomas has learned, having epilepsy can be a lonely existence for the children coping with it. For parents of epileptic children, finding normalcy and support is draining.

Anthony's mother, Tonya Harris, can't keep a regular job because Anthony requires full-time care. Two brain surgeries were supposed to decrease his seizures substantially, but he still suffers through two or three a week.

"It's stressful not being able to provide like I want to," Harris says.

Dressed in a shirt and tie, Thomas arrived at Revealing Missionary Baptist Church, where Anthony has been a member for a year, early Saturday afternoon. When Anthony saw him, he didn't look at Thomas like he hung the moon. He looked at him like he invented it.

When I asked Anthony, who also received a $1,000 scholarship to attend a summer camp from Thomas, what he planned to do at the Super Bowl, he looked at me as teenagers do when they want you to know how tragically dense you are.

"Have fun!" he shouted.

Duh.

On Sunday, as Thomas picked Anthony up for the game, the kid was wearing a Bears skull cap. It was the only way he could begin an adventure like this.

As Thomas discovered over the next three hours on the drive to Indianapolis, Anthony's singing abilities extend far beyond gospel.

"Any song that comes on the radio, he sings it," Thomas says, laughing. "He doesn't want anyone singing but him. He was pretty much the captain of the radio. It was fun to see him open up."

When Anthony saw Lucas Oil Stadium, the site of the Super Bowl, his mouth fell open just as it did a day earlier, when Thomas handed him the tickets.

Anthony is still learning about football, so Thomas had to explain some of the action. Anthony took lots of pictures, and, naturally, sang all the way back to Chicago.

If the first football game you ever attend is the Super Bowl, wouldn't you sing too?

Thomas' grand plan is to do something like this every year, but in a bigger way. He put up the money to fund this trip, but the hope is that as his foundation grows, so will the outside support.

For now, Thomas is satisfied. He met his goal. And at this point, what he's done for Anthony and Joslyn should get him into the Good Guy Hall Of Fame.

"Me and his relationship has grown for this trip," Thomas says. "My main thing was to make him feel the way I felt, and I believe I accomplished that."

Season starts Wednesday, cannot wait. I am expecting a good year from Chicago (and I get to go to two games this year, they are playing here in Dallas on Oct 1 and I am going to Chicago in December for the Packers game)

But the real question is will my Bills make the playoffs for the first time this millennium.

I think the Bills are going to be good. I think the Bears have a chance to be very good, depending on their D staying healthy.

I think my Chiefs are going to have a rough year, but we are taking the AFC West. Probably by a hair, and it will be decided at the end of the last game of the regular season.

The Bills should be pretty solid this year if Fitzpatrick has a good year, I think the Pats are going to be down a bit this year and the rest of the division looks pretty weak.

I would assume the Chiefs will be better just based on all the injuries they had last year, but their QB position looks weak to me.

Their QB position is weak! I think Cassel is 'ok', but he will always be the guy that needs to have a good team around him to play well. He probably isn't a top 20 QB in this league. But, as the team gets better, he will be good enough. I think we will be solid in our run game, and the defense will be pretty good.

I think that the days of defense winning games are almost over. With the new rules, this league is all high flying, high scoring, and defense doesn't have the impact that it once did. A team like the '85 bears or '00 (was it 2000?) Ravens, where the defense is huge and the offense is just on the field between defensive shows won't win big in this league.

I think that can be said of a lot of QBs ... they can do a solid job if they have enough talent around them ... Cassel seems to get shell shocked a bit if the rush is getting to him and pull off some bonehead plays. I suppose he should get a bit of a pass because he really does not have a ton of experience (college or pros) and could get better. But at best, he is okay and cannot be counted on to pull out games.

The one area defense can still win games is getting turnovers, I agree that a defensive dominate team with little O will probably not win many playoff games, a game with a good D that can get some turnovers, flip field position, and at least minimize the scoring is still important.

You can still win with a great defence if your offence doesn't turn it over.
But it is getting harder.
The Patriots defence is crap but it doesnt slow them down much until the very end.

It will be interesting to see if the Browns do anything for Art Modell this weekend, he obviously did quite a bit for Cleveland (including leaving the name, records, and colors behond), but also obviously will never be forgiven for moving the team.

I had thought that the NFL made him leave the name/colors behind. I'm betting they don't even acknowledge his passing.

Not familiar enough with the Browns ownership to know if its PC or classy enough (depending on your bias) to make that gesture.
There has to be a lot of bitter fans though.

Fine showing by the Bears yesterday (after a horrible start). Marshall is worth way more than they gave up for him ... it is an entirely diffferent offense with him out there snagging balls.

Fine showing by the Bears yesterday (after a horrible start). Marshall is worth way more than they gave up for him ... it is an entirely diffferent offense with him out there snagging balls.
Nice to see someone's big acquisition earning his keep.
Mario Williams a non- factor as the Jets shredded the Bills.
(although a horrible day from Fitzpatrick was the primary culprit in the loss)

So, it looks like Modell's family asked the Browns to not do anything on Sunday. Interesting.

Anyway, Bears looked good after a baaaaad start. Chiefs offense looked ok enough, the D was pretty porous.. and Peyton had to win, didn't he. meh.

Bears vs our inbred neighbors to the north. This is a huge game (I know it is only week 2), getting a 2 game lead would be big

Back