Bruce Dickinson

Many of Bruces modern day rants make my skin crawl. The Children one is particularly shite. Hope to fuck its cut from the live album.
2/3rds way through the book. Lovin it. Great read.
In 2010 he had a rant about the BBC because his radio show was cancelled. Both the radio show and the rant were pretty boring.

I heard a great rant on a bootleg once. It was in the Czech Republic on one of the post reunion tours.

He spots punters in the beer tent during the gig and starts giving them stick for not watching the gig, and then gives the beer tent stick for only having budweiser despite the Czech Republic having some great lagers such as Pilsner Urquell

I heard a great rant on a bootleg once. It was in the Czech Republic on one of the post reunion tours.

He spots punters in the beer tent during the gig and starts giving them stick for not watching the gig, and then gives the beer tent stick for only having budweiser despite the Czech Republic having some great lagers such as Pilsner Urquell

Beer rant = my kind of rant

In 2010 he had a rant about the BBC because his radio show was cancelled. Both the radio show and the rant were pretty boring.

I beg to differ regarding his radio show(s). The Rock Show was really good most of the time, rather eccentric, and the Freak Zone (another show he did at the start of 6 Music) was really interesting (and even more eccentric, playing anything from Jim Pepper to David Bowie, Kraftwerk, or Van der Graaf Generator). :) I miss those Mondays working on my PhD listening to both shows on demand online. :(

Bruce does that every night on tour, too. He's used to it. And pretty damn good at making a quasi-scripted show connect.
Did you notice they ALL do the same ? Compare Steve's moves on the same song on different shows. It's funny to see that he acts the same way at the same moment. Sometimes it's because a particular passage doesn't allow him to move that much, or because another allows him more freedom, but, generally speaking, his moves and behavior are somehow "scripted".

Did you notice they ALL do the same ? Compare Steve's moves on the same song on different shows. It's funny to see that he acts the same way at the same moment. Sometimes it's because a particular passage doesn't allow him to move that much, or because another allows him more freedom, but, generally speaking, his moves and behavior are somehow "scripted".

It could be the fact that he has been doing it for 30 odd years now and its habit and muscle memory?

It could be the fact that he has been doing it for 30 odd years now and its habit and muscle memory?
I think the stage performances are worked inside an agreed sort of loose framework: they all have some degree of spontaneity but in general terms they all know what the others will be doing and where on the stage they will be at particular times. This could have to do with safety as well (to be prosaic for a minute). For example, if Janick starts out with no clue as to what sort of stunts Bruce is going to pull on him there could be a nasty accident.

And also of course they don't want to mess up each other's playing :)

Everything in an Iron Maiden show is scripted. Everything. They have a really good idea where any band member will be at any given point. They know when they'll do the Three Amigos in the middle attack, they know when Steve is putting his foot up and pointing his bass, they know it all. The lights are timed to the drum beats. That's fucking impossible if you have a band doing whatever. The really amazing thing is how they follow their on-stage script and they make it seem so natural.

Everything in an Iron Maiden show is scripted. Everything. They have a really good idea where any band member will be at any given point. They know when they'll do the Three Amigos in the middle attack, they know when Steve is putting his foot up and pointing his bass, they know it all. The lights are timed to the drum beats. That's fucking impossible if you have a band doing whatever. The really amazing thing is how they follow their on-stage script and they make it seem so natural.

I find it interesting how few people realize this. The same can be said of most metal bands, especially Sabaton. The moments are always awesome, but almost never impromptu or unique.

Last edited:
I'm sure the stage choreography is a big part of the rehearsal. Any band with a light/stage show is going to do that.

Listened to everything in the vinyl box except Tyranny Souls (probably won't get to that for another week or so).

Pretty happy with the sound, AoB and CW aren't as loud as the CDs and don't distort as much at high volume. Not perfect but probably the best way to hear those albums. I thought Tattooed Millionaire sounded a bit compressed at times and not nearly as good as the original CD, but I've also read some really glowing reviews of it so maybe it's just me. It's definitely not as bad as the remastered CD though. Balls and Skunkworks sound pretty much exactly like the CDs to me, both albums need a remix more than anything else but it'll never happen. In short, Accident of Birth is a must with Chemical Wedding as a close second. Others are non essential if you're just looking for sound quality (again this isn't counting ToS because I haven't listened yet, but I really doubt it's going to sound that much different). Accident of Birth also has a different tracklist which is interesting, although I don't know if I'd call it better. Putting Omega after Darkside of Aquarius causes the album to peak too early.

Packaging is in some ways better than the Maiden remasters and also in some ways worse. I'll get the negatives out of the way first. The biggest gripe for me is that the exact same blurb is printed on every album sleeve. It's basically a very surface level overview of Bruce's solo career that reads more like a PR speech than anything else. Could've done without that, or at least print it on a separate page. I have a Black Sabbath reissue that has the liners printed on a separate insert (a great writeup by Mick Wall btw). Or instead of printing the same thing on every album, they could've just reprinted the notes from the 2005 remasters, which are far more insightful and interesting. Sleeve quality is also not great, but not bad either.

Everything else is good though. The jackets aren't as glossy as the Maiden albums but I kinda prefer that, not a big fan of the glossy thing. The albums also fit in the box better, there's plenty of room between each LP. Everything fits in the Maiden box but it's a tight fit. I also like that they made everything a gatefold, including the single LPs. It all looks very uniform and is clearly part of the same collection. It also feels like they put careful attention into each LP. Overall much more consistent than the Maiden issues.

Back