Bruce Dickinson

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
Th
I never thought that much about it before but looking at it now while the album's playing in iTunes, boy, the Scream for Me Brazil cover art sure is fucking awful, huh. It's like it was made in MS Paint about five minutes before it was due.
The same for the live in studio A album

Quite the opposite. Blaze performs Maiden songs from his tenure that Maiden doesn't play anymore (with the exception of SOTC and The Clansman). Paul plays songs from the first two albums.

Paul McCartney plays songs from a band that doesn't exist anymore. Same situation with Oasis or some other bands.
If you are under contract to an enterprise like Iron Maiden, you are expected to show some sort of loyalty. The band's singer is not expected to go on tour and take away income from Maiden. Therefore you will not see Bruce go on tour and play certain songs.
That makes no sense whatsoever. Many of the biggest metal bands whose singers went solo continued to perform songs from the bands they were originally famous for, even on live albums. For example, Ozzy Osbourne's Live at Budokan includes Black Sabbath tracks. Ian Gillan's recent solo live albums are mostly made up of Deep Purple songs, and Rob Halford's Live in Anaheim (released in 2010) features 9-10 Judas Priest songs. These albums were released while they also were in their respective bands. Even Bruce used to perform Maiden songs solo while being the current Maiden singer, just look up any of the 2002 setlists.

Maiden are still an active band. And for the time this fact stands, there will be no Maiden songs in Bruce's set. I'm sure about that.

However, if ever Maiden retires, I think we might see Revelations, IESF or Powerslave pop up in a Bruce show. Maybe, at that point, if H still wants to tour, he might join him and we might also see some Smith/Dickinson tracks like Icarus, Prisoner, 2 Minutes and The Writing On The Wall and maybe even Wasted Years or SIASL.

That said, there won't be any Maiden tracks in a Bruce show until Maiden retires. I'm 99% sure about that. Bruce seems to enjoy the size of his solo shows and I completely understand that. Playing smaller venues after doing just arenas/stadiums for 20 years is probably refreshing. I know bands that could easily play just 2000+ venues, but still do clubs here and there because they enjoy it.

Last edited:
Does anyone have access to this interview?

Worked for me. Here’s the text:

Dickinson was born in Worksop, Nottinghamshire. After his father’s second-hand car business took off, he was educated at the private Oundle School, in Northamptonshire, from which he was expelled after urinating in the headmaster’s dinner. He joined Iron Maiden in 1981 and hit the UK Top Ten in 1982 with the single Run to the Hills. The band have sold more than 100 million albums and continue their 23rd world tour in autumn. He has two grown-up sons and a daughter and lives in Paris with his third wife, Leana Dolci, a French fitness instructor.

Because I travel such a lot, when I wake up depends on what time zone I woke up in the previous day. If my bio-clock has adjusted, I’m a 9.30-in-the-morning person. And wherever I am in the world, I eat the same breakfast: my signature porridge.

It’s jumbo oats — sometimes organic, though I suspect they’re exactly the bloody same — a bit of oat bran, almond powder, pinch of salt, some matcha powder and chia seeds. Then it’s all slowly boiled in the pot with skimmed milk. The whole thing takes about 20-25 minutes. By now I’ve got the coffee-maker going because without at least four cups my heart doesn’t even start beating.

My wife has a little one-bed apartment in Paris and it’s our rabbit hole. I’ve still got a house in London, so I come back all the time. And because of post-Brexit rules, which I have to obey like everyone else, I can’t live in Paris for more than 90 in 180 days. It’s well known I voted for Brexit. Not because I don’t like foreigners but because I thought the EU model was eventually going to implode, and human beings generally don’t want to belong to a federal blob. There are numerous ways we could improve our position now, though, by being nicer to the people we live next door to. And I do think Brexit was done badly — if we’d had an amicable divorce, a lot of heartache could have been avoided.

I’ve got a new solo album out and rehearsals for the tour start later this month, but right now my daily routine is … I don’t really have one. Though I do enjoy fencing about four times a week. I used to train with the British Olympic squad in the Eighties but by the time I hit my forties I thought, come on, what are you doing fencing 18-year-olds? Now I’ve switched from foil fencing, which is very fast, to épée, which is more tactical. I’ve found an amazing club in France, full of incredible fencers who all kick my arse. It gives me something to aim for — I want to get to the stage where only 75 per cent of them kick my arse!

Rock’n’roll madness gets very old very quickly. Or it did with me anyway. It lasted about a year. Iron Maiden was never about a lifestyle — it’s always been all about the music. So I thought, if I’m going to stay with this singing thing, I’ve got to do something else just to keep my brain alive.

I don’t usually bother with lunch. But by 3pm I’m about ready to go for a little wander to the shops. I’ve realised that all the clichés about the French living their lives via food is true. There’s a cheese shop around the corner that has 500 cheeses. Five hundred cheeses! You can smell it half a mile away!

We go out for an evening meal once or twice a week. Usually a beer and a big pot of mussels and chips with friends. Or there’s a Vietnamese hybrid restaurant owned by a mate of ours that always ends up with a lock-in — and that can get dangerous. I’m not a very good cook but I can knock up avocado toast, steaks and stuff.

We go to bed around 1am. The room has to be completely blacked out and quiet. Hotel rooms are a nightmare — when I tour, I take tinfoil and gaffer tape to fix it to the windows. But at home, I get into bed and within seconds I’m gone.

Bruce Dickinson’s seventh solo album, The Mandrake Project, is out now on BMG

Dickinson was born in Worksop, Nottinghamshire. After his father’s second-hand car business took off, he was educated at the private Oundle School, in Northamptonshire, from which he was expelled after urinating in the headmaster’s dinner. He joined Iron Maiden in 1981 and hit the UK Top Ten in 1982 with the single Run to the Hills. The band have sold more than 100 million albums and continue their 23rd world tour in autumn. He has two grown-up sons and a daughter and lives in Paris with his third wife, Leana Dolci, a French fitness instructor.

Because I travel such a lot, when I wake up depends on what time zone I woke up in the previous day. If my bio-clock has adjusted, I’m a 9.30-in-the-morning person. And wherever I am in the world, I eat the same breakfast: my signature porridge.

It’s jumbo oats — sometimes organic, though I suspect they’re exactly the bloody same — a bit of oat bran, almond powder, pinch of salt, some matcha powder and chia seeds. Then it’s all slowly boiled in the pot with skimmed milk. The whole thing takes about 20-25 minutes. By now I’ve got the coffee-maker going because without at least four cups my heart doesn’t even start beating.

My wife has a little one-bed apartment in Paris and it’s our rabbit hole. I’ve still got a house in London, so I come back all the time. And because of post-Brexit rules, which I have to obey like everyone else, I can’t live in Paris for more than 90 in 180 days. It’s well known I voted for Brexit. Not because I don’t like foreigners but because I thought the EU model was eventually going to implode, and human beings generally don’t want to belong to a federal blob. There are numerous ways we could improve our position now, though, by being nicer to the people we live next door to. And I do think Brexit was done badly — if we’d had an amicable divorce, a lot of heartache could have been avoided.

I’ve got a new solo album out and rehearsals for the tour start later this month, but right now my daily routine is … I don’t really have one. Though I do enjoy fencing about four times a week. I used to train with the British Olympic squad in the Eighties but by the time I hit my forties I thought, come on, what are you doing fencing 18-year-olds? Now I’ve switched from foil fencing, which is very fast, to épée, which is more tactical. I’ve found an amazing club in France, full of incredible fencers who all kick my arse. It gives me something to aim for — I want to get to the stage where only 75 per cent of them kick my arse!

Rock’n’roll madness gets very old very quickly. Or it did with me anyway. It lasted about a year. Iron Maiden was never about a lifestyle — it’s always been all about the music. So I thought, if I’m going to stay with this singing thing, I’ve got to do something else just to keep my brain alive.

I don’t usually bother with lunch. But by 3pm I’m about ready to go for a little wander to the shops. I’ve realised that all the clichés about the French living their lives via food is true. There’s a cheese shop around the corner that has 500 cheeses. Five hundred cheeses! You can smell it half a mile away!

We go out for an evening meal once or twice a week. Usually a beer and a big pot of mussels and chips with friends. Or there’s a Vietnamese hybrid restaurant owned by a mate of ours that always ends up with a lock-in — and that can get dangerous. I’m not a very good cook but I can knock up avocado toast, steaks and stuff.

We go to bed around 1am. The room has to be completely blacked out and quiet. Hotel rooms are a nightmare — when I tour, I take tinfoil and gaffer tape to fix it to the windows. But at home, I get into bed and within seconds I’m gone.

Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Jer

Thanks mate!

Reactions: Jer

... There are numerous ways we could improve our position now, though, by being nicer to the people we live next door to. And I do think Brexit was done badly — if we’d had an amicable divorce, a lot of heartache could have been avoided.

Oh my, he still doesn't get it, lmao. :lol:

When exactly was this interview given?

Thanks for sharing it!

Back