Coronavirus

Sorry, the others names are too complicated/long/just downright ridiculous:

The variant is known by several names. In government and media reports it may be referred to as UK COVID-19 variant, UK coronavirus variant or simply as the UK variant or British variant.[2]

In scientific use the variant had originally been named the first Variant Under Investigation in December 2020 (VUI – 202012/01) by Public Health England,[3][a] but was reclassified to a Variant of Concern (Variant of Concern 202012/01, abbreviated VOC-202012/01) by Meera Chand and her colleagues in a report published by Public Health England on 21 December 2020.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variant_of_Concern_202012/01#cite_note-6 In a report written on behalf of COVID-19 Genomics UK (COG-UK) Consortium, Andrew Rambaut and his co-authors referred to the variant as lineage B.1.1.7,[5] while Nextstrain dubbed the variant 20I/501Y.V1.[6]

Of course, and that is why xenophobia is sadly so popular. It simplifies things for the masses.

Last edited:
If only it was a brexit virus, it wouldn't be able to cross borders!
It would, but there would be a mound of paperwork to complete first.

Just sent a card to Sweden and had to put a customs declaration on it FFS.

It would, but there would be a mound of paperwork to complete first.

Just sent a card to Sweden and had to put a customs declaration on it FFS.

Things are getting ridiculous! I guess I’ll have to wait before I can sell again any secondhand music on ebay to people living in the EU.

Great stuff, Sixes!

My parents were offered the first jab yesterday - they've decided to accept after all - but they missed out on any of the available slots at their local surgery. :( Vaccines have just been diverted from this region to somewhere else in the country for some reason. Local people in priority groups are naturally not happy about this.

Great stuff, Sixes!

My parents were offered the first jab yesterday - they've decided to accept after all - but they missed out on any of the available slots at their local surgery. :( Vaccines have just been diverted from this region to somewhere else in the country for some reason. Local people in priority groups are naturally not happy about this.

They might have been diverted to a Tory constituency.

Just joking. I am sure there were valid reasons for this.

The North East and Yorkshire have had very high vaccination rates, 64% of over 80s in the region have had the first jab. Providers have worked around the clock and the uptake among older people invited for vaccination has been very swift. So they're focusing on areas that haven't got as far with the top priority groups yet to allow them to catch up before they move on to the next priority group. But of course it's going to the Home Counties. :)

Meanwhile the Oslo region enters the strictest lockdown since April. Only grocery stores/supermarkets, pharmacies and gas stations are allowed to stay open. Two covid-19 patients in the hospital closest to where I live are confirmed to have the UK variant of the virus.

Finally there's been some stronger criticism of the strategy to stretch out the gap between the two vaccine doses to up to 12 weeks. I'm pleased it's getting more coverage because this is an almighty mess up waiting to happen. The British Medical Association says there is some evidence that the AstraZeneca vaccine can be stretched out further (prob still not ideal), but the WHO recommends the Pfizer jabs should be given 4 weeks apart, only up to 6 at a real stretch. There's more evidence emerging, meanwhile, that the vaccine may be far, far less effective than hoped after a single dose.

I was annoyed by a comment from the Deputy Chief Medical Officer for England, Jonathan Van-Tam, that I read in another report, where he did the classic politician deflection tactic of throwing a criticism back at the BMA in response to this. He asked which group of vulnerable patients they would advise deprioritising for the first jab in favour of fully protecting others.

It's not only the efficacy of the vaccine after a 12 week gap that concerns me, it's how on earth the current vaccinating regime is going to manage to fit in the second dose within even 12 weeks, at the rate they're going. They're currently administering more than 400,000 first shots per day, closer to half a million on Friday, but the daily numbers getting the second dose are generally lower than 4000, often less than 3000 (only 1821 on Friday). The numbers of first doses daily is increasing, the number of second doses daily is decreasing. That's a lot of catching up to do in a relatively small time frame, unless they shelve giving first doses for a while once the top priority group is covered. Apparently Northern Ireland is giving the second dose in about three weeks, they've made that decision for themselves.

When this whole thing started, I didn't know anyone who'd been infected with Covid. In the last two months my cousin's in california lost an uncle to Covid, my stepsister lost a 38 year-old cousin, one of my sister-in-law's aunts tested positive, my GF's grandmother died and while they said it was due to her diabetes and renal failure they suspect it was Covid anyway. One of the aunts that showed up at the funeral tested positve forcing the whole family to get tested.... 3 other relatives tested postive, thankfully my GF and her immediate family tested negative. One of the few true friends I have here, his sister works at a hospital, tested positive and turns out the whole family got it. Thankfully it was mild and they got over it in a matter of weeks.

I heard a few people say that it's likely we've all been in contact or infected at this point, we just don't know because we've been asymptomatic or the effects were so mild we confused it with a simple cold. Either way.... it's hitting closer and closer to home.

In Poland, companies are starting to open despite bans. It is not surprising - one-off government assistance is lower than the monthly costs of running a business. Despite the restaurant closure, the owners also have to pay license fees for selling alcohol etc. I don't think that's responsible, but I get it.

Yesterday I was driving around the city and in 20 years I have never seen so many signs with offers for renting a service premises - a lot of companies have disappeared from the market. In addition, prices are starting to rise and the government is calling for savings to be transferred to banks (which in my opinion is a clear signal not to do so).

In response to the curfew? :eek:
I am afraid so, but I also think some people just love to riot and use this as an excuse. They fight for "freedom", but what do they want? That we all get Covid?
Especially in Eindhoven they used all kinds of weapons, it was pretty extreme.
In Enschede some people even tried to break windows of a hospital... damn it.

I am pretty ashamed that this is how we look like now @srfc

99% behaves better though, I wish the police good luck in the upcoming nights.

Back