Bruce Dickinson

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
A quote a friend who reads the fan club magazine showed me (Interview with Bruce, last FC magazine):

BD: "And we've got a real band! I'm already playing the band demos of stuff I'd like to record for the next album. Without ProTools, without assembling Frankenstein's monster- it's real music, made in areal space."

Good news though: The next Bruce solo album is already taking on a more concreate form and we can look forward to it!

Sounds like the same type of comments he made during the Skunkworks era. That band ended up being 3 employees he did fire when things did not go that well commercially.

Is the ProTools comment aimed at his solo albums Tyranny of Souls and The Mandrake Project?

• Sad
Reactions: Jer
Other than the weird goings on with the crowd noise, I don't have much of a problem with Nights of the Dead either.

The fake live audience (probably Steve with Tony Newton and some footie mates) is absolutely dreadful, but I think the performances are quite good. In fact, I much prefer the album to the disastrous A Real Live One/A Real Dead One combo.

The Western melody is quite cool and I do enjoy the half time groove that references the If Eternity Should Fail lyrics. Unfortunately everything else about that song is a disaster in my opinion. The chorus is uninspired and sounds like a demo. The vocals during the first verse are atrocious. The chromatic riff sounds genuinely bad.

I think that's the summary :P

The Western melody is quite cool and I do enjoy the half time groove that references the If Eternity Should Fail lyrics. Unfortunately everything else about that song is a disaster in my opinion. The chorus is uninspired and sounds like a demo. The vocals during the first verse are atrocious. The chromatic riff sounds genuinely bad.

I think that's the summary :P

I think you are too generous! :)

It's a music video, I thought it was a live video. Cool and lots of footage, definitely needs an official release.

Bruce: ''The tour was one of the very best. The band were just so pumped and on it every night that it was a joy. The audience reactions everywhere for songs old and new were pretty overwhelming & I already can’t wait to go back out again! The video is my thank you to everyone that came to see us at festivals, clubs, theatres and arenas. Who said a metal audience can’t appreciate a theremin, bongos and ‘Dick Dale-esque’ surfer guitars? Mine certainly do.''

Not confirmed, but strongly hinted at (can’t find a citation easily, unfortunately), and I believe some shows in Brazil were pro-shot.
I think Mistheria said somewhere that they will (and he hopes) release a live DVD asap.
Sounds like the same type of comments he made during the Skunkworks era. That band ended up being 3 employees he did fire when things did not go that well commercially.
This time the album and the band are commercially successful. And now the situations are much different.
Is the ProTools comment aimed at his solo albums Tyranny of Souls and The Mandrake Project?
I guess so.
but I think the performances are quite good. In fact, I much prefer the album to the disastrous A Real Live One/A Real Dead One combo.
Of the band, yes. Bruce's, nope, even compared to the 90's more or less.
Man, Resurrection Men is still one of the biggest Maiden-related disappointments for me. Some neat ideas completely squandered.
Unrealized potential, unfortunately. I like the ideas and the parts of the song. I wonder what Steve could do with it. I think the songs Bruce showed to him back in 2014 were:

Eternity
Nightmares
Resurrection Men
Mistress Of Mercy
Rain On The Graves
Fingers In The Wounds (probably)

Is it too early to hope we get a Bruce live video in november/december?
I could see it happening, if only to keep Bruce's solo career fresh in people's minds while Maiden wraps up TFP tour and they have their break before TMP tour fires up again. On the other hand, I'd lean toward the greater likelihood that the live album will drop after the tour is finished. I don't think anybody who might have gone to a 2025 TMP show wouldn't just because, "why go when I have the live album at home?" But still, releasing after the tour's finished is the more standard practice.

But still, releasing after the tour's finished is the more standard practice.
Agreed, although he can release it whenever he wants. And especially if Maiden release the expected live video from the current tour in December (possible?), or early next year before the tour and before the release of the upcoming documentary. I really hope that Maiden have plans to record/release some shows from this year for the live release, otherwise it would be an even bigger shame than no live video from the previous tour. The schedule will be tight, so idk about Bruce's release. If he tours first again next year, then Maiden's releases will be first. If not, Maiden will release the video before the tour for sure.

Last edited:
I have to admit, I was hesitant when Bruce announced The Mandrake Project. I was disappointed when Roy Z revealed he wouldn't be touring with the band, especially since he's been behind some of my favorite music. However, the live band has exceeded my expectations. If this lineup stays intact, I'm confident they can produce some great material—after all, the best songs from the album weren’t even credited to Roy Z. For the next tour, it would be great to hear some tracks from Tattooed Millionaire and maybe a few more from Tyranny of Souls. Based on the crowd's reaction to their performance of 'Alexander the Great' in Greece, I'm sure throwing in an Iron Maiden song or two wouldn't hurt either.

after all, the best songs from the album weren’t even credited to Roy Z.
^Great band, but to each their own.
For the next tour, it would be great to hear some tracks from Tattooed Millionaire and maybe a few more from Tyranny of Souls. Based on the crowd's reaction to their performance of 'Alexander the Great' in Greece, I'm sure throwing in an Iron Maiden song or two wouldn't hurt either.
Bruce solo tours don't need a Maiden song or two, even one that's never been played live (although I'd love a rare cut). You know, you want Maiden for that and he doesn't need to. Ofc he can add one his songs, but the situation is different than in the 90's and the setlist is not 20 songs. After 2/3 more solo tours maybe. As for his solo picks:

- something from TM (title track/58).
- more songs from Skunkworks.
- definitely more songs from TOS (title track, Intruders, Kill Devil Hill... maybe Sun or River? Tyranny, Kill Devil Hill and River/Sun would be amazing live).
- more new songs (2-3 at most).

I'm hoping but not sure about more different songs from AOB/TCW. Maybe Magician or Taking The Queen. Trumpets? Or Omega/Man Of Sorrows, please.

Last edited:
- something from TM.
--
- definitely more songs from TOS.
--
I'm hoping but not sure about more different songs from AOB/TCW.

Personally, I'm fine with Tattooed Millionaire being neglected. :D I really like those first three songs on it and there's some neat, good-spirited rock'n'roll overall, but to me, it's a bit of a "Sanctuary situation"; effective live tracks, but given the limited time and setlist space left, I'm totally fine with them playing something from the later albums instead. Which is exactly what I think about Sanctuary & Running Free as well: I'd enjoy them, but in a limited space of a ~15 song set I'd just rather hear something else instead.

That's not to say I wouldn't enjoy a good Tattooed Millionaire pick, though. I just don't mind if the album does not have that much setlist reprsesentation.

From Tyranny of Souls, I'm hoping for Kill Devil Hill! River of No Return would be amazing too and I'd imagine it would work wonderfully with Bruce's current voice and a sturdy live arrangement.

I could also see them playing Taking the Queen at some point. Bruce has mentioned doing Sonata live, so uhm, while I'm not so keen about that, I think it would work fairly well if they played Taking the Queen with a direct transition to Sonata - a shortened version, perhaps (please). Could work near the end of the main set, going into a Frankenstein kind of a "jam session" and then they could play some crowd pleaser to follow it as a main set closer?

Reactions: jcv
Back