Bruce Dickinson

After a while I changed my mind regarding upcoming album "alchemy" theme. I agree with @TheMercenary in a sense that new album will be set more in sci-fi realm. The Mandrake Project does not sound overly medieval, also we know about Necropolis from If Eternity Should Fail. Album narrative may be seen more from aliens perspective. There is a theory that pyramids (Roy Z mentioned those) were built because of aliens. Also promo picture indeed does look like some sort of ancient hangar/space ships landing place. So, some dark form of aliens will kill indigenous people to obtain eternal life (here's mandrake for you). Album may sound Chemical Weddingish, but lyrically it will lean more towards dark sci-fi. Such is my prediction.

Thanks to IESF we've known for almost a decade that at least part of the album will be dark sci-fi. Knowing Bruce he will probably weave in some occult themes in there as well, but I'd assume the base will remain sci-fi.

Great news, and all the reason to revisit and listen to all the prior solo material from him! I hope that this tour will come somewhere near me as well.

So on the Mandrake webpage you can join by giving your e-mail and country. If I remember correctly during the Belshazzar's feast there was kind of similar thing where you gave your e-mail/subscribed. But did it gave some extra content or something or was it just for Maiden hq to gather how many people were interested.
And so, is it this time the same, just e-mail and nothing happens?
Just because you don't feel it doesn't mean nothings happens. :nonono:

Last edited:
Any clue about the line up
not reliable sources, but some brazilian yt channels are saying that adrian smith could join bruce's tour. another rumour is that the drummer of smith/kotzen tour (angra's bruno valverde) could be the bruce's drummer. he already has connections with adrian and nicko, so it could be a good bet.

Finally some official news! Incredibly excited for the new album. These few months are going to feel like eternity, I want it now! This is basically on par with a new Maiden album for me. As for the title, I dig the mandrake reference, but the "project" part seems kind of lame. However, we don't know the story behind it yet, so it's totally unfair to judge at this point. The pseudo-Greek lettering is silly in and of itself, but it's extra amusing in the context of you know what. :lol: But hey - give me a cool album and all this stuff will become cool by association. ;)

I love the little 30-second snippet. Great atmosphere and I was legitimately surprised by the super heavy guitar chord. Sounds like it's tuned lower than drop D. Interesting if that's the choice for the whole album.

The little they show on the clip looks and sounds GOOD... REAAAAAAAAAAALLY GOOD!
Heavy, epic and mystical AF. Bring it on!

After a while I changed my mind regarding upcoming album "alchemy" theme. I agree with @TheMercenary in a sense that new album will be set more in sci-fi realm. The Mandrake Project does not sound overly medieval, also we know about Necropolis from If Eternity Should Fail. Album narrative may be seen more from aliens perspective. There is a theory that pyramids (Roy Z mentioned those) were built because of aliens. Also promo picture indeed does look like some sort of ancient hangar/space ships landing place. So, some dark form of aliens will kill indigenous people to obtain eternal life (here's mandrake for you). Album may sound Chemical Weddingish, but lyrically it will lean more towards dark sci-fi. Such is my prediction.
Pyramids, aliens . Bruce would top Quest for Fire with that.

Great summary. Exactly my thoughts.
1. The chemical wedding, Accident of birth - great heavy metal albums.
2. Tyranny of souls - good metal album, a bit cut and paste-ish I think.
3. Scream for me Brazil - good metal live album
4. Skunkworks - Alternative rock with excellent vocals.
5. Balls to picasso - A little all over the place, a few good songs.
6. Tattooed millionaire - Silly rock album, also with a couple of great songs.

EDIT - forgot the best of album! That one is of course a good start as well, the two exclusive tracks are amazing. The second disc version have a couple of gems to

I wonder how Bruce’s voice will be on the album. Do we all think that anything was recorded pre-cancer or whether it has all been done over the last couple of years? If we go with the former, we will hear a distinct difference in his voice. I only say this because IESF was partially recorded even before Book of Souls.

I guess the vocals are recorded in 2022 and 2023, but maybe there will be demos as some form of bonus tracks recorded earlier?

By the way, the Mandrake project. A project is never only one album right? Someone else who think we will have more than one album now? Since Bruce have been working on this for eleven years, have he more than one album worth of material recorded? Double album? Or one next year, and then one more in 2025/2026? I know Bruce will surely be more active with his own music the day Maiden have winded down

I wonder how Bruce’s voice will be on the album. Do we all think that anything was recorded pre-cancer or whether it has all been done over the last couple of years? If we go with the former, we will hear a distinct difference in his voice. I only say this because IESF was partially recorded even before Book of Souls.
I had the same thought as well. I'm assuming all vocals will be recent though.

I guess the vocals are recorded in 2022 and 2023, but maybe there will be demos as some form of bonus tracks recorded earlier?

By the way, the Mandrake project. A project is never only one album right? Someone else who think we will have more than one album now? Since Bruce have been working on this for eleven years, have he more than one album worth of material recorded? Double album? Or one next year, and then one more in 2025/2026? I know Bruce will surely be more active with his own music the day Maiden have winded down
Depends on why the album is called that. It might be simply about something, which in the story is called the Mandrake Project. So just part of the concept. I sincerely doubt that we'll get more than one album out of this.

Wasn't it in 2022? I hope for a bonus song or two (that's a tradition for Bruce), but not alternative takes. He could include IESF as such a song, but he won't. Speaking of songs, I really hope he will include the song ''Nightmares'' in the album.
Interesting idea, but I doubt it (although he probably wrote around 20 songs for the album). He can compensate by putting ~14 songs on the album. I think the word ''project'' in the title refers to the general theme of the album. Remember, according to Bruce this is a half of a concept album.

Can we start speculating complaining about Bruce's setlist or is it too early?
If I have to guess:

He will probably play half of the new album live (or even more).

From the other albums:

1990: maybe only the title track.
1994: ''Tears Of The Dragon''.
1996: not sure if he will play anything from it.
1997: title track, ''Road To Hell'', ''Darkside Of Aquarius'', ''Taking The Queen''/''The Magician'' and maybe ''Man Of Sorrows''/''Omega'' (he never played them live, but he sang a bit of them during his Spoken tour, so it's possible. MOS is a must).
1998: title track, ''The Tower'', ''Book Of Thel'', ''Jerusalem'' and maybe ''The Alchemist'' (why not, Roy likes the song a lot). The rest of the songs he played live in 1998 from the album are also possible.
2005: title track, ''Abduction'', ''Kill Devil Hill'', ''Navigate The Seas Of The Sun'' (one of Bruce's favorite songs from the album) and ''Power Of The Sun''. I personally want to hear River and Soul Intruders too.

If he rotates the setlist a bit, he can play more different songs (even BYD... TTS), but I don't expect Maiden songs because this will be a welcomed celebration of his solo career.

If I have to guess:

He will probably play half of the new album live (or even more).

From the other albums:

1990: maybe only the title track.
1994: ''Tears Of The Dragon''.
1996: not sure if he will play anything from it.
1997: title track, ''Road To Hell'', ''Darkside Of Aquarius'', ''Taking The Queen''/''The Magician'' and maybe ''Man Of Sorrows''/''Omega'' (he never played them live, but he sang a bit of them during his Spoken tour, so it's possible. MOS is a must).
1998: title track, ''The Tower'', ''Book Of Thel'', ''Jerusalem'' and maybe ''The Alchemist'' (why not, Roy likes the song a lot). The rest of the songs he played live in 1998 from the album are also possible.
2005: title track, ''Abduction'', ''Kill Devil Hill'', ''Navigate The Seas Of The Sun'' (one of Bruce's favorite songs from the album) and ''Power Of The Sun''. I personally want to hear River and Soul Intruders too.

If he rotates the setlist a bit, he can play more different songs (even BYD... TTS), but I don't expect Maiden songs because this will be a welcomed celebration of his solo career.
He never played Omega ? How strange ! This is such a brilliant song and one of his best vocal performances ever.

Back