Bruce Dickinson

If you want to get a feel for what Roy Z's sound is like without any influence from Bruce, listen to the instrumental soundtrack he recorded for the game Zombie Squash in 2013.
It's available for streaming on Spotify.
It... sounds like Bruce Dickinson solo work except without vocals. Hmm.

I think that Bruce wrote IESF.

BUT: Roy put in a different key and arranged it a bit, so it would fit into the Dickinson repertoire; so therefore Roy wants credit, but arguably he hasn't done enough to deserve one.

comment: I highly doubt that Bruce, who is not a very advanced guitar player, would write in drop D. But if you transpose and play IESF in e minor in standard, it can be simplified and played with a few open chords -> something that Bruce is quite capable of.

Drop D can actually be easier to play for beginners, but I kinda doubt Bruce would've bothered learning drop D just for the sake of IESF (I mean he's only played E standard all his life when writing on the guitar), so yeah I feel your theory makes sense. One thing though: let's say that's what happened. Why is the Maiden version in drop D and not standard then? The band thinking it sounded better that way?

Drop D can actually be easier to play for beginners, but I kinda doubt Bruce would've bothered learning drop D just for the sake of IESF (I mean he's only played E standard all his life when writing on the guitar), so yeah I feel your theory makes sense. One thing though: let's say that's what happened. Why is the Maiden version in drop D and not standard then? The band thinking it sounded better that way?
Probably. The drop D gives the track a certain darkness.

I'm sure Bruce said something at his book talk on the matter of writing IESF, implying it was his own work.

I don’t see how this is an argument. Never mind that it definitely sounds like something Bruce came up with himself (its simpler and not nearly as heavy or riff driven as most of what Roy Z writes), but the fact that another song was left off because Roy Z would’ve been given a writing credit shows that Bruce wasn’t going to just take credit for something he didn’t come up with (that’s Steve’s job).

Roy probably helped with the arrangement but that has never been enough for a writing credit in the Maiden camp.

Why is the Maiden version in drop D and not standard then? The band thinking it sounded better that way?

Yeah, they tried it in standard tuning and it didn't sound good, bruce said there was a lot of gnashing of teeth or words to that effect about having to play in drop d but they got it done. Presumably that was from Janick, as Adrian plays in drop d a lot, and I think Dave could be in standard tuning on the track.

comment: I highly doubt that Bruce, who is not a very advanced guitar player, would write in drop D. But if you transpose and play IESF in e minor in standard, it can be simplified and played with a few open chords -> something that Bruce is quite capable of.

I once read Bruce mention that he has a few guitars lying around at home in different tunings. I would not be surprised if he had one in drop D...

Yeah, they tried it in standard tuning and it didn't sound good, bruce said there was a lot of gnashing of teeth or words to that effect about having to play in drop d but they got it done. Presumably that was from Janick, as Adrian plays in drop d a lot, and I think Dave could be in standard tuning on the track.
I'm pretty sure they said everyone was in drop D, which was kind of a surprise when the song originally came out. I imagine that even includes Steve, since there was no "we all tuned down, well except for Steve" like there was for Mother of Mercy which was also apparently in drop D for all the guitarists.

Of course in practice Davey and Steve just played in E standard live and it works out fine that way too so obviously they didn't exactly rely on it that much. Considering that, I imagine the gnashing of teeth would've been the guys complaining about needing an extra guitar switch live, which is why we ended up with just Adrian and Janick playing in drop D live.

I once read Bruce mention that he has a few guitars lying around at home in different tunings. I would not be surprised if he had one in drop D...

It was Janick who said that. I'm 99% sure of that. That resulted in the intro of The Talsiman, which has 4 different tuned acoustics on it.

Back