GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

To make things even simpler here's something really near of the missing records I would nominated had it been a 25 album list of ANY genre (nominating more than one per artist /band... I didn't on my original post because I wanted to include more stuff from different bands).
Underlined records are the ones that carried from the other list and I consider to be metal per se.

Tool - Fear Inoculum
Tool - Lateralus
Led Zeppelin - II
Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
Peter Murphy - Lion
Alice In Chains - Alice In Chains
Alice In Chains - Dirt
Alice In Chains - Jar Of Flies/ Sap
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
The Young Gods - L'eau Rouge
The Young Gods - Only Heaven
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Paradise Lost - One Second
The Smiths - The Smiths
The Cult - Love
The Cult - The Cult
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny

Cult Of Luna And Julie Christmas - Mariner
Rosetta - Wake/Lift
Cynic - Traced In Air
Devin Townsend - Infinity
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time
Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

But then again I think most of those records will show up in this game somehow (or already did).

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm fine with it. Some people nominated silly albums. That's fine. Silly teams sometimes show up in football and sometimes do very well in the Cup. The argument can be made - vote against X because I don't think it's metal. How is that any different from vote against X because I don't like growls or I don't like power metal. Whatever man, you guys do you.

There are...64 albums in this league.
WYWH is certainly the furthest from metal. In Utero & Nevermind are grunge, which is heavy music-adjacent. Led Zep II is very much pre-metal, influential and worth considering. Porcupine Tree in general isn't metal but as Lampwick said, they are clearly doing two much heavier albums and he's nominated those. Again, worth considering. But if you start there, what else are you tossing? Def Leppard because they're more glam rock than glam metal by that point? Are we excluding Faith No More?

So yeah, we're talking about one real black sheep and 3-4 albums that are borderline of 64.

Tired of it. Vote how you want, but the contest is not compromised.

Avenged Sevenfold is weird. The guitarist thinks he’s in a metal band, the singer thinks he’s in a punk band, and the songs meander through symphonic, pop, and country territory too. There are some nice musical passages in places, but these disparate elements aren’t fused together into any kind of coherent package. Prior to the GMAC I would have said the singer sucks, too — but after hearing the digestive gurgles of so many different extreme vocalists, this guy is a ray of sunshine by comparison. Let’s just say he’s not to my taste. Led Zeppelin II has a few classics and a lot of filler. While I would relish the chance to vote against it, I can’t really justify doing that in this particular match-up. Sorry, @FTB . Winner: Led Zeppelin

Hadn’t actually listened to this Pink Floyd album in its entirety before. The instrumental sections are excellent, but I’m less enthralled by the vocal parts. The consistency of feeling is great, though. Unfortunately, it’s up against a very strong, well-crafted Black Sabbath album. Sorry, @Night Prowler , but I would prefer @Forostar ‘s choice even before applying any metal album contest bias. Winner: Black Sabbath

This Bloodbound album is just a pile of musical ideas lifted from Iron Maiden, Helloween, and Gamma Ray songs, then thrown in a blender. While it’s pretty well executed for what it is, I don’t hear the slightest hint of originality, or any kind of unifying “Bloodbound sound”, and there’s a lot of borderline plagiarism here. The Virgin Steele album is much more ambitious and original sounding, despite its low rent synth orchestration. Sorry, @Kalata , but I have to reward musical integrity here. Winner: Virgin Steele

Hadn’t heard this Porcupine Tree album before, and it’s great. Classy songwriting, strong performances, and I definitely want to listen to it some more. While it has a few metal riffs in it, it’s not really a metal album at all — just prog rock with an occasionally bad temper. And that’s OK...for now. Meanwhile, the Sepultura album has a few nice native instrument elements to it, but those vocals are a dealbreaker for me. Sorry again, @Spambot , but I need to go with @Lampwick 43 ’s choice here. Winner: Porcupine Tree

Tired of it. Vote how you want, but the contest is not compromised.
Chill man... You've done an overall great and immense job as far as I'm concerned setting the rules, presentation and the whole game in general. It's like you say... so what if the filter you put on the albums' admission has a couple of holes in it? If anyone is responsible for WYWH being in this game is ultimately the people who are still voting for it. And even that is fine for me: if they want to call Kraftwerk or Bjork metal and vote for them ok, though It continues to be completely out of place.

hahahahaha go fuck yourself

Well, I agree that throwing all the work so far into the gutter might be seen as slightly more annoying than to keep listening to all that "not metaaaaal" bawling pro futuro, but isn't it also rather close? Dunno, you be the judge.

I like what you're doing and I'll keep voting for Pink Floyd over even - gasp - latter-day Sabbath albums. Wish Nirvana would get lost, though.

One of the lads from Kreator is wearing a Pink Floyd shirt on the picture disc of Extreme Aggression, so I think that qualifies enough to get them labelled "metal adjacent":lol:

One of the lads from Kreator is wearing a Pink Floyd shirt on the picture disc of Extreme Aggression, so I think that qualifies enough to get them labelled "metal adjacent":lol:
It does not, but I suppose you're joking. Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber have been photographed wearing Metal t-shirts. Perhaps they should have album in this tournament too.
They aren't going to win it. It will come up against Reign in Blood or something and get smashed
I highly doubt Pink Floyd will win the whole tournament. Especially over all the Maiden albums, and classic albums like Painkiller, Heaven and Hell, Ride the Lightning, etc.

I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of the top 50 or so albums will all be inarguably metal.
If the Pink Floyd album even gets far enough to come up against monolithic albums like that then it's gone too far and spoiled the tournament.
Silly teams sometimes show up in football and sometimes do very well in the Cup.
This can only happen if the silly team is registered as a football club with the relevant football association. As far as I know the only time a non-football team has competed in a football tournament was when Bon Accord Cricket Club accidentally entered the Scottish Cup (a long, long time ago) and were beaten 36-0 (thirty-six) by Arbroath. In response, the Scottish Football Association introduced a qualifying tournament to weed out the really shit teams and stop non-football clubs from entering. The analogy doesn't fit here.

A Pink Floyd album being entered into this tournament is more like the New Zealand Rugby team entering a football tournament and being allowed to play and score by rugby rules. Or perhaps a basketball team playing against a netball team but using the basketball rules. Neither of these scenarios would be a fair competition, and neither is it fair for a megalithic non-Metal band like Pink Floyd to be in this tournament. It's likely to sail through a few rounds against more obscure bands either from website lists or user nominations. If we're trying to find the Greatest Metal Album then I think we should be judging which album is the better Metal album, but the presence of a Pink Floyd album means that extreme exposure bias will prevail and user nominated bona fide Metal albums won't get a chance to breathe against such an opponent. I suspect that most people would see Pink Floyd against a band they're not familar with and vote for Pink Floyd without giving the opponent a fair chance. One song versus decades of legacy isn't a fair competition.

I get that some bands are borderline and it's debatable as to whether or not they're Metal, so I won't make too big a deal with bands like AC/DC or Led Zeppelin but I will probably continue to vote against them based on my opinion that they're not Metal. However, Pink Floyd is simply taking the piss as we all know they're not Metal. If I'd realized a nomination for Pink Floyd had been accepted then I'd have nominated one or two Fleetwood Mac albums and maybe even something from Post-Hardcore/Screamo bands I listened to more often when I was a teenager like Thrice and Alexisonfire. Diesel could have nominated Poe and Marina, DJ Dityn James could have nominated Taylor Swift, The Flash could have nominated Britney Spears etc.

It does not, but I suppose you're joking. Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber have been photographed wearing Metal t-shirts. Perhaps they should have album in this tournament too.

No it's the other way round. Tom Araya has to have been wearing a Miley Cyrus shirt on the cassette of Haunting the Chapel for it to count.

If the Pink Floyd album even gets far enough to come up against monolithic albums like that then it's gone too far and spoiled the tournament.

This can only happen if the silly team is registered as a football club with the relevant football association. As far as I know the only time a non-football team has competed in a football tournament was when Bon Accord Cricket Club accidentally entered the Scottish Cup (a long, long time ago) and were beaten 36-0 (thirty-six) by Arbroath. In response, the Scottish Football Association introduced a qualifying tournament to weed out the really shit teams and stop non-football clubs from entering. The analogy doesn't fit here.

A Pink Floyd album being entered into this tournament is more like the New Zealand Rugby team entering a football tournament and being allowed to play and score by rugby rules. Or perhaps a basketball team playing against a netball team but using the basketball rules. Neither of these scenarios would be a fair competition, and neither is it fair for a megalithic non-Metal band like Pink Floyd to be in this tournament. It's likely to sail through a few rounds against more obscure bands either from website lists or user nominations. If we're trying to find the Greatest Metal Album then I think we should be judging which album is the better Metal album, but the presence of a Pink Floyd album means that extreme exposure bias will prevail and user nominated bona fide Metal albums won't get a chance to breathe against such an opponent. I suspect that most people would see Pink Floyd against a band they're not familar with and vote for Pink Floyd without giving the opponent a fair chance. One song versus decades of legacy isn't a fair competition.

I get that some bands are borderline and it's debatable as to whether or not they're Metal, so I won't make too big a deal with bands like AC/DC or Led Zeppelin but I will probably continue to vote against them based on my opinion that they're not Metal. However, Pink Floyd is simply taking the piss as we all know they're not Metal. If I'd realized a nomination for Pink Floyd had been accepted then I'd have nominated one or two Fleetwood Mac albums and maybe even something from Post-Hardcore/Screamo bands I listened to more often when I was a teenager like Thrice and Alexisonfire. Diesel could have nominated Poe and Marina, DJ Dityn James could have nominated Taylor Swift, The Flash could have nominated Britney Spears etc.
Metal elitist.

Back