GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

So if it was completely different, then you'd like it? :lol:

Not completely different was the point, there's elements that I like about the vibe of a lot of those tracks they just have a few features that are deal breakers for me, whereas other music has nothing to offer me.

Katatonia brings more atmoshpere and variation than AC/DC.
This Judas Priest cover isn't Death's strongest song on that album, Him isn't bad at all but i prefer Death much more.
Fear Factory isn't my kind of metal at all although the melodic vocal parts were the best of the song. As said before, I prefer the Rust In Peace/Countdown To Extinction/Youthanasia-era of Megadeth instead of their debut. But Megadeth wins this.
With Samael and Possessed we get two bands that are "not in my alley". Possessed is winner by default.

Reactions: Jer
Ah, this is awesome. Thank you for pushing your bands, even if they are in really hard matchups! Seeing why people love certain albums is part of the fun!
Yup... but the contenders are really strong as you mentioned so if they win it's ok. In the case of Seven Churches it's even more justified because it was such an influential record. Nevertheless had to vote for them.. if not I wouldn't be coherent since the other two records weren't on my list (put one Megadeth album there though. And yeah... we all know which one it is :D )

Last edited:
Sorry @karljant , but it looks like our tastes are on opposite ends of the spectrum.
Why so? It's an opinion game and if you don't like it it's ok. Nevertheless Demanufacture was really big thing when it came out, a game changer. Of course if one listens to it today it is hard to see it from that perspective. But even with that disregard it's plain to see it's not your thing and you do prefer Killing Is My Business (which by the way is also a great record) so you did 100% the right thing voting for it.

Katatonia: Didn't like the singing style, but the melodies were all right. The song was a bit too long in my opinion.
AC/DC: I really don't like them.

HIM: Sometimes I just don't get some music. I don't think it's bad or unpleasant, it's just like I had something missing from my brain needed to understand it. It sounds like elevator music, goes inside from one ear and out from another, not leaving any trace inside the head, although the music clearly isn't like that. This song was an example on that. The rhythm and melodies sounded very vague. I didn't like the sound of the singing voice in the middle of the song, and the album cover was very ugly. However, I liked it better than the other alternative.

Death: I've heard this band mentioned many times on this forum, but I had never heard their music, so was curious what it actually sounds like. And this was the perfect opportunity to hear that. Unfortunately I didn't like it too much. The singer sounds like a witch. When I had listened to it for a while, I started getting a bit used to the sound. I thought I could have listened to more of their songs to educate myself further (ones that aren't covers), but the singing voice is still quite tough to listen to for a longer period of time.

I'm well aware that by this vote I'll be showing my lack of class, but I never promised I had a good taste in music. :)

Fear Factory: This just isn't my kind of music.
Megadeth: This just is.

Samael: Not really my thing, and I was a bit afraid because the singer sounded like he was going to be sick in the middle of the song. But I liked it better than Possessed.
Possessed: Too rough for me.

Nevertheless Demanufacture was really big thing when it came out, a game changer.

I mentioned in luisma's "on this day" thread that Maiden had played a poorly attended gig in a mid-level venue in Dublin on the X Factour. I remember the discussion in the queue to get in that day was that the Fear Factory gig a month or two previously at the same venue had a much bigger queue to get in.

I'm actually a bit shocked that Katatonia have done as well as this, I thought AC/DC was an easy win around here.

I enjoyed this Katatonia song way more than I expected. The vocals are unpleasant but musically it's quite interesting. There was enough there for me to throw it a bone as opposed to yet another AC/DC album. 'Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap' doesn't have any songs that have any interest in, and I'm sure they all sound exactly the same as the rest of AC/DC's discography anyway.

Monodeth and Megadeth were easy choices. HIM are really shit and I don't care for Fear Factory.

I can't stand Samael or Possessed, but voted for Possessed because they're winning and it will make a tie less likely.

Reactions: Jer
I mentioned in luisma's "on this day" thread that Maiden had played a poorly attended gig in a mid-level venue in Dublin on the X Factour. I remember the discussion in the queue to get in that day was that the Fear Factory gig a month or two previously at the same venue had a much bigger queue to get in.
It's understandable. Lots of Maiden fans were disappointed with Blaze and the new album while there were a lot of people jumping in the Fear Factory bandwagon. Saw both bands on each tours and liked both gigs (especially Maiden because My Dying Bride opened for them).

Katatonia vs. AC/DC was tough. AC/DC is good, but this album has one song I really like. Meanwhile, Katatonia's vocals aren't great, but I do really dig the music. So, I guess, I'll pick Katatonia.

HIM is definitely a gamechanger. The problem is that I don't like the new game. Death.

Fear Factory is basically the same as above, not my style, not my thing. Megadeth with an iffy album still wins for me.

Samael over Possessed in a contest I don't much care about.

I'm more of a fan of modern Katatonia, but I'll still take this over ACDC.

I appreciate all they brought to the table, but Death just isn't for me. Voting for HIM.

Megadeth in an easy decision.

Samael in a less-easy decision.

Back