Coronavirus

Wow. 16 pints. That's incredible. I doubt even Niall, Lampwick or Wingman could achieve that feat. What a moron though, he went to protect statues and pissed on a memorial to a policeman killed by a terrorist.

giphy3.gif

I'd say it was like Ozzy at the Alamo, he probably never even realised the monument was there. Not that that excuses it though, having a piss in broad daylight in the middle of a street is enough on it own.

I'd say it was like Ozzy at the Alamo, he probably never even realised the monument was there. Not that that excuses it though, having a piss in broad daylight in the middle of a street is enough on it own.

Hence I only piss in the middle of the street after dark.

So, the two countries with the two dumbest leaders in the world have the most Corona deaths now. Stupid deniers, stupid idiots.

Although it seems logical to assume that the number of deaths in Brazil and the USA would continue increasing for quite some time thanks to their leaders, both countries are - Brazil in particular - lagging behind most Western European nations in number of deaths/million population, which is a more accurate measure of the impact of the pandemic in a given country.

That being said, a much more accurate measure of the impact is the number of excess deaths over a period of time compared to the average for that same period in the past. The last figures I saw indicated that Peru, followed by Spain, were at the top of that table.

Either way, we would have to wait until this is over to see the real impact of this.

Re the starue vandalism, the virus and lockdown has probably caused simmering resentment and anger to boil over.

Attacking statues which are a symbol of British colonialism, as well as those statues of people who were slave traders or involved in brutal repression, is in line with the sentiments of those who criticise racism and inferior treatment of people who aren't white. But tied in with both the far right AKA 'footie lads' and people on the fringes of the BLM related protests are those who are anti-establishment in general. Churchill is a very obvious target for them.

Although it seems logical to assume that the number of deaths in Brazil and the USA would continue increasing for quite some time thanks to their leaders ...

That being said, a much more accurate measure of the impact is the number of excess deaths over a period of time compared to the average for that same period in the past. The last figures I saw indicated that Peru, followed by Spain, were at the top of that table.

Either way, we would have to wait until this is over to see the real impact of this.

US federalism leaves most lockdown decisions up to individual States’ governors rather than the president. As a result, some states took stronger lockdown measures than others, mitigating what might have been worse had it all been left to Trump. Test kit availability is, however, managed on a national level.

My wife’s side of the family’s mostly in Peru. Peru locked down Lima pretty tightly, allowing people out to get groceries and medicine only on certain days (males on one day, females on another). However, I can imagine the Andean, Loreto, and non-Lima coastal provinces remain much less strictly policed. Also, Peru’s highly gregarious culture (lots of parties!) doesn’t lend itself well to social distancing.

But tied in with both the far right AKA 'footie lads' and people on the fringes of the BLM related protests are those who are anti-establishment in general. Churchill is a very obvious target for them.

I hadn’t considered that the far right elements in Britain who maybe wish the war had gone the other way would also target Churchill statues, but that computes.

Last edited:
I hadn’t considered that the far right elements in Britain who maybe wish the war had gone the other way would also target Churchill statues, but that computes.

I am afraid you got this wrong. The far-right elements in Britain were there to "defend our statues" and by that they mean any statue that has imperialist connotations, not to target Churchill statue. To them Churchill is great: a white fat-Brit who has been portrayed as a hero and happened to not like non-whites...

They are a bunch of football hooligans with half a brain (I am being generous here) that otherwise would have been embarrassing the rest of us with their appalling behaviour all around Europe following their football teams or enjoying cheap holidays.

I am afraid you got this wrong. The far-right elements in Britain were there to "defend our statues"

Oh, I took that comment to mean Neo fascists objected to Churchill’s anti-fascist views and formed a bizarre, paradoxical coalition with those who want his statues removed for other reasons.

Over here, the political correctness mobs are already after Thomas Jefferson. Please don’t send boats full of Tory hooligans over to join in on that one. 1812 was bad enough.

Back on topic, what’s this? Hope?

Last edited:
Okay, some basic misunderstandings of the British political scene here if not the political spectrum in general. The old colonial elite fought the Nazis but had many things in common with them politically - white superiority and national superiority being amongst them. What they chiefly hated about the Nazis is that they were a foreign enemy, a threat to Britain's international dominance. They also found them common and uncouth, not part of the genteel classes. Period commentators like the Daily Mail otherwise admired a lot of stuff about the Nazis.

The right wing nutballs protesting at the moment aren't part of any considered political movement. They are pretty much a rabble of troublemakers who like Ghost says would be fighting in pubs, vomiting off hotel balconies in Spain, and instigating mob scuffles around football matches if it wasn't for lockdown. They're using the excuse of protecting statues to try to get into fights with black people and anyone else they don't like. 'Student bashing' used to be a popular sport with the same people. But because nobody's the boss of them and they're such big tough guys, they'll fight the police too and piss on memorials etc.

They also definitely aren't Tories. The Conservative party is traditionally massively elitist, despite them trying to give off a 'party of business' image. British conservatism is quite authoritarian, and is considered more to do with preserving the lot of a very restricted group of people born into the 'right sort' of social class than a lack of restrictions.

Last edited:
Okay, some basic misunderstandings of the British political scene here if not the political spectrum in general. The old colonial elite fought the Nazis but had many things in common with them politically - white superiority and national superiority being amongst them. What they chiefly hated about the Nazis is that they were a foreign enemy, a threat to Britain's international dominance. They also found them common and uncouth, not part of the genteel classes. Period commentators like the Daily Mail otherwise admired a lot of stuff about the Nazis.

The right wing nutballs protesting at the moment aren't part of any considered political movement. They are pretty much a rabble of troublemakers who like Ghost says would be fighting in pubs, vomiting off hotel balconies in Spain, and instigating mob scuffles around football matches if it wasn't for lockdown. They're using the excuse of protecting statues to try to get into fights with black people and anyone else they don't like. 'Student bashing' used to be a popular sport with the same people. But because nobody's the boss of them and they're such big tough guys, they'll fight the police too and piss on memorials etc.

They also definitely aren't Tories. The Conservative party is traditionally massively elitist, despite them trying to give off a 'party of business' image.

I get that. My humor‘s on the dry side. The Tory joke’s because, in Jefferson’s day, they weren’t big fans of his.

Lawrence James’s “The Rise and Fall of the British Empire” concisely depicts the goods and ills of said society. I was appropriately appalled at some things and impressed by others.

This is worth linking again, also British news:

Huzzah, or will it be a letdown?

Yes, I just heard about that. Glad medicine is making some headway.

Has anyone here been following the development of vaccines for COVID-19? There stands to be some landmarks for medical science, including great steps in the development of RNA and DNA vaccines for use on humans. Someone has even been developing a combined COVID and rabies vaccine - likely to be particularly marketable in the developing world and areas where rabies (as well as coronavirus) is a major threat to human health.

There have been a very small number of new tested cases of Corona in Finland lately, so the Government eased many of the restrictions today. I'm waiting impatiently that they would end my unwanted working from home, I really hate it and would like to work in the office every day. My human contacts have become very limited, so it would be nice to actually meet people regularly. :(

Oh, I took that comment to mean Neo fascists objected to Churchill’s anti-fascist views and formed a bizarre, paradoxical coalition with those who want his statues removed for other reasons.

Anti-fascist views? What anti-fascist views? Churchill was fairly supportive of fascist regimes.

End of the off-topic as far as I am concerned.

Back on topic: as of today we have over 42,000 confirmed Covid-19 deaths in the UK. History books would not be kind with Boris 'wannabe Churchill' Johnson and his cabinet of incompetents. :mad:

End of the off-topic as far as I am concerned.

Back on topic: ... Boris 'wannabe Churchill' Johnson
Not really back on topic I see. Don't feed the troll.
'm waiting impatiently that they would end my unwanted working from home, I really hate it and would like to work in the office every day. My human contacts have become very limited, so it would be nice to actually meet people regularly. :(
I am also completely fed up of working from home. I'm bored and extremely unproductive. My employer should give us an update about returning to work at the end of the month so there's a chance we might start returning next month, but I'm expecting to be told to stay home until September.

Not really back on topic I see. Don't feed the troll

Have I hit a nerve by mentioning that Boris measures himself up against his all time hero? :)

Feel free to disagree with me on how well the UK government has done things during the pandemic. World-beating indeed, but for all the wrong reasons! :mad:

Working from home is OK for me, but too many people do not have the luxury of being able to do that. Let’s hope we will all be able to back to a normal life in the near future, because otherwise the future is going to be very bleak.

Last edited:
Working from home is OK for me, but too many people do not have the luxury of being able to do that.
This is one of the saddest things about the pandemic, and has mostly likely contributed heavily to high numbers of cases in poorer areas. I'm not convinced by the argument that industrial disease is a major factor behind higher death rates in certain towns and cities - it's far more likely the high number of cases because people are in lines of work that mean they can't work from home, and population density.

Back