RTL
AJFA
KEA
TBA
LOAD
HTSD
DM
Reload

Haven't heard St. Anger or Lulu and don't have any intention of hearing them. Didn't include Garage Inc. but the original disc of classic era bsides would be 5th on the list

I wholeheartedly agree. Never been a fan of The Black Album myself and I could never understand the flak they got for Load when the change happened with the previous album. I think I prefer Hardwired to Self-Destruct to either of them to be honest.

Last edited:
The black album still had hints of their earlier sound in it, whereas Load took a complete shift into hard rock, sometimes even alternative rock territory. The former is far more aggressive and thrash-oriented than the latter.

The black album still had hints of their earlier sound in it, whereas Load took a complete shift into hard rock, sometimes even alternative rock territory. The former is far more aggressive and thrash-oriented than the latter.
That's not, however, why I myself dislike Load and Reload. I just think they're bad, nothing more.

Off the top of my head I’d have to say:
  1. Master Of Puppets
  2. Ride The Lightning
  3. ...And Justice For All
  4. Hardwired To Self-Destruct
  5. Death Magnetic
  6. Metallica
  7. Load
  8. Kill ‘Em All (really hate Hetfield’s vox here)
  9. Reload
I’d also put Garage Dayz Re-Revisited at #3 if it were in the running.

If everyone else is doing it...

01: Ride The Lightning
02: ...And Justice For All
03: Master of Puppets
04: Death Magnetic
05: Metallica (Black Album)
06: Kill 'Em All
07: Hardwired...To Self-Destruct
08: Reload
09: Load
10: St. Anger
11: Lulu

The quality of the albums take a steep drop after Kill 'Em All on my ranking.

Off the top of my head I’d have to say:
  1. Master Of Puppets
  2. Ride The Lightning
  3. ...And Justice For All
  4. Hardwired To Self-Destruct
  5. Death Magnetic
  6. Metallica
  7. Load
  8. Kill ‘Em All (really hate Hetfield’s vox here)
  9. Reload
I’d also put Garage Dayz Re-Revisited at #3 if it were in the running.

I would put Kill 'Em All higher on that list (regardless of Hetfield's vocals), but I do agree with you on the covers album. Great stuff (or at least better than most of their original stuff)!

Last edited:
  1. Ride the Lightning
  2. Master of Puppets
  3. Hardwired... to Self-Destruct
  4. ...And Justice for All
  5. Metallica
  6. Load
  7. Reload

I doubt there will ever be some agreeable consensus on Metallica albums since lists here don't even have same number of albums.
And this is happening at a peak of lists season!

Anyway, it's RTL, MOP, AJFA and DM in upper tier, everything else in lower tier for me (lower tier being albums I've rarely listen or have desire to listen again).

Ride the lightning
Kill em all
And justice for all
Master of puppets
Load
S/T
Hardwired
Garage inc
Reload
Death magnetic
St anger
Lulu

Robert Trujillo says that the next Metallica album will come along a lot sooner than the last two.

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

AJFA
Lightning
Kill'em All
Puppets
DM
Hardwired
Load
Black
Reload
StAnger

S&M 2: This Time It's Not S&M 1

Setlist speculation time! Sounds like a good opportunity to bring back "No Leaf Clover". If that happens I will swim to San Francisco to witness it.

Back