Bruce Dickinson

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
Personally, I'm fine with Tattooed Millionaire being neglected. :D I really like those first three songs on it and there's some neat, good-spirited rock'n'roll overall, but to me, it's a bit of a "Sanctuary situation"; effective live tracks, but given the limited time and setlist space left, I'm totally fine with them playing something from the later albums instead. Which is exactly what I think about Sanctuary & Running Free as well: I'd enjoy them, but in a limited space of a ~15 song set I'd just rather hear something else instead. That's not to say I wouldn't enjoy a good Tattooed Millionaire pick, though. I just don't mind if the album does not have that much setlist reprsesentation.
I understand, although I had in mind a song for rotation like Faith this year.
I could also see them playing Taking the Queen at some point. Bruce has mentioned doing Sonata live, so uhm, while I'm not so keen about that, I think it would work fairly well if they played Taking the Queen with a direct transition to Sonata - a shortened version, perhaps (please). Could work near the end of the main set, going into a Frankenstein kind of a "jam session" and then they could play some crowd pleaser to follow it as a main set closer?
Sonata will be curious live, I think it will be effective even though there are no tempo changes and it's not a difficult song for Bruce (Queen has a difficult part, but it is expected), but because of its length, he shouldn't play the cover then, methinks. Especially if he also plays Shadow like he mentioned. I guess both would be near the end of the main set and the transition with Queen-Sonata will be perfect.

^Great band, but to each their own.

Bruce solo tours don't need a Maiden song or two, even one that's never been played live. You know, you want Maiden for that. As for his solo picks:

- something from TM (title track/58).
- more songs from Skunkworks.
- definitely more songs from TOS (title track, Intruders, Kill Devil Hill... maybe Sun or River? Tyranny, Kill Devil Hill and River/Sun would be amazing live).
- more new songs (2-3 at most).

I'm hoping but not sure about more different songs from AOB/TCW. Maybe Magician or Taking The Queen. Trumpets? Or Omega/Man Of Sorrows, please.
Much of Bruce's creative output is channeled through Maiden, even without co-writing credits from other members. Similarly, Paul McCartney performs Wings and Beatles songs solo, the Gallagher brothers play Oasis material, and Blaze Bayley performs Maiden songs. Seeing Bruce perform Maiden songs solo provides a unique opportunity to experience tracks like Eternity Has Failed, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Revelations, or Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter up close. I'd be first in line to see Bruce perform Tyranny of Souls in full, but I understand that once the initial excitement of Bruce's solo return has passed, including a Maiden song or two on future tours wouldn't hurt for the casual fan!

Last edited:
It would be cool if Bruce played a couple of Maiden rarities that he wrote, like Flash of the Blade. No chance Maiden will ever play it. So why not?
As long as Bruce is still in Maiden and Maiden is touring, I don’t think there’s any reason for him to play Maiden songs at his solo gigs — except for cases like this, where he’s the sole songwriter and Maiden has either never played the track live or is very unlikely to ever play it again. (If Adrian were still in Bruce’s solo band then I’d say the same of any Adrian-only or Bruce-and-Adrian-only Maiden songs, too.)

Once Maiden stops touring, then I think it’s reasonable for Bruce to mix a few more Maiden songs into his solo shows.

I'd adore Powerslave, 2MTM would be great. Any of the middle four would be a nice novelty, though the time for them to sound good is long gone considering how high many of the vocal parts are. Rime would be a waste of an epic for me and I'd rather have almost anything else. No more Aces High.

I'm not sold on including Maiden epics in a Bruce show just for the chance to hear them played live. I'd rather they're played by the full band or not at all. Bruce shows are best for showcasing Bruce solo work, no matter the quality of musicians he has playing with him.

Also, this idea that Maiden are spoiling your fun and are refusing to play the tracks you want, but Bruce will play them is nonsense too. Bruce has been picking the Maiden sets since he got cancer.

The only unplayed Maiden epic that has the remotest chance of being played by Bruce is some sort of orchestral rendition of Empire of the Clouds.
It is obvious Bruce won't cover a Maiden song he didn't write (he did contribute to "The Prisoner" though contractual reasons prevented him from having a credit on it). Yet, remember he played "Powerslave" and "Revelations" (which can be considered as a short epic) on his 2002 tour.

Last edited:
I was searching for more info about BTP title (as we know Bruce wanted to call it Laughing In The Hiding Bush) - and I found this interview from 1995 (near the end) in which he said at one point the album was going to be called A Thousand Points Of Light, so this song is not a filler it seems. Maybe not a serious thought, but nice trivia.

Back