Bruce Dickinson

Can someone inform Bruce of the Eb tuning, which is much like E, but lower by a crucial half step? I think it would really help him in his quest to perform songs he first recorded some 30-ish years ago.
To be fair some of the songs in Bruce's solo catalogue are tuned even lower. Afterglow is in B minor for example and has the low B, 5 semitones below low E. Bruce's issue is that he writes vocal lines that have him straining. He refuses to stay in his comfortable register and just has to go for the highest notes.

I think some people have been rant Metallica Metallica at the end and Bruce replied with: oh Metallica are the next (In French) ? :lol:
Ok, I was only wondering what did he mention about Metallica.
Anyways, the band was on fire delivering the good no matter what the weather was.
The stream worked nice, but it was much cooler to see him in more intimate venue 2 weeks ago where he walked and sang within the distance of few meters.
Shorter set for the festival (as usual), but it still seems a weird thing to not to play TOTD at all, it's his probably most known song.
Anybody there in Hellfest, I wonder how the audience was?

Ok, I was only wondering what did he mention about Metallica.
Anyways, the band was on fire delivering the good no matter what the weather was.
Shorter set for the festival, but it still seems a weird thing to not to play TOTD at all, it's his probably most known song.
Bruce hasn't said (or suggested) anything negative or even ironic about Metallica, just a very literal "Metallica est le prochain". ;)
I really think Bruce "discovered" the show was only 60 minutes long during the show, the way he said it.

(PS I'm French)

Bruce hasn't said (or suggested) anything negative or even ironic about Metallica, just a very literal "Metallica est le prochain". ;)
I really think Bruce "discovered" the show was only 60 minutes long during the show.
Yep, I got the feeling he mentioned Metallica but didn't seem to give any negative vibe.
The show was great and everything went well especially thinking how the weather was..it must affected the bands feelings, but they did the usual great performance anyways as true professionals.

Hey, did Bruce mention any worthwhile in french? was it similar to speeches at other shows?

Yep, I got the feeling he mentioned Metallica but didn't see to give any negative vibe.
The show was great and everything went well especially thinking how the weather was..it must affected the bands feelings, but they did the usual great performance anyways as true professionals.

Hey, did Bruce mention any worthwhile in french? was it similar to speeches at other shows?
It was, as usual, play-on-words involving the title of the forthcoming song.

It was, as usual, play-on-words involving the title of the forthcoming song.
Thanks. Im no newcomer regarding Bruce or maidenfan at all, but did Bruce ever talk about his skills of speaking french?
I remember that he has talked wealth amount of french in the countries they have visited from the 80's onwards.
Anyways, it's really cool and as he lives in Paris it's very handy to speak their language well.
I only know french like few words and would like to be interested in learning someday, but what do you think how well does Bruce speak french?

Just checking, but did Arte Concert cut the show off early before Darkside kicked in? I had to run out, and saw it was only 55 mins or so in total.

EDIT: just saw my laptop was unplugged, so wouldn't be surprised if it shut down at that point before the show was over. I was recording the audio, but forgot to make sure it was plugged in, so whoops. :facepalm: Hopefully Arte puts it fully up on the channel, or someone else on here recorded it also.

Last edited:
Cool setlist for a festival appearance. Book of Thel into The Alchemist into Darkside of Aquarius is one hell of a run. We all know Bruce's performances are not perfect nowadays due to his age, but man, he still nails a lot of this stuff. I'll always turn a blind eye to some straining here and there because overall he's still amazing. It's just a matter of those high registers - things like Afterglow sound pretty much flawless.

I don't like when singers speaks in German at Wacken or French in Hellfest or whereever... In solo gigs it's ok, maybe more than ok, it must be very cool to see your favorite artist to talk in your language but at festivals there are people from everywhere, maybe most of them came from abroad...
Anyway Bruce's show was cool. But he should choose easier songs. Thel and Aquarius were a little pain to watch. :/ Fans can tolerate but general festival audience would think otherwise...

Thanks. Im no newcomer regarding Bruce or maidenfan at all, but did Bruce ever talk about his skills of speaking french?
I remember that he has talked wealth amount of french in the countries they have visited from the 80's onwards.
Anyways, it's really cool and as he lives in Paris it's very handy to speak their language well.
I only know french like few words and would like to be interested in learning someday, but what do you think how well does Bruce speak french?
If I can lay my hands on a replay, I will post a transcript and translation of what he said. :)
At one moment though, towards the end, he briefly spoke in another language (which I didn't recognize... possibly German) and said that it wasn't French.

As a French speaker, Bruce has made much progress since, let's say, "Wasting Love" on A Real Live One, but it seems that he has stalled lately (learning a foreign language gets more and more difficult once you're an adult).

Just checking, but did Arte Concert cut the show off early before Darkside kicked in? I had to run out, and saw it was only 55 mins or so in total.

EDIT: just saw my laptop was unplugged, so wouldn't be surprised if it shut down at that point before the show was over. I was recording the audio, but forgot to make sure it was plugged in, so whoops. :facepalm: Hopefully Arte puts it fully up on the channel, or someone else on here recorded it also.
Arte broadcast "Darkside of Aquarius" in full (they only cut when the band was taking a selfie with the crowd).
:)

Back