Legacy of the Beast Tour 2018 - CONTAINS SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right, let's get on board with the air drumming Blaze meme instead:
QKfD_o.gif
Sooo that's how they did drums on Virtual XI.

This is a interview with Steve about the upcoming show at the Wanda Metropolitano stadium:

http://www.rafabasa.com/2018/06/14/...oncierto-en-el-wanda-metropolitano-de-madrid/

I translated one part that is a proof that Bruce has a big role on the setlist - I think the whole idea for this tour is created by Bruce (and by Rod of course :D)

''Without a doubt I think it's a spectacular show/montage. When we were doing the pre-production we already realized that it was going to be something very big. When you are with the design you never know for sure how it will look, but luckily it has turned out fantastic. I am sure that no one will be disappointed with the concerts, it is a great show and the repertoire, which has been chosen mostly by Bruce, is quite good, there are even a couple of songs that we did not play for many years, as well which is pretty cool.''

Also, from the interview it seems that the inclusions of Where Eagles Dare, SOTC, The Clansman are made by Bruce - the inflatable plane too, which is obvious !

Steve's thoughts on FOI:

''We had not played "Flight Of Icarus" for a long time, so I really like having it recovered. In addition, the stage setting on that subject is very powerful and people seem to have liked to listen to it live again.'' (he really likes the inflatable Icarus a lot and he is very impressed by the ''BIG'' Spitfire)

''I'm enjoying "Flight Of Icarus" a lot because we had not played it for a long time, also "Sign Of The Cross" ... there are many high points in the repertoire, so I have trouble choosing one. However, I would say that those two are the ones that most reach me.''

On question about the future plans of the band:

''Of course we want to keep doing things in the future, in fact we have many things in our heads. We want to keep turning ... we will have to wait and see. This tour is going very well and we will continue from there.''

... Amazing poster for the show on the Atletico Madrid's home stadium:

https://as01.epimg.net/futbol/image...6287_1528833773_infografia_gigante_normal.png

Last edited:
It's interesting that Bruce picked the two Blaze era songs.

Although, and I say this as the massive Blaze fan you all know I am, maybe he did so in part because they are lengthy songs that go a bit easier on his voice. They are definitely not as challenging as some other parts in the setlist, and the break may be welcome to him.

It's interesting that Bruce picked the two Blaze era songs.

Although, and I say this as the massive Blaze fan you all know I am, maybe he did so in part because they are lengthy songs that go a bit easier on his voice. They are definitely not as challenging as some other parts in the setlist, and the break may be welcome to him.

I think so too. And well, he seemed to genuinely enjoy those songs back in 1999-03 and after all, they're very "maidenish" songs and both written by Steve only, so perhaps it's not too big deal that he didn't sing them on the record. The same thing with songs like Phantom of the Opera, I suppose. It's pretty cool that Bruce is so fond of those two Blaze-era songs. And while playing two late-90's songs is definitely interesting enough as a curiousity too, those two really stand out in the set. It's also very cool, especially when considering it's not an 80's oldie, that after 15 years absence from the set all audiences are immediatly singing their hearts out with The Clansman. Whatever some people might not think too highly of the song, it's a very strong live number nonetheless and Bruce's interaction with the audience and the audience involvement in general is pretty impressive every time, even when compared to biggest classics.

Maybe Clansman and SOTC are bigger classics than most people would think. At least The Clansman had a massive reception in Berlin.

Maybe Clansman and SOTC are bigger classics than most people would think. At least The Clansman had a massive reception in Berlin.

Pretty much so. I suppose we should thank Rock in Rio for that; I like Blaze's vocals on them too, but Bruce really brought those songs to a whole new level and nailed them like they were "his own". I know many casual fans who've listened to RIR quite a lot and I suppose for many fans it's one of the first if not THE first live record they've heard from Maiden. The Clansman seems to have stuck in people's head pretty well. Also, many people who don't really enjoy or listen to Blaze albums at all usually came up with comment "-- but The Clansman is a great song though."

Clansman is a classic. The crowd participation is amazing during every show.

SOTC is an epic song and a rarity, but I wouldn't consider it a classic. I'd put it in the same bracket as To Tame A Land.

SOTC is easy on Bruce, much more difficult for the rest of the band.
The Clansman is easy on both.
FOI and FTGGOG are more difficult for Bruce than they are for the band.

So it seems that they made a good division of labor.

SOTC is an epic song and a rarity, but I wouldn't consider it a classic. I'd put it in the same bracket as To Tame A Land.

I'd disagree. To Tame a Land was only played during the World Piece Tour and it was never on any live album or compilation. Sign of the Cross was played on three tours before the current one, appears on a popular live album and on three compilations, including one that is currently being promoted (From Fear to Eternity). I'm pretty sure that a lot more people are familiar with it than with To Tame a Land.

I always considered Sign Of The Cross and The Clansman as a classics and they are masterpiece epics.

Last edited:
I'd disagree. To Tame a Land was only played during the World Piece Tour and it was never on any live album or compilation. Sign of the Cross was played on three tours before the current one, appears on a popular live album and on three compilations, including one that is currently being promoted (From Fear to Eternity). I'm pretty sure that a lot more people are familiar with it than with To Tame a Land.

And that is criminal.

Anyways, SOTC is not a classic yet (IMO), while Clansman is. Maybe I picked TTAL wrongly. Dance Of Death would be better for this comparison. I measure this simply on audience response, where Clansman is almost reaching FOTD-levels of crowd participation and I simply can't put SOTC on the same level as Rime or SSOASS (yet).

We diehard fans can say yes, this is a classic for SOTC, but most of the conventional fanbase wouldn't.

I'm pretty sure that a lot more people are familiar with it than with To Tame a Land.

Hm. I have few friends that know 1980s by heart and would be hard pressed to name 5 post-FOTD songs.

Hey it might've been even several.

P.S. My post is just saying, nothing more. I was a bit in awe to find out one buddy isn't aware of what they've been doing in last 20 years but knows songs such as Deja Vu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back