Bruce Dickinson

Totally offtopic, but Tears of the Dragon has really grown on me lately. It used to be one of those songs that I just didn't get, despite really loving the Balls to Picasso album. Something about it has just clicked lately, the buildup into the chorus gives me goosebumps. It's also one of his great vocal performances. It's always nice when you get a different perspective on a song you've known for years.

Tears of the Dragon is the song that sold me on Bruce's solo material and still my favorite Bruce solo song to this day. The vocals are amazing, the solo section is absolutely brilliant, it's just an emotional beast of a song.

Tears of the Dragon is the song that sold me on Bruce's solo material and still my favorite Bruce solo song to this day. The vocals are amazing, the solo section is absolutely brilliant, it's just an emotional beast of a song.
Absolutely. I have a long history with that song, and it took me until 2016 (!) to even connect it with Dickinson, amusingly enough. I'd heard it a bunch of times, but all of those times had been before I was much of a Maiden fan. My dad liked it a lot, and especially called the solo one of the best rock solos of all time (and honestly? I agree), and with the sound and feel I just assumed it was a rock tune from the 70s. It feels like it'd fit right in.

But then it came on the radio one day and I went "what the fuck, Tears of the Dragon is a Bruce Dickinson song?" and that + IESF and EotC prompted me to go listen to his solo work and yeah, I can definitely say I'm a fan, especially of the latter two 90s solo albums. It's a damn good song.

I am friends with Roy Z in Facebook, and judging by his latest posts it seems like there is a rift between Bruce and him. He shared the interview Bruce did with Charlie Rose pointedly and seemed bitter about not being the producer for BNW. No chance of a follow up to TOS then?

Attachments

• RoyZ_1.PNG
    RoyZ_1.PNG
    131.5 KB · Views: 56
  • RoyZ_2.PNG
    RoyZ_2.PNG
    70.5 KB · Views: 60
He also posted a picture of a bootleg copy of Ressurection on vinyl and complained about Rob not giving him songwriting/producer credit. Not sure what his problem is.

I am friends with Roy Z in Facebook, and judging by his latest posts it seems like there is a rift between Bruce and him. He shared the interview Bruce did with Charlie Rose pointedly and seemed bitter about not being the producer for BNW. No chance of a follow up to TOS then?

It sounds to me like was drunk as fuck when he was posting this. A lot of typos and strange wording. But it's still up, so we will have to see in a few hours if that is the case.

But from all of that it seems to me that Roy wanted to become a world renowed producer at that time (he even jumped out of the CW European tour to produce) and wanted that Maiden job really badly.

Anyway that post will reach the Maiden camp, because one of the band members is friends with him on FB.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like translate google. Somebody who's friends with Roy should ask him about IESF.

I saw a few comments where he was asked about IESF. He just liked the question and kept quiet.

BTW, Roy was Adrian's guest at the LA Forum shows last year. He only posted photos with H, so it seems that ther could very well be some bad bloodbetween him and Bruce.

He also commented this under his rant:

Roy Z Ramirez Check some of the new songs!
No name fame!

Also before the rant post, he posted a photo of him in a bar. So this could very well be ramblings of a drunk man and the post will disappear soon.

Huh. That's unexpected and quite disappointing.

6c5d6f1b9fbc6c1e458dba54d8cc828cea56185270db86a8c3f0deddf7a715a8.jpg

I do find what he said in the slightly less drunk rant post intriguing, assuming there's any truth in it. It'd be a pretty interesting twist if it turned out Bruce even considering rejoining Maiden was down to Roy Z pushing him towards that, let alone if I'm getting this right and Roy Z's saying he was the one to push Bruce to take Adrian with him too. It would also explain Adrian's hesitance to the whole thing, especially him saying he considered leaving after the Ed Hunter tour.

I mean, this whole rant is solely down to bitterness and being drunk on Z's part but people sometimes let things slip they wouldn't otherwise while drunk. It could fit into the overall narrative.

When did he say he wanted to leave after EHT, I wasn't aware of that?
I have this opinion for a while now, reunion Maiden truly clicked in 2005 and the first album where new band shows off all its guns is AMOLAD.

I know that the fraud and pretender, Adrian Smith said that he thought the reunion would only last for one tour (Ed Hunter). I was not aware that he stated that he condidered leaving after the tour was done.
No such shenanigans from the One, True Dave Murray, blessed are those who sail in him.

I do find what he said in the slightly less drunk rant post intriguing, assuming there's any truth in it. It'd be a pretty interesting twist if it turned out Bruce even considering rejoining Maiden was down to Roy Z pushing him towards that, let alone if I'm getting this right and Roy Z's saying he was the one to push Bruce to take Adrian with him too.

He says in the book the solo band, particularly Eddie Casilias, pushed him to rejoin Maiden when he put it to them

I had some questionmarks about the passage in Bruce's book about how 'they asked him to re-join Maiden', because asked about a possible reunion after AOB he said 'Steve doesn't want to do it.'
Pretty sure they did ask him to rejoin, but I suspect he had approached them about it before.
Regarding who approached who, we are told in "Run to the Hills" that Rod approached Bruce without telling the rest what he was up to, then (or simultaneously) persuaded Steve to talk to Bruce. This would make sense seeing as Rod was managing Bruce as well as Maiden, so would have easy access to both of them.

I don't feel like pointing fingers in this situation, but I could imagine someone who breaks into such an incoherent, unprofessional rant also having bloated self-esteem... So I don't know, Roy might be giving himself a bit too much credit. But again, we weren't there...

To me the whole thing seems to be triggered by some kind of recent tension, since apparently they were working together on the next Bruce album, as we've all heard at some point. Maybe they trashed it. Or maybe he's still salty about IESF.

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like translate google. Somebody who's friends with Roy should ask him about IESF.

Someone who had the chance to listen to the demos told me that Roy had nothing to do with writing IESF (he might have had a hand on the arrangements, but that does not warrant you a songwriting credit), whilst he indeed had a hand writing the other tunes (and that is why Maiden could not use the second song Steve liked).

Let's hope Roy's drunken ramblings do not end up jeopardising a potential Bruce solo album.

I don't feel like pointing fingers in this situation, but I could imagine someone who breaks into such an incoherent, unprofessional rant also having bloated self-esteem... So I don't know, Roy might be giving himself a bit too much credit. But again, we weren't there...

To me the whole thing seems to be triggered by some kind of recent tension, since apparently they were working together on the next Bruce album, as we've all heard at some point. Maybe they trashed it. Or maybe he's still salty about IESF.
It might be multiple things. Bruce's book coming out and him feeling like he's being diminished in it, IESF still bothering him, this whole "I was meant to be a star producer" thing popping up again as a result, etc. It feels like he expected the Maiden reunion to play out one way (Bruce and Adrian rejoin, he gets the producer gig, everyone is happy I guess) and when it didn't work out, he grew bitter about it, and it's finally bubbling to the surface.

Back