GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Yes, you’ve been carrying the torch for that Sabbath era for a long time and I’ve never really followed up. My loss. Too bad it got this match-up. It‘s well worth listening to.
I've listened a few times, there's some really good stuff in there, but it always seems to drift away from my regular play. I'm going to try to rectify that, really enjoying the late 80s-90s stuff that Foro has shared.

Calm Wizard...
Everyone is very calm here.
Tolerant, respecful Wizard...
LC was being generous and allowing other stuff too.

:ok:
Music critic Wizard...
It's laughable that a mediocore Power/Prog Metal album from 2019 has made it into a Top 100!
I got bored as fuck by Sleep so I've voted for Van Halen!
Bands like Suffocation and Deicide are atrocious!
I lasted less then ten seconds of The Dillinger Escape Plan before turning it off!
Rage are boring!
I loathe everything Napalm Death have done!
They are an awful band whose so-called music has absolutely no redeeming factors!
This Liquid Tension Experiment song is just an extremely irritating version of some Dream Theater songs!
Godflesh whose song was plodding and dull with crappy vocals!
Both Obituary and Meshuggah are shit!
I don't need to listen to White Zombie!
I have no interest in King Diamond!
Anything is preferable to Arch Enemy or Possessed!
Phil Anselmo is a white supremacist!
Rhapsody/Rhapsody of Fire/whatever they're called on this album are completely ridiculous!
I have little interest in instrumental music!
HIM are really shit and I don't care for Fear Factory!
I can't stand Samael or Possessed!
50% of ex-Pantera members are/were white supremacists!
I have no interest in Sons of Apollo!
I don't give a damn about instrumental music!
I can't fucking stand King Diamond's vocals!
Bullet for my Valentine are not a Metal band!
Bullet for my Valentine are a heap of junk!
Possessed are absolutely dreadful!
All Led Zeppelin albums should be disqualified!
No more Emo bands in this tournament!
Strapping Young Lad are a load of shit!
I can't stand System of a Down!
This Corrosion of Conformity song is shit!
If Pink Floyd win this tournament then it really will have been a colossal waste of my time!
You're fucking right you dickhead.
Fuck you
You're a fucking wanker
I'm gonna kick you right in the balls
Fuck you
Fuck you with an anchor
You're all cunts so fuck you all
I told you guys that I'm a fucking Wizard.
File this one under "overreaction".

Last edited:
The only lists worth doing are lists worth doing well. (It's getting pretty late here so if there are grammar/logical mistakes, you'll know why. Then again, I make a lot of logical mistakes throughout the day. Also grammar mistakes nowadays. Used to be better when younger.)

Calm Wizard...

Tolerant, respecful Wizard...

Music critic Wizard...
tenor.gif

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II - The bro metal approach of New American Wave of Heavy Metal bands wears on me very quickly. Led Zeppelin II isn't a metal record but its proto-metal credentials are enough for it to get the vote over much inferior competition.

Black Sabbath - The Eternal Idol - I don't care much about The Eternal Idol and Wish You Were Here is a Top 50 album of all-time for me, but the vote goes to Black Sabbath by default due to reasons of game integrity.

Bloodbound - Nosferatu - In a clash of two power metal bands, I'll go with the one whose riffing was superior. They manage to stay one step removed from full-blown cheese on this particular track as well.

Sepultura - Roots - I like Porcupine Tree a lot, but In Absentia isn't one of their albums that I hold in high esteem and considering that they're a prog rock band with the occasional foray into metal here, decent metal competition would have them defeated. Roots is that. Not a great album, but "Roots Bloody Roots" is great enough to get the vote for the purposes of this game.

Eternal Idol is a classic, deserves more votes. The playing is fantastic, and Tony Martin is right up there with Dio (forget about Ozzy). The Shining is one of my all time favorite Sabbath songs.

A7X was a big album for me growing up, Mckindog is right in that, when I was in middle school, the album was very popular among rock/metal fans. It was a gateway album for a lot of people too. They opened for Maiden while supporting the album and it led a lot of people toward checking out the classics. For me it was the other way around, I was already into Maiden, but it was really exciting to see two of my favorite bands (at the time) with cross-pollinating audiences. The self titled A7X album is colorful and ambitious in a lot of ways for a band that was coming out of the mallcore scene. I don't know who picked Critical Acclaim for the representative song, but it was really the wrong choice for this audience. I would've opted for something like Brompton Cocktail or maybe even Gunslinger. I have good things to say about every track regardless.

Couldn't in good conscience vote against Zeppelin II though, which was equally important to my musical development.

You're right, it's not worthy of reading.
You don't have to read my posts then. There's an ignore button for every user.
I don't know who picked Critical Acclaim for the representative song, but it was really the wrong choice for this audience. I would've opted for something like Brompton Cocktail or maybe even Gunslinger. I have good things to say about every track regardless.
I'd have gone with 'A Little Piece of Heaven'.

Floyd influenced a lot of harder bands

Like Blood Incantation, Oranssi Pazuzu, Inter Arma, Blut Aus Nord, etc. not to mention some not as heavy bands like Dream Theatre and Queensryche. They may not be as influential as Led Zeppelin, but they do cast a pretty large shadow. That being said, most of the influence comes from the earlier years, especially Ummagumma, and not Wish You Were Here. Although I bet every metal band who did a ballad in the 80s wishes it was half as good as the title track.

Back