Bruce Dickinson

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
Just found Edguy: Mandrake (not a joke, this really exists).

- The cover reminds me of Accident of Birth.
- Songs: Tears of a Mandrake, Jerusalem, All the Clowns, Fallen Angels, Painting on the Wall

Do we run short of names?

The jester that Edguy use on the Mandrake cover, are also used on Age of the joker and Monuments, it’s kind of their mascot. But there is no secret that Tobias Sammet (the singer) loves Bruce. They covered The trooper live, and have warmed up for Maiden for a gig in 2010 and some in 2000.

But yes, alot of same-y titles there :lol:

The jester that Edguy use on the Mandrake cover, are also used on Age of the joker and Monuments, it’s kind of their mascot. But there is no secret that Tobias Sammet (the singer) loves Bruce. They covered The trooper live, and have warmed up for Maiden for a gig in 2010 and some in 2000.

The album is actually from 2001, so "Painting on the Wall" isn't even a reference to "Writing on the Wall".
Also interesting: "Fates Warning" is not only an Iron Maiden song from the No Prayer for the Dying album, but also a band that sounded a lot like Iron Maiden in the 80s. They had a song called "The Apparition", which was later used by Iron Maiden on Fear of the Dark.

Hi everyone. I didn't see this mentioned anywhere here, but... are we sure the name of the new album will actually be "The Mandrake Project"? When the Senjutsu campaign started, all we had was "Belshazzar's feast", which was a clue for the first single, not an album name.
Funny I was just thinking the same thing and thought about posting it, but you beat me to it.
But yes, it seems The Mandrake Project is and will be the name of the album.
Although I am interested what Bruce means with the last sentence -
"As for what The Mandrake Project actually is… all will be revealed soon!”
Like we already know it is upcoming album or is it something more to it?

probably he is giving hints of which songs to be played. a message like: if you don't know back from the edge go listen to it. but i hope he has more songs from chemical and tyranny and accident. wonder if he will play the new album in complete... since 6 "other" songs are so few... and there are many many "hits" to be heard live...
I doubt it's about that (there are only 6 songs). He will definitely not play the whole album live. The setlist will be dominated by songs from the new album and the previous 3 albums imo. The artwork is curious.
Upcoming album has a very high chance to be a double album, imo.
Yeah, now that I think about it, there is a chance for that. Maiden's last 2 albums were the inspiration for this haha. The ''project'' in the title might refer to that, who knows. I feel like Bruce will want to use as many songs as he wrote for the album, not only 10 as usual.
CD 1:
14 songs, mostly metal including If Eternity Should Fail + a couple of atmospheric interludes.
Most likely. I expect only 1 interlude though (like for AOB and TOS albums), but if it's a double (half of a concept) album, maybe one more.
Although I am interested what Bruce means with the last sentence -
"As for what The Mandrake Project actually is… all will be revealed soon!”
Like we already know it is upcoming album or is it something more to it?
That's curious indeed, but I guess it's about when he will reveal all the details about the album.

My guess is "The Mandrake Project" is the name of some scheme that the protagonist (probably antagonist) of the lyrics on a song on the album, if not the whole album, engages in.

Just found Edguy: Mandrake (not a joke, this really exists).

- The cover reminds me of Accident of Birth.
- Songs: Tears of a Mandrake, Jerusalem, All the Clowns, Fallen Angels, Painting on the Wall

Do we run short of names?
Mandrake was released several years later and was clearly inspired by Bruce's The Chemical Wedding. As @Poto already pointed out, song The Devil and the Savant contains such reference: "Getting sight of a revelation forced: the chemical wedding day..."

Jester, Joker as a mascot is GREAT choice, imo. But i think Edguy never used its fullest potential. Heck, i think Bruce should have adopted it. Started with Accident of Birth but later dropped it.

The little 30 seconds snippet reminds me a lot the intro of a Pagan's Mind song. It's almost a copy/paste of the intro riff of the song of the norwegian progressive metal band.

Ah, now I've listened to something too, thank you! I am too stupid to find the first snippet.
It sounds to my ears a bit like taken from various influences and then put together, and songwriting-wise not very logically or convincingly executed.
But it may well be that I'm wrong, if you can listen to more.
I am looking forward to it.

Tobias Sammet also wrote this gem

Acoustics and different vibe of the melodies - variety is the key. It sounds kind of not typical for Bruce right. Like TWOTW is for Maiden.
It sounds to my ears a bit like taken from various influences and then put together, and songwriting-wise not very logically or convincingly executed.
It's always better to form an opinion when we can hear the whole song. ;)

Jester, Joker as a mascot is GREAT choice, imo. Heck, i think Bruce should have adopted it. Started with Accident of Birth but later dropped it.
Like Eddie - I don't think he wanted that. It's better for him to have different covers so he can explore the themes of his interest without the obligation to put a figure/mascot with little variety. Eddie is only one and he's perfect for Maiden! For example, TCW cover wouldn't have been the same (or TOS cover) and the vibe of it would have been lost. It's probably the perfect cover for the album.

It's always better to form an opinion when we can hear the whole song. ;)
Yes, I wrote that I probably will assess it differently when more of the song becomes known.

At the end of the video, the part of the studio that is on the left at the beginning and where Bruce and the lady are in front of it is shown again from another perspective, less blurred (or without a filter) and from closer, right?

"Project" suggests that maybe it will be a more experimental album. Or more in the SF style - the first association when I heard the name of the album was "Montauk Project" - themes that would probably not be alien to Bruce.

Last edited:
Back