Bruce Dickinson

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
Hey, you haven't been paying attention or haven't read all the interviews.
He said in his interview with "The Guardian": "
"I always work five years in advance - that way I am never surprised. Right now, for example, I'm 70." :D
So, the gap between Tyranny and Mandrake Project is even bigger

:D

Rolling-Stone-lHebdo-150-Bruce-Dickinson.jpg

Much of Bruce's creative output is channeled through Maiden, even without co-writing credits from other members. Similarly, Paul McCartney performs Wings and Beatles songs solo, the Gallagher brothers play Oasis material, and Blaze Bayley performs Maiden songs. Seeing Bruce perform Maiden songs solo provides a unique opportunity to experience tracks like Eternity Has Failed, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Revelations, or Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter up close. I'd be first in line to see Bruce perform Tyranny of Souls in full, but I understand that once the initial excitement of Bruce's solo return has passed, including a Maiden song or two on future tours wouldn't hurt for the casual fan!
I think, if I want to listen to Maiden songs live then I go to a Maiden concert or a tribute band concert.
If I go to a Bruce Dickinson concert, I want to hear Bruce Dickinson songs, he has more than enough great songs to not have to become a Maiden Tribute band.

However, in saying that. Bring your daughter, and If Eternity should fail, are more Bruce Dickinson songs than they are Maiden songs. They certainly weren't written to be Maiden songs.

I think, if I want to listen to Maiden songs live then I go to a Maiden concert or a tribute band concert.
If I go to a Bruce Dickinson concert, I want to hear Bruce Dickinson songs, he has more than enough great songs to not have to become a Maiden Tribute band.

However, in saying that. Bring your daughter, and If Eternity should fail, are more Bruce Dickinson songs than they are Maiden songs. They certainly weren't written to be Maiden songs.
Agreed. It was kind of cool to see him do some (at the time) neglected Maiden classics like Icarus on the AoB tour, but these days where he's well-ensconced back in the Maiden fold, there isn't really any reason to clog up his set list with Maiden songs. He has more than enough strong material from his solo career to make an entertaining set on its own, so no need to bring Maiden into it...unless it's a song Maiden has no intention of ever playing and has some strong Dickinson roots to it. Empire of the Clouds, for instance, or the ones you mentioned.

Bring your daughter, and If Eternity should fail, are more Bruce Dickinson songs than they are Maiden songs. They certainly weren't written to be Maiden songs.
To me they will always be more Maiden songs. I guess because they were released as such first. And Eternity has a big big Maiden vibe to begin with, more than any other song in TMP, as in whole songs. While Daughter fits perfectly the rock vibe of the early 90's albums.
I really want Bruce to play Eternity Has Failed live. It's different enough from the Maiden version to play. And it's one of Maiden's greatest modern-era songs, too. So it's not redundant. It's just a great song. He should play it.
Agreed. He still has so many great solos songs to play.

If I go to a Bruce Dickinson concert, I want to hear Bruce Dickinson songs,
Ah sorry mate, I though 2 Minutes to Midnight, Can I Play with Madness, Powerslave, Revelations, and Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter were songs written by Bruce.

I'm not sure if your personal definition of what Maiden is or isn't is relevant.

Similarly, Paul McCartney performs Wings and Beatles songs solo, the Gallagher brothers play Oasis material, and Blaze Bayley performs Maiden songs.

The big difference between these and Bruce is that Bruce is still in Maiden, whereas Blaze is not, and the Beatles, Wings and Oasis no longer exist.

The big difference between these and Bruce is that Bruce is still in Maiden, whereas Blaze is not, and the Beatles, Wings and Oasis no longer exist.
So, when you leave the band or the band retires, does that mean you lose the right to perform its songs? I'm struggling to follow your logic here.

So, when you leave the band or the band retires, does that mean you lose the right to perform its songs? I'm struggling to follow your logic here.

Bruce performs the songs in Maiden. Paul McCartney can't perform them in the Beatles as they are gone, Blaze can't perform them in Maiden because he's not in Maiden.

Quite the opposite. Blaze performs Maiden songs from his tenure that Maiden doesn't play anymore (with the exception of SOTC and The Clansman). Paul plays songs from the first two albums.

Paul McCartney plays songs from a band that doesn't exist anymore. Same situation with Oasis or some other bands.

If you are under contract to an enterprise like Iron Maiden, you are expected to show some sort of loyalty. The band's singer is not expected to go on tour and take away income from Maiden. Therefore you will not see Bruce go on tour and play certain songs.

If you are under contract to an enterprise like Iron Maiden, you are expected to show some sort of loyalty. The band's singer is not expected to go on tour and take away income from Maiden. Therefore you will not see Bruce go on tour and play certain songs.
Do you know this to be common practice within the music industry or is it speculation?

I can't imagine many people deciding not to buy a ticket to Maidens next tour because the saw Bruce play a Maiden song or two a year or 2 before. Rodney may see it differently, of course.

Bruce did up to 5 Maiden songs on his 6 date tour in 2002. A long time ago, of course but maybe worth noting.

I have no trouble believing that Bruce simply just doesn't want to sing Maiden songs these days in his project away from Maiden.

Back