Bruce Dickinson

It might be multiple things. Bruce's book coming out and him feeling like he's being diminished in it, IESF still bothering him, this whole "I was meant to be a star producer" thing popping up again as a result, etc. It feels like he expected the Maiden reunion to play out one way (Bruce and Adrian rejoin, he gets the producer gig, everyone is happy I guess) and when it didn't work out, he grew bitter about it, and it's finally bubbling to the surface.

Bruce speaks quite highly of Roy Z in the book, so I do not know what he was expecting...

Someone who had the chance to listen to the demos told me that Roy had nothing to do with writing IESF (he might have had a hand on the arrangements, but that does not warrant you a songwriting credit), whilst he indeed had a hand writing the other tunes (and that is why Maiden could not use the second song Steve liked).
Sure, but he might have felt that "spending" IESF on TBoS diminishes what they were working on with Bruce.

I don't know anything about Roy's alleged songwriting credits, but as far as Bruce's return to Maiden, I'd say that Roy's/Eddie Casilas's role in that shouldn't be taken too seriously. It's possible that they expressed approval of it, but I don't think the reunion would have happened without Rod and Steve. There is no way Bruce and Adrian's return to Maiden could be attributed solely to Bruce's solo band members.

Sure, but he might have felt that "spending" IESF on TBoS diminishes what they were working on with Bruce.

That is quite likely actually. As far as I know, IESF was meant to open a concept album by Bruce. It is possible that the whole thing lost it's momentum, because the track was used by Maiden and was eventually scrapped. I also think that IESF was written by Bruce and possibly arranged by Roy (which doesn't give you a writing credit nowadays).

Another possibility is that Roy learned about the Beckett thing and there is a riff written by him used somewhere in the Maiden albums, so he now wants to be credited for that too.

Update about posts on Facebook:

1303-and-itsgone.jpg

As predicted, Roy went on a rant under the influence and now regrets the decision while being hungover.

I don't know anything about Roy's alleged songwriting credits, but as far as Bruce's return to Maiden, I'd say that Roy's/Eddie Casilas's role in that shouldn't be taken too seriously. It's possible that they expressed approval of it, but I don't think the reunion would have happened without Rod and Steve. There is no way Bruce and Adrian's return to Maiden could be attributed solely to Bruce's solo band members.
Absolutely not, but I do think it's possible Bruce wouldn't have even considered rejoining if somebody from his camp didn't push him to go to that meeting with Steve. There was a lot of bad blood there and I can't imagine he was very interested in exploring that again without something to move him in that direction.

If there is bitterness in Roy, I find it hard to believe that it goes all the way back to the reunion, given how close they appeared during the whole TOS cycle.

Well it matches the official story and IESF is pretty simple musically. Structurally it reminds me of other Bruce penned songs like Flash of the Blade.

If there is bitterness in Roy, I find it hard to believe that it goes all the way back to the reunion, given how close they appeared during the whole TOS cycle.

Nah it's just that Dickinson put a 10 year pause on a highly successful music project. Z is venting, and it seems more of it comes out as the time goes by. Probably fueled by the fact that Dickinson's music appetites are, seemingly, taken care of in Maiden.

At the book reading I attended 3 weeks ago, Bruce said that the solo album (6 songs written/demoed so far) would come out when he had the time and it WOULD include a version of IESF. Seems like Bruce and Roy's timeline for such a project are not in synch.

Yeah but Steve nicked few lyric lines, and instrumental section for the other. BYDTTS is just a Bruce song...

At the book reading I attended 3 weeks ago, Bruce said that the solo album (6 songs written/demoed so far) would come out when he had the time and it WOULD include a version of IESF. Seems like Bruce and Roy's timeline for such a project are not in synch.

As much as I would love to hear the original IESF, I guess it might never see the light of day even if Bruce finds the time to finish the album, which seems unlikely.

As much as I would love to hear the original IESF, I guess it might never see the light of day even if Bruce finds the time to finish the album, which seems unlikely.

I'm hopeful, I did ask him at the book signing before we were shoo'ed away and he said that he hoped to release more solo stuff :)

Back