Nicko McBrain

Btw, which is the dark album cover on his jacket in the pic below? TBOS? The others are IM, Killers, TNOTB, POM and SIT.

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, here's the patch:

71ZnPq0TPlL._AC_UX679_.jpg

Well, that's a piece of news. Even if it was a minor stoke, it's incredible what he achieved in such a short time, considering that he needs strength, pace and coordination. Several relatives of mine suffered a stroke, and it took them a lot more time to recover (they didn't have a private therapist to train them daily though). I'm sure the tour has helped him to go further.

Last edited:
Well that just shows what an absolute trooper the guy is. Tbh I don’t really concentrate on the drumming so generally thought it fine in a live environment- they were excellent in Birmingham-but fucking hell, going from being partially paralysed to a full on tour in 5 months! As the saying goes, they don’t make them like this anymore.

But you’d think Bruce would be taking more care over that bloody gong!

What a fucking legend.

Unbelievable that this happened in January and by March he was out there playing an insanely difficult set night after night. I would have completely understood if he decided to retire.

Has off to him and eternally grateful for every day we have with him and this band on this earth. I hope his recovery continues to go as well as it has!

I was shocked by this. I can't believe he soldiered on quietly behind the scenes preparing for the tour when he'd been so ill
Me too. I thought on he looked more emotional than usual when he came down to the front of the stage and everyone was chanting his name - I suppose this puts it into context.

God bless Nicko and I hope he goes on to make a complete recovery. He's a tough old nut :)

Hopefully the Wacken crowd will give a long "Nicko! Nicko! Nicko..." chant tonight at some point.

What a trooper.

Kai Hahto, the drummer of Nightwish, commented on Facebook that he met Nicko before the second Tampere show and learned that Nicko was unable to even hold a drumstick 3 months prior to start of the tour, so what he achieved during a very short period of time is... truly miraculous.

This is also a second, or actually third if we also count Nicko's cancer, time when Maiden dodged a bullet. I doubt that all the doctors would recommend intense touring after a stroke, but...

Nicko, bless him.

Well, that's a piece of news. Even if it was a minor stoke, it's incredible what he achieved in such a short time, considering that he needs strength, pace and coordination. Several relatives of mine suffered a stroke, and it took them a lot more time to recover (they didn't have a private therapist to train them daily though). I'm sure the tour has helped him to go further.

My dad suffered a stroke with hemiparesis back in 2020 and it took him several months to recover, so what Nicko has done is quite remarkable.

Back