18th Studio Album discussion

Maybe Steve "We are old as the hills" Harris indeed had that in mind when he put it as last song on the record - just in case.
But of course that does not necessarily mean it really will be the last song.

Steve had this thought, maybe only at the time of the interview, and it could work for them, but I doubt Maiden will want to just continue releasing albums without touring, because they've always preferred the latter. If they release a new album after the new tour (in 2026), they will tour it for sure. Why not just for 1 year? Fewer dates in Europe, SA/NA and maybe some others.

^The best would probably be to combine it with the possible Part 2 of the new tour (because its theme is odd for 50 years) and plus some classics because I can't see them being omitted. And it can be 2 years (2027-2028). Then 2029 one last career spanning Hits tour - with or without Nicko. That's the best we can hope for right.

If they want to write a new album, it should be recorded in the next 2 years at the latest, released either in late 2026 or early 2027. Plus they always write between History/Hits tours. But there is another thing. If Bruce's solo tour next year is the last leg of TMP, and as we know he's been writing with Roy (right?), then he should release his new solo album around the same time period. But I can't see both Maiden and him to release new music in the same year. 2026 for Maiden, 2027 for Bruce, or 2027 for Maiden, 2028 for Bruce. He said he can make plans around Maiden's now.
One more thing. Yes, they all have or can find a way to release, record and play new music and stuff, but the magic only happens with Maiden. Bruce is creative, but Steve and Adrian should prioritize Maiden over their solo projects for another album. I think they will. Steve's grand ideas can only work for IM! There should be another album, they were so enthusiastic back in 2021, and maybe Nicko has indeed changed their plans, but unless they don't retire after the new tour (again, Steve recently said they have no such plans and Rod mentioned the future; we have to believe/catch for those words), such a tour like the new one with the focus on their classic albums again (with early 90's) is logically to follow it with a new album or heavy Reunion tour, like they did after SBIT - again, if there is a thought of such Part 2 within the band, which they could easily mix with a new album like the current tour more or less.

Again, it all depends on Nicko and the band's decision. If he can convince them to continue without him. Bruce re-starting his solo career could be an indicator, but it doesn't have to be. He wanted to release his long-awaited and written material and have a chance to tour it now with Maiden's schedule. Steve said he wrote so many epics for SJ because this could be their last album, you never know, but ''Hell On Earth'' was the logical, perfect and most fitting closing song. It's not put there to be a hint. I also think that in the liner notes of his new solo album, Bruce wanted to breathe new enthusiasm into the band for more new music before they retire. They have everything planned until 2026. After that, no one still knows what will happen, despite them usually making plans in advance. It's sad to have such a discussion, especially when other old bands (I know the situation is different with them and they know they're old, well, not all of them) don't talk about retirement and continue to release new music, which was Maiden's thing before TBOS album. It's just that the drummer's job is the hardest, especially at this age. And the performances are solid enough, but they suffer. They will want to continue as long as possible, which is understandable. Although the new tour's theme, the upcoming documentary, the 2 years on the poster and Nicko's form unfortunately suggest otherwise.

Despite everything said and the circumstances, another album after the new tour is possible. Likely? Idk, but I think so.

My impression is that Steve approaches music as a composer, while Dave's mentality is more like that of a player. I can see him put together a cover band with some friends from Maui and play Hendrix at small clubs just for fun and NOBODY knowing about it. While I feel British Lion were (partially) intended by Steve as a way to "feel young" again, playing in pubs, clubs, small venues, etc. Like Smith/Kotzen. Less pretentious, less stressful, just for the fun of it. Put out a new album every now and then, knowing it will sell by default given the names involved, but not pretending to make a living out of it.
One thing in that Iron Maiden always distinguished is that there has never been much gossip around them. No hotel rooms destroyed, no drug abuse, no fast supercars crashed. They never "Americanized" themselves (like Ozzy or Led Zeppelin did, for example). Just five (now six) blokes playing music and living their lives.

Yeah, this is their general vibes altogether. Honestly, I've always felt they were a bit too high-brow for that. I know 'Arry likes his football and "up the Hammers" and whatnot, but he likes Wishbone Ash and Genesis and likes to write songs about books and films and history. He might be working class by birth, but he's a nerd - maybe it's the combination that makes Maiden so enticing. In a way, it's an upgrade on Lynnott, who was more on the "street poet" side, but again, surprisingly high-brow and tasteful for his environment. Although he was able to put out lyrics like "Oh, poor Romeo // Sittin' all on his own-eo", but that's yet a different story.

Which is why I don't get the obsession with the early days era that rears its head from time to time (and with the current tour) - ever since the debut (with Phantom, Transylvania etc.) they never really were a pub band, they never felt truly comfortable in that role for me. They obviously weren't satisfied with stuff that everyone else was able to do (although it's ironic that their title song played at every concert is precisely of that make) and I find the popularity of some of that early stuff baffling. They are, and always were, leagues away from the rest of their NWOBHM brethren - they always felt closer to... well, Genesis than Saxon and I'm not talking about the length of their songs.

---

Back to the next studio album - honestly, with Senjutsu feeling a bit like a revisit of their career (there were definitely parts that reminded me of other parts, but for once, I'm okay with that - in this context) and with Hell on Earth being the perfect swan song, being not just one of my favourite Maiden songs overall, but also one of the more poignant, I'm not even sure we need another studio album, or at least, I hope that their possibly last album won't be worse.
Also, another album of lengthy, dark and kinda sombre songs (which is what they excel at nowadays) might be already a bit too much for the general populace ... and I don't want a "back to basics" type of record, for reasons I wote above - it'd be similarly misguided like The Beatles going "back to basics" on Let It Be - from a band capable of The White Album and Abbey Road, nobody wants a cover of Besame Mucho, a generic 12-bar blues or some unmelodic, "rocking" rockabilly track that feels like going through the motions.

I suppose there's nothing else to do than to wait and see.

Back to the next studio album - honestly, with Senjutsu feeling a bit like a revisit of their career (there were definitely parts that reminded me of other parts, but for once, I'm okay with that - in this context) and with Hell on Earth being the perfect swan song, being not just one of my favourite Maiden songs overall, but also one of the more poignant, I'm not even sure we need another studio album, or at least, I hope that their possibly last album won't be worse.
Also, another album of lengthy, dark and kinda sombre songs (which is what they excel at nowadays) might be already a bit too much for the general populace ... and I don't want a "back to basics" type of record, for reasons I wote above... I suppose there's nothing else to do than to wait and see.
Agreed about SJ and ''Hell On Earth'', but we always need new music, especially from the talented Maiden. I really doubt the album will be any weaker and it's a challenge for the band to try to top this material. Especially Steve. Bruce has a creative spark, Adrian always has ideas, so does Janick and they are all great composers and songwriters. Maiden are a band that will always produce quality, great and interesting music!

The style, tempo and length of the songs is an interesting topic. I don't think Maiden will take a different approach now (especially Steve with the long songs) or they will go back to the roots. 10 or at most 11 songs, 70 minutes, a few longer songs, the shorter rocker to be 2 or 3, 4-5 minutes long... - but I agree they should probably ''change'' something for the next album after the previous two, not that it's necessary.
I'm more worried about Nicko's studio playing, fills and (equally) groove(!). If the material is faster than what is on SJ, then he will have a tough time to play it live. You can hear that on the current tour, even for the new songs more or less. The groove is important, while the fills are a must for him.
More mid-tempo material than SJ, I don't think they should made. Also, they can compensate the longer songs with not 2 short and faster rocker, but with at least 3 or 4. It's easy but they don't want to put more than 11 songs on their albums for some reason.

I also want their last album to be great and very strong, and I have no doubts about that, but with Nicko's form I dread to think about it.

Agreed about SJ and ''Hell On Earth'', but we always need new music, especially from the talented Maiden. I really doubt the album will be any weaker and it's a challenge for the band to try to top this material. Especially Steve. Bruce has a creative spark, Adrian always has ideas, so does Janick and they are all great composers and songwriters. Maiden are a band that will always produce quality, great and interesting music!

The style, tempo and length of the songs is an interesting topic. I don't think Maiden will take a different approach now (especially Steve with the long songs) or they will go back to the roots. 10 or at most 11 songs, 70 minutes, a few longer songs, the shorter rocker to be 2 or 3, 4-5 minutes long... - but I agree they should probably ''change'' something for the next album after the previous two, not that it's necessary.
I'm more worried about Nicko's studio playing, fills and (equally) groove(!). If the material is faster than what is on SJ, then he will have a tough time to play it live. You can hear that on the current tour, even for the new songs more or less. The groove is important, while the fills are a must for him.
More mid-tempo material than SJ, I don't think they should made. Also, they can compensate the longer songs with not 2 short and faster rocker, but with at least 3 or 4. It's easy but they don't want to put more than 11 songs on their albums for some reason.

I also want their last album to be great and very strong, and I have no doubts about that, but with Nicko's form I dread to think about it.

I mostly agree, but studio is studio and with rest and taking it easy, I think Nicko will be able to do a lot on the album - especially if he won't tour it (which he 100% won't) - the groove and personality you probably won't lose, we'll see how that works out.

However, if Nicko were to be replaced in studio as well, then I'd be worried a lot, because while he would be replaceable, I don't think 'Arry would replace him properly and as I already wrote yesterday, Nicko is the second most important member sound-wise, after 'Arry.

It always comes to the Ship of Theseus problem with bands (see my personal take on the Nightwish discussion as well); i. e. how many members can you replace for it to be the same band, but I can imagine Maiden without anyone bar those two (or at least great sound-alikes). Even Bruce - heck, they've been doing Blaze-era-type material for the past 18 years or so!
(I'm talking about myself, not the general public who would riot without Bruce - but you get what I mean, don't you)

I mostly agree, but studio is studio and with rest and taking it easy, I think Nicko will be able to do a lot on the album - especially if he won't tour it (which he 100% won't) - the groove and personality you probably won't lose, we'll see how that works out.

However, if Nicko were to be replaced in studio as well, then I'd be worried a lot, because while he would be replaceable, I don't think 'Arry would replace him properly and as I already wrote yesterday, Nicko is the second most important member sound-wise, after 'Arry.
I hope so, but I'm not that sure anymore, especially about the groove and he said he can't play fast fills anymore. Are ''Hell On Earth's fills considered fast, because he changed them live as well.

Let's say there's a tiny chance for live, but Nicko won't be replaced in the studio. This would be even tougher than for live performances. The sound and chemistry with Steve. I think all members are irreplaceable. As they say, they are a family.

Maiden will always be remembered as perhaps the best live band, that's why it's so hard to watch some videos from the current tour, but because of the bond between the band members, the stage of their career, they will continue with this legendary lineup, even if the quality of the performances is not at the level it used to be. Some may say otherwise, but I think such a decision will deserve respect.
It always comes to the Ship of Theseus problem with bands (see my personal take on the Nightwish discussion as well); i. e. how many members can you replace for it to be the same band, but I can imagine Maiden without anyone bar those two (or at least great sound-alikes). Even Bruce - heck, they've been doing Blaze-era-type material for the past 18 years or so!
(I'm talking about myself, not the general public who would riot without Bruce - but you get what I mean, don't you)
I believe Maiden won't replace anyone and I don't want to. How many members you can replace for the band to be the same? 1 I guess, usually, none now. The band will sound rejuvenated live, but even with a new drummer, I think they'll play at best until 2029. They have personal lives after all.

The material since 2010 maybe is Blaze-type/era-esque, but you just can't replace Bruce. As a voice, power, charisma, stage presence and high notes.

Last edited:

That's where we differ, I guess. I know I'm completely alone in that regard, but it's exactly that I'd want to see ramped up, not theatricality, but precisely charisma and some of the personal experience shining through, I wrote this a long time ago and re-quoted recently, but:
That's why - despite him being a much worse singer technically - I actually prefer Blaze. His "veiled", sometimes even broken vocals are nonetheless much more pleasing to me ear and he gives me these vibes of being a much humbler guy. Let me tell you a story to chill the bones? I'm much more willing to sit down and hear his tale, if you please. Bruce is more of a very talented jester who will bend over backwards to get your attention (and saying "fuck you, you wanker" if you're not interested, at least in concert :D ), Blaze is like the guy sitting in the back of the pub, smoking a pipe with a thousand yard stare.

Similar to Ozzy vs Dio, which is again something everyone hate me for, but I prefer the personal crisis/despair over the professional machismo, much as I might enjoy and like the latter from he technical/power/whatever point of view.

(BTW, since we're talking charisma - does Bruce still do the arrogant, insufferable rants live?)

But that's a digression, sorry, back to the topic at hand.

Similar to Ozzy vs Dio, which is again something everyone hate me for, but I prefer the personal crisis/despair over the professional machismo, much as I might enjoy and like the latter from he technical/power/whatever point of view.

(BTW, since we're talking charisma - does Bruce still do the arrogant, insufferable rants live?)

His rants are worse than they have ever been. Rambling nonsense most of the time.

His rants are worse than they have ever been. Rambling nonsense most of the time.

My cut-off point was the time he completely lost his shit over someone in the crowd texting or something. Mate, you have no fucking idea why the person is doing it, you are a fucking paid entertainer and you're fucking up the concert for everyone else as well (who are also paying your fucking wage - and want to hear music, not your egoistic rambling and prima donna behaviour). I don't get how Gene Simmons gets so much shit for his overinflated ego and Bruce keeps getting a pass.

Anyway, again, sorry for the digression.

Yeah, this is their general vibes altogether. Honestly, I've always felt they were a bit too high-brow for that. I know 'Arry likes his football and "up the Hammers" and whatnot, but he likes Wishbone Ash and Genesis and likes to write songs about books and films and history. He might be working class by birth, but he's a nerd - maybe it's the combination that makes Maiden so enticing. In a way, it's an upgrade on Lynnott, who was more on the "street poet" side, but again, surprisingly high-brow and tasteful for his environment. Although he was able to put out lyrics like "Oh, poor Romeo // Sittin' all on his own-eo", but that's yet a different story.

Which is why I don't get the obsession with the early days era that rears its head from time to time (and with the current tour) - ever since the debut (with Phantom, Transylvania etc.) they never really were a pub band, they never felt truly comfortable in that role for me. They obviously weren't satisfied with stuff that everyone else was able to do (although it's ironic that their title song played at every concert is precisely of that make) and I find the popularity of some of that early stuff baffling. They are, and always were, leagues away from the rest of their NWOBHM brethren - they always felt closer to... well, Genesis than Saxon and I'm not talking about the length of their songs.
Their "obsession with the early days" is a mere marketing move. Vintage never grows old.

I kind of get the sneaking suspicion that Run For Your Lives might very well be the final go-around. I think there will be a hybrid 2027 run that'll be one last go-through of stadiums in the big global markets. Why not tie an EP of new material rather than an LP into that?

Back