Caught Somewhere In Time

How good is Caught Somewhere in Time on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Only problem for me is that I couldn't go for the "30 billion" option that this song deserves.  ;)

I like it, but I don't love it. The music is good, but the vocals seems off. Bruce could never really sing this song, and though it sounds good on the record, it's still weird. Also, the solos are kinda average.

The term "underrated" has been thrown around a lot of the internet, and the definition varies from person to person depending on the general perception of the material under scrutiny. Some believe that underrated means that the material is not given enough praise. To use an Iron Maiden example, most fans cite Judas Be My Guide as underrated for this reason. The keyword here is "most". When a vast collection of people believe a material is underrated, it loses its effect and gains stabilized popularity as a result. Other people believe underrated means materials that are disparaged by the general populace. Using another Maiden example, we'll say The Angel And The Gambler. This is also a method I don't see much worth in simply because there is another term for those materials - "overhated".

My perception of the word "underrated" is an art form that is simply not talked about very often, and many Iron Maiden songs fit this mantra. Two in particular stand out, both residing in my Iron Maiden Top Ten at #8 and #3 respectively. Revelations sits at #8, but that's a discussion for another time.

And at #3, we have Caught Somewhere In Time.

This is a song that is often discarded as "good, maybe even very good, but not the best on the album." No. This song is absolutely phenomenal and stands heads and shoulders above everything else on this album; which in itself is an astronomical feat considering how strong a line-up Somewhere In Time has. So why is Caught Somewhere In Time the best song on this album? The way I see it, it's both a flawlessly crafted song and yet, such a risky and audacious move by the band, being the first synthesized song that most fans hear, considering the ever popular Wasted Years possesses no synths. Maiden could have sabotaged their integrity with Somewhere In Time, but instead, they knocked it right out of the park with their opening song, with each band member showcasing some of their best work to date in this song.

Indulging in the song's technicalities, the opening bass line, accompanied with the escalating guitar helps set the futuristic and ominous atmosphere that the song wants to create, as well as slowly drawing the listener into the new musical style Iron Maiden had adopted, before the song EXPLODES into an adrenaline pumping frenzy of music for the rest of the song, the guitar riffs in particular stealing the show in this regard. Let's not forget Bruce's astonishing vocals in this song, in particular the chorus and his bellow of ""Tiiiiiime...is always on my siiiiiide!" The guitar solos are both brilliant, adding even more to the atmosphere of the song and both creating a sense of urgency that this song promotes exquisitely.

For an experimentation effort, this song is beyond a masterpiece. Disregarding that, it's still an absolutely incredible song that helped solidify the seemingly hazardous Somewhere In Time as one of my favourites of all-time.

10/10

This album is probably my favorite from start to finish, all songs considered.... so far.

This song starts it off in grand fashion. I imagine the city that Ed is hunting in in the future. A blade runner-esque dystopia. I see him walk down a dark alley, having to look over his shoulder. The fact that this song perpetuates that atmsophere is reason enough for me to consider it a classic. It's more great guitar solos and great singing by bruce.

10/10

I like this song. It introduces the whole time-concept which seems to infiltrate the whole album. Great melodies and I like the feeling that the added synths gives.
Sadly Bruces performance isn't top-notch here. I here some of the straining I first heard on Live After Death here. He still gives it all but it in not as good as on The Number Of The beast and up to Powerslave.
The guitar solos on the other hand is great, especially Adrians solo!
A great start on the album, and while it isn't as good as Aces High were, it kickstarts the album and sets the mood!

8/10

10/10. Favorite song on the album, favorite song of the golden era, in my top 3 favorite Maiden songs and favorite opener of any Maiden album!! The intro is phenomenal!!!!!
Love the Guitar, love the vocals, love the synths, love it all! Plus it's possibly my favorite chorus of any Maiden song! This song was my #1 Maiden song for over a year, but Empire Of The Clouds has took that spot over the past month. It might see it's #1 spot again someday, but for now #2 is pretty high on a list of 155 songs.

10/10. Favorite song on the album, favorite song of the golden era, in my top 3 favorite Maiden songs and favorite opener of any Maiden album!! The intro is phenomenal!!!!!
Love the Guitar, love the vocals, love the synths, love it all! Plus it's possibly my favorite chorus of any Maiden song! This song was my #1 Maiden song for over a year, but Empire Of The Clouds has took that spot over the past month. It might see it's #1 spot again someday, but for now #2 is pretty high on a list of 155 songs.

Isn't it 156 songs? I think you're forgetting Virus.

Isn't it 156 songs? I think you're forgetting Virus.
I forgot the singles! But dang Virus is a pretty damn good song. I really don't understand why they didn't include it on The X Factor. Would have been a phenomenal 77 minute album lol. I still can't believe they pulled out a 71 minute album back in 1995 and fans didn't go crazy over it just because it has a different singer. -_-

I really don't understand why they didn't include it on The X Factor.

Because it wasn't written when The X Factor was released. Virus is an answer to all the critics who bashed the new lineup and refused to give Blaze, or the album for that matter, a fair chance. It was an original composition for Best of the Beast.

Virus is an answer to all the critics who bashed the new lineup and refused to give Blaze, or the album for that matter, a fair chance.
Specifically Kerrang, apparently Steve was not happy with them.

Dang I just did my research on Virus. Pretty interesting story behind the single that I never knew before.

Over 6 years on YouTube and (unless my memory fails me!) I don't think I ever saw it. @Zare You? (edit: ah yes, you talked about it here, not sure if the vid was posted)
Uploader says: The only professional recording of this song!!!

Last edited:
I've come to a conclusion as to why they didn't want to film the Somewhere In Time tour, it's very simple.

Bruce's jacket. That thing should have been burnt before Bruce had even had the chance to put it on.

Last edited:
@Forostar , yup it was the first bootleg of SiT tour that I acquired. Spectrum, PA. It's known to be the only pro shot boot of the entire tour, albeit the recording is not complete, about 30 mins of the show are missing if I recall correctly. Too bad that the master tapes were already damaged before the transfer :(

Back