Caught Somewhere In Time

How good is Caught Somewhere in Time on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
@Forostar , yup it was the first bootleg of SiT tour that I acquired. Spectrum, PA. It's known to be the only pro shot boot of the entire tour, albeit the recording is not complete, about 30 mins of the show are missing if I recall correctly. Too bad that the master tapes were already damaged before the transfer :(
Do you have more from this show (professionally recorded)?

Of course, I have the full DVD.
Once I get back home (in 10 days or so), I can upload it somewhere for you.

Of course, I have the full DVD.
Once I get back home (in 10 days or so), I can upload it somewhere for you.
That would be nice !

This CSIT vid on YouTube is a gem. Only 15 thousand people have seen it. When I saw Adrian doing that solo I thought he could do that divebomb at the end if they would bring this back on. The song would gain so much power with three guitarists, also during the harmonies.

Over 6 years on YouTube and (unless my memory fails me!) I don't think I ever saw it. @Zare You? (edit: ah yes, you talked about it here, not sure if the vid was posted)
Uploader says: The only professional recording of this song!!!

Too bad it ends so soon. Live, all the stage lights went out at the songs end, which left Bruce standing alone with his flashing jacket as the only light in the whole arena. Was actually quite impressive.

That would be nice !

This CSIT vid on YouTube is a gem. Only 15 thousand people have seen it. When I saw Adrian doing that solo I thought he could do that divebomb at the end if they would bring this back on. The song would gain so much power with three guitarists, also during the harmonies.

Well, I don't think it's a gem. I've seen countless videos of this CSiT from Spectrum on YT. ancutzamica's channel should have one for sure. Maybe those old Maiden boot uploaders are gone, but I doubt it...

Caught is an amazing song. Though I realise the chorus is of the "SSOASS" variety, and I could imagine people hating the song as a whole, for me it's the best cut off Somewhere. I used to be torn between Caught, Sea and Loneliness and Caught slowly and steadily won the race. The instrumental part is one of my favourites in Maiden discography. 10/10, easily.

The chorus is great, lyric might be an one-liner, but the lead role on chorus is Smith's guitar, not the vocals.

A great opener to a great album.

Rankings:

Previous Albums:

Iron Maiden - 6.67

8 - Prowler
6 - Sanctuary
7 - Remember Tomorrow
6 - Running Free
9 - Phantom Of The Opera
7 - Transylvania
4 - Strange World
6 - Charlotte The Harlot
7 - Iron Maiden

Killers - 5.91

6 - The Ides Of March
6 - Wrathchild
6 - Murders In The Rue Morgue
5 - Another Life
5 - Genghis Khan
5 - Innocent Exile
8 - Killers
5 - Prodigal Son
8 - Purgatory
6 - Twilight Zone
5 - Drifter

The Number Of The Beast - 7.56

6 - Invaders
7 - Children Of The Damned
8 - The Prisoner
7 - 22 Acacia Avenue
9 - The Number Of The Beast
10 - Run To The Hills
6 - Gangland
5 - Total Eclipse
10 - Hallowed Be Thy Name

Piece Of Mind - 7.44

8 - Where Eagles Dare
9 - Revelations
9 - Flight Of Icarus
7 - Die With Your Boots On
8 - The Trooper
7 - Still Life
6 - Quest For Fire
6 - Sun And Steel
7 - To Tame A Land

Powerslave - 6.75

8 - Aces High
7 - 2 Minutes To Midnight
3 - Loss Fer Words
7 - Flash Of The Blade
5 - The Duellists
6 - Back In The Village
9 - Powerslave
9 - Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

Somewhere In Time

8 - Caught Somewhere In Time

9/10

From the first notes of Caught Somewhere in Time it’s clear that the times have changed. Guitar synths abound on the intro, a completely new sound for the band. The Maiden gallop is still in full force and Harris leads his men through a rousing opening track. It’s great song, but not as immediate or powerful as Aces High or Where Eagles Dare. The chorus gets repetitive and Bruce sounds a bit strained on the high notes (he had trouble performing this song on the following tour as well). Murray and Smith are a formidable force as always during the bridge and Nicko's single kick pedal during the chorus is unbelievable.

Found this album on vinyl (Capital 1st pressing) yesterday, so it'll be my next one to rate!

CSIT is really the perfect opener for this album. It has the twin guitars, the signature Maiden gallop, relentless riffing, yet it still sounds completely unlike the previous 5 albums. This is the best way to ease listeners into the new sound. I love the lush production with the reverbs and synths on this song. The atmosphere it provides the song takes elevates it above how I think it would've come off with the sound of older Maiden albums. Aside from the twin guitar harmonies, one thing the Maiden guitarists have really got going for them is the ability to trade off solos in a way that complements each other and move the song forward. CSIT is one of the best examples I can think of, it's a very seamless transition with Adrian's solo building on the intensity established by Dave and bringing it to a perfect climax.

The only reason this song doesn't get a 10 from me is that I don't care for the chorus enough to enjoy how much it is repeated. Bruce's strained vocals don't help either. Sometimes I think the vocals were produced in a way that purposely hides Bruce's weaknesses during this period.

9/10

Like many songs on the album, this is a great song without quite making it into the absolute classics. I like the gallop, the solo is brilliant and I actually like the chorus that others have misgivings about. Also love the "eternally" bit.

I don't like the bridge though, the vocal seems strained. There's just one or two elements which stop this being truly great.

It's a very good song but not in the league as the three Adrian Smith songs and "Heaven Can Wait" (don't understand why people dislike that song), I agree the chorus on this song isn't the best but the verses and the solos were great, overall I give "CSIT" an 8/10

Back