Iron Maiden Tour 2025 - Discussion

Don't know if it's the same in the US, but at least around here there's definitely a lot of crossover of Maiden and GnR fans in the general populace, which is mostly old geezers (either actual ones or spiritual ones), which is the case with rock in general (although Metallica are really good at bringing a lot of casuals who know mostly Nothing Else Matters and Mama Said, primarily on name recognition alone).

So from a marketing point of view, that would seem quite logical and might have quite a pull, however I can't somehow imagine the bands cooperating much, they give off vastly different vibes and I wonder if having Bruce and Axl on the same stage is a good idea (didn't they have some feud too?)

Tool... unless they somehow have a much bigger crossover appeal over the pond, I can't imagine that. They're a much more niche band than even, say, Dream Theater and at least to me they feel like they attract a completely different audience. Despite being technically "prog", I see them vibing more with the Nine Inch Nails or someone from the Lollapalooza crowd, but maybe that's just me.

BTW how about DT themselves? They toured with IM in the past, DT members are fans of IM, 'Arry used to like DT himself, they're both moderately successful with the public and they feel compatible, melody-wise, spiritually... Also, with Portnoy kinda bridled nowadays, there are probably no competing personalities.

If there wasn't the history with Ozzy/Sharon/whomever (but then again, Axl and Bruce also had problems with each other - little wonder) and if they weren't simply too old for anything, Sabbath - Maiden would seem a really good match.
In the US Tool is definitely at about the same level as Maiden. They are radio staples and have several very well known songs. They play similar arenas on tour. I would even say they are possibly the most mainstream Metal band to come out of the mid 90s/00s. Again going back to Power Trip, the fact that they were the only non 70s/80s act on the bill says it all.

DT isn’t even really in the same league, they are a midsize theater act at best. Even on their current reunion tour they’re not filling up the arenas, last I checked the upper bowl of O2 wasn’t even on sale (and probably won’t go on sale). It’s also worth mentioning that when they opened for Maiden in NA in 2010, Maiden themselves hadn’t yet fully upgraded to arenas. They were still playing amphitheaters on a lot of those dates.

Think GNR would be in the same bracket as Metallica and AC/DC, i.e. Maiden are never going to be headlining over them. GNR don't need a package for stadium gigs.
It’s possible. I’m skeptical that GNR can sustain the crowd sizes with the amount of touring they’ve done. They have already downgraded their venue sizes a bit on last year’s leg.

Taking a look at the 2024 US sales, I think Maiden would be lucky to sell out half the arenas next time. They never stepped up in that market, doing the same thing for 25 years. They've peaked in 2019 but unless they drastically change something in their touring methods, the next US tour will be even worse than this one, whatever the support act is. Even Lamb of God/Mastodon sold out the Forum.

I've always blame their management for this. They don't wanna do something special and attractive for fans, stage production, touring methods - all around the same. I'm wonder if they propose something special next year or do the same as usual. Sooner or later people will feel sick of this same old sh*t.

I've always blame their management for this. They don't wanna do something special and attractive for fans, stage production, touring methods - all around the same. I'm wonder if they propose something special next year or do the same as usual. Sooner or later people will feel sick of this same old sh*t.
Chill.

Taking a look at the 2024 US sales, I think Maiden would be lucky to sell out half the arenas next time. They never stepped up in that market, doing the same thing for 25 years.
As if they didn't scale from mid size theaters to amphitheaters to arenas in that timespan. :facepalm:

Also the tour hasn't started yet, still plenty of time to buy tickets.

As if they didn't scale from mid size theaters to amphitheaters to arenas in that timespan. :facepalm:

What's that supposed to mean? Maiden were getting bigger (again) everywhere. That's not stepping up, that's adjusting the capacities. They've been stuck with arenas and amphitheaters forever now. While once they were able to fill them anyway, it's clear that they've lost the momentum there. Take LA for example: first time they don't go over 20k since 2008. Doesn't matter if it will sell out (it's crazy just to think there is a possibility it couldn't) or not, the demand is just not there anymore. Same with the NY area. Also, they're giving away tickets for $25 for some shows, so even if you see full arenas (which are smaller compared to the amphitheaters they were playing a few years ago) it doesn't mean it's all good.

And it's not a common factor for every artist: basically everyone is doing amazing numbers and breaking their previous records, despite higher prices and the overlapping of tours. Everyone but Maiden, I would say? Ok, they're never going to be on the same levels of popularity of Judas Priest, but it's clear they lost quite a lot in the US. The only time they actually tried something else was in 2019, by playing a (small) stadium in LA. Needless to say, it sold out relatively quickly. Apart from that, I think it always has been San Bernardino/Forum/Irvine on loop.

As if die hard fans don't have harsh words for their favorite band. Trust me, my favorite album is Virtual XI, unironically. People have been dunking and shitting on it for literal decades. Let's not pretend that fans are always cordial and charitable with their views.

Nor they should be, IMHO. I mean, if you really love the band, it's personal. You want them to be the best version of themselves. You want them to create something magnificent, not just coast on the waves of their success or something. You are giving them your love and passion (and often, money) and you kinda want some of their love back.

My wife is the best. I love no-one else this much. I have a connection with here that's quite ineffable, undescribable. She is my everything. We still argue though, sometimes quite heatedly. I certainly don't want to hold my relationship to a band to a higher standard :D

I, personally, think it is very funny that after Maiden went on its biggest tour ever, with new production items and flamethrowers, that we're already back to criticising "same old Maiden".

Bruce has a rocket gun fight with Eddie. They added screens for the first time. Multiple venues on the tour are sold out. Who cares about the rest of it?

What's that supposed to mean? Maiden were getting bigger (again) everywhere. That's not stepping up, that's adjusting the capacities. They've been stuck with arenas and amphitheaters forever now. While once they were able to fill them anyway, it's clear that they've lost the momentum there. Take LA for example: first time they don't go over 20k since 2008. Doesn't matter if it will sell out (it's crazy just to think there is a possibility it couldn't) or not, the demand is just not there anymore. Same with the NY area. Also, they're giving away tickets for $25 for some shows, so even if you see full arenas (which are smaller compared to the amphitheaters they were playing a few years ago) it doesn't mean it's all good.

And it's not a common factor for every artist: basically everyone is doing amazing numbers and breaking their previous records, despite higher prices and the overlapping of tours. Everyone but Maiden, I would say? Ok, they're never going to be on the same levels of popularity of Judas Priest, but it's clear they lost quite a lot in the US. The only time they actually tried something else was in 2019, by playing a (small) stadium in LA. Needless to say, it sold out relatively quickly. Apart from that, I think it always has been San Bernardino/Forum/Irvine on loop.
I don't think Priests are more popular than Maiden in the US. And didn't you share that opinion some months ago? It's hard to tell now how 2024 leg works in fact, generally there is not high demand for Senjutsu/SiT themed tour in US, so predictable situation. Their chance is to do something special for 50 Anniversary, if not the fans (generally) might lost interest in them.

It is certainly true that the Maiden management hasn't pushed to upscale the live production etc. but then again... so what?

At this point, I honestly doubt that getting significantly bigger in the US is on their agenda. It certainly was, or might have been not too long ago (SBIT-TFF-ME runs) but I honestly don't think that getting to play bigger shows in North America is something they're particularly aiming for right now.

I mean, if an opportunity and some doable concept for that presents itself, why not, but I'd say that there's nothing wrong with being somewhat content with their current status as a live act - that still seems to be quite a profitable business for them.

Maiden show has been "arena optimized" for ages and they still get to play major festivals and stadiums in certain markets, they still have a huge global demand as a live act in general, including (all things considered) a steady enough following in North America as well, so...

I honestly don't blame them for potentially NOT being overly ambitious with the couple of runs they might have left. Again, I'm sure they're planning something exciting and most likely (like it has been for the past few tours as well) there will be one or two new tricks in their sleeve, but I'm not expecting any major twists to their status quo as a touring band.

Given the quality of the Maiden live shows from...e.g the past decade or so, I honestly don't think that many people are tired with 'same old shit'

Most Maiden fans know that when they buy tickets for a Maiden show, they'll get a Maiden show - and that is usually rather fantastic!

but I honestly don't think that getting to play bigger shows in North America is something they're particularly aiming for right now.

Well right now it's more of a "keep playing the same venues" thing than anything else.
But yeah probably right now it's too late and they don't wanna even bother investing too much in the US. Getting a ticket for 20 bucks and having certainty that you're gonna win FTTB it's not bad for a Maiden fan, after all. It could be bad for the band itself but they don't seem to care that much. After all they're having a new life in Europe and South America.

I, personally, think it is very funny that after Maiden went on its biggest tour ever, with new production items and flamethrowers, that we're already back to criticising "same old Maiden".

Bruce has a rocket gun fight with Eddie. They added screens for the first time. Multiple venues on the tour are sold out. Who cares about the rest of it?
Generally you are pretty right, we talk about the current situation and try to predict their future plans. TFP tour 2024 seems to sell OK, but their management should propose something really special to attract fans and re-create boost around the band. I perfectly remember 2008 when they used EF1 for a very first time, and people around went crazy. Now is the right moment to do something special once again. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong and they have the aces up their sleeves. I would like to be wrong this time.

I honestly don't think significantly upgrading their shows/production for bigger venues would be a smart move for Maiden financially. It would require significant investment and increased touring costs with no guarantee of success. They can make some tweaks to what they do to keep things fresh. LOTB was a fantastic show, realistically what else can they add at this stage? A bigger video screen? More pyro? More staging? There's not much they could do thst would be groundbreaking.

I read some utter nonsense here and can't be fucked quoting individual posts....

In terms of production issues; have you been to see other bands live? Good fuck, Maiden piss all over 95% of lives shows in terms of production and energy and that's a damn fact.

And in terms of stepping up? What can they do? Write a hit single or 12? A band steps up cos people like their music, not because their manager books a big gig.

The motherfuckers have topped the charts in various territories with their last 2 albums and the last UK/Ireland tour sold out in record time without an all time classic stage show or greatest hits package. I've been buying Maiden tickets on near every tour since 1996 and 2023 was the only time I got pushed into the seats due to demand.

They will never have the regular stadium draw of say Metallica or GnR or DC. So what? They can't just decide to be that big and book ridiculous sized venues. They are as big as they are based on the music they make and the shows they play. Simple.

This times a thousand! Just goes to show you can never please everyone, no matter what you do.

Rammstein has a bigger show, but they're the only one? Maybe Metallica? Kiss had a pretty good stage show, with interactive stage parts, but that was needed because Kiss sucked live. Sorry, "live".

When you look at what massive pop acts are doing, their innovations are screens, dancers, and costumes, which again, distracts you from what's going on in front of you.

When I go to see Iron Maiden, I want to have the time to watch the greatest active bassist in the world, two of the best metal guitarists of all time, and Janick, do their thing. I like having the time to look at H as he solos, or catch Dave smiling, and to watch Steve sing every fuckin' word. Sorry, *that* is what is special to me.

Back