GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Led Zeppelin beats Avenged Sevenfold fairly easily. There's lots more A7X in the game. They're back in League 9.
Pink Floyd squeaks out Black Sabbath by just one vote. I believe that means both Wiz and Foro are triggered. Sabbath shows up again next.
A tie between Bloodbound and Virgin Steele means there will be Extra Time at the end of League 13.
Porcupine Tree beats Sepultura. The Brazilians return in League 4.

In-Flames_Whoracle.jpg

In Flames - Whoracle (1997)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @Black Wizard
League 13 - Match 17vs.
Gr_snm.jpg

Gamma Ray - Sigh No More (1991)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Forostar
Previous Rounds:
League 14: Defeated Pretty Maids - Future World 14-4.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Negura_bunget_om_2006.png

Negura Bunget - OM (2006)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Magnus
League 13 - Match 18vs.
TalesFromTheThousandLakes.jpg

Amorphis - Tales From the Thousand Lakes (1994)

How it got here

Previous Rounds:
League 14: Defeated Rhapsody - Symphony of Enchanted Lands 13-5.

NirvanaNevermindalbumcover.jpg

Nirvana - Nevermind (1991)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Travis The Dragon
League 13 - Match 19vs.
SabbathTyr.jpg

Black Sabbath - Tyr (1990)

How it got here

Previous Rounds:
League 14: Defeated Angra - Rebirth 11-7.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alter_Bridge_-_Walk_the_Sky.png

Alter Bridge - Walk the Sky (2019)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @The Dissident
League 13 - Match 20vs.
Gutterballlet.jpg

Savatage - Gutter Ballet (1989)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 33
League 15: Defeated Buckethead - Pepper’s Ghost 9-8.
League 14: Defeated Omnium Gatherum - New World Shadows 13-5.

I know you have explained how you choose songs to represent the albums, but Clear Horizon is not even in the top half of Walk the Sky. I would recommend two other songs that better showcase Walk the Sky:

I love early In Flames and early Gamma Ray, so the first match is an exciting one. You really can't beat In Flames' riffs and harmonies though, so I'm going with them.

Never heard of Negura Bunget before but this is some of the weirdest Metal I've heard. What's with the xylophone? I wasn't convinced at first but I found myself really enjoying it by the end. The production is super rough, but you can tell that these guys have ambitions beyond their low budget and I can appreciate that. This is the first album in the game I'll be saving on spotify. It's against a bit of a behemoth Amorphis album, but I'm going to give it to what I presume to be the underdog here: Negura.

I don't remember Tyr being one of the better Martin-era Sabbath albums, but I really liked Jerusalem and I'd hate to see another casualty as a result of a band not playing by the rules.

The Alter Bridge song LC posted is unavailable for me, so I'm checking out Ariana's first pick instead. So far my experience with Alter Bridge has been lukewarm: they have decent material but are kinda bland. That seems to hold true for this song as well. Good chorus though. Savatage, on the other hand, is pretty heavy on the cheese but they always manage to make it work. I'm never really going to listen to either bands, but Savatage at least has more interesting guitar work.

In Flames music had a ton of great melody and that helped make the vocals less intrusive for me. The composition seemed to meander without any kind of dramatic payoff, but it felt like the type of song that would grow on me with repeated listening.

The Gamma Ray song also leans heavy on the melody with a more familiar song structure. I prefer the heavier sound of the In Flames record, but I’m always going to prefer more conventional vocal stylings, even if the Gamma Ray singer is a tad shrill.

Two pretty solid offerings that I'd listen to again. Gamma Ray gets my vote In a close one.

Negura Bunget gets points for creativity: I haven’t heard that particular mashup of sounds before. Very atmospheric, but also completely over the top. There were times I found myself chuckling and thinking “they can’t be serious.” Cant see myself ever listening to that again for pleasure.

Amorphis is flat out good musically, despite my antipathy for that type of singing. Easy win here.

I know you have explained how you choose songs to represent the albums, but Clear Horizon is not even in the top half of Walk the Sky. I would recommend two other songs that better showcase Walk the Sky:
Blame @The Dissident, he sent me the nomination. Forever Falling is what I would have selected for the showcase myself.

I'm actually going to listen to all 8 albums in full this round (and possible the next few rounds as well) since I have plenty of time now..
You're on vacation? Edit: Oh shit, just saw the other post.

Random observation: That Nirvana song is far more metal to my ears than at least half of the power metal acts we’ve been exposed to in this game. Genre definitions are odd beasts.

I find the production of Tony Martin-era Sabbath dated: the keyboard lacquer over everything, and the band playing somewhere well down an aluminum culvert. The song however is superb: a good composition, well performed. Again, I’m voting for Sabbath over what is probably a superior offering from a critical perspective, simply because I’d rather listen to it.

Back