Coronavirus

They weren't properly policing things back then. There were about 20 fines total in this area in March to June, and parties kicking off all over the place.

If you mean Cummings, it would have ended up being a legal battle about police misconduct and political/social class bias wrongfully influencing law enforcement, seeing as he wasn't caught at the time and the anti Cummings campaign was being championed about by a tabloid mob.

Remember Plebgate. At least that politician did the honorable thing and resigned from his role, but the police took a hammering too.

If you mean Cummings, it would have ended up being a legal battle about police misconduct and political/social class bias wrongfully influencing law enforcement, seeing as he wasn't caught at the time and the anti Cummings campaign was being championed about by a tabloid mob.

Remember Plebgate. At least that politician did the honorable thing and resigned from his role, but the police took a hammering too.

You are probably right.

If there is anything that shattered the feeling of unity and shared sacrifice that accompanied the first lockdown was the behaviour of Dominic Cummings and the disgraceful way he was defended by the government when he did not resign A lot of people could not give a fuck about following the rules after that.

On a side note, it seems that for lockdown number 3 the number of jobs that qualify as key workers has increased exponentially.

What were they thinking, that some (probably fictional) deity was going to make the virus stop working during the festive break?

Perhaps it is because I have never understood this obsession with large gatherings over Christmas, but I am really pissed off with the reckless decisions that have led to this third wave. :mad:

There was a few other factors other than the commercial decision to open shops, pubs and resaurants, Ireland has a huge diaspora and many cunts came home for Christmas. Even after the new strain was discovered in the UK and we banned flights from the UK loads of pricks flew to Belfast and got picked up there. Somehow that new South African strain is here too, again why some fuckers feel the need to go to South Africa for a holiday during a pandemic is beyond me, but that's what caused that.

Also we are supposed to be back in lockdown now but it doesn't feel like it. I went for a drive the other morning to keep my car battery ticking over in the cold weather, down to the beach. The beach in Dublin is on an island in the bay that you reach by a causeway a mile long. There was cars parked the whole length of that causeway, on the 10th of January! in Dublin!, usually it wouldn't have that many cars for most of May-September with our weather.

They're maybe scared of being seen to stand in the way of people's fun and being seen as attacking a major cultural tradition. When most aspects of people's lives have been put on hold all year, it would hardly be a surprise that it would happen at Christmas too. But it's as if there's a fear that the People will turn into a massive pitchfork-brandishing mob if you dare to do anything like stop football or spoil Christmas.

Success! I'll be vaccinated around 2026. We have 'tiers' - I'm in the last one (not in medical services, not over 80 years old, etc.). Meaning that before me there are between 3 500 000 - 21 000 000 people in the line.

assuming that we will vaccinate 150 000 people weekly I will get my vaccine somewhere between December 2021 and June 2026.

There's worrying little public concern about the decision to prioritise giving the first vaccine dose to as many people as possible in the UK over giving them the second shot within the recommended 3-4 weeks. The daily numbers of those getting the second dose are falling off dramatically and the government is making all kinds of promises about giving every adult the first jab (only?) within a few months.

I'm not aware of any specific scientific concerns being raised about efficacy if they leave it up to 12 weeks to give the second dose. But I'm also not aware of there being enough testing to support high levels of efficacy where the gap between doses is longer than the manufacturer-recommended interval. That concerns me more with the Oxford vaccine, where decent efficacy appears to be based on a 'priming' half dose followed by a full dose after an interval.

Stretching out the interval also introduces potential cockups such as people not bothering with the follow up because they think they're now safe, moving to another area or healthcare provider who only has stocks of a different vaccine, or running out of supplies, resulting in an interval of far more than 12 weeks, because of the drive to provide the first jab to as many people as possible in a short space of time.

A House of Lords peer has started legal proceedings about this decision, but there's not a lot of public awareness or concern.

Not surprised about the lack of awareness with such sycophantic press!

Call me a cynic, but I bet the Tories are after the big headline of “We have vaccinated 15 million people before 15th February”. I might br wrong though and they might just be trying to maximise the amount of vulnerable people getting at least one dose, given that the government’s dithering has managed to already kill a significant number of them.

I’d rather see the government following the dosage timing that has been tested but I am an engineer/scientist, so what do I know?

Last edited:
Oh I'm sure it's a political strategy, just not sure if it's genuinely trying to keep down the number of deaths in the short term, trying for a quick PR win, national oneupmanship, or plugging 'the end is in sight' for the reactionary crowd on social media who are still full of ire about having to abide by any kind of restriction and think the whole thing has been blown out of all proportion. What I hope they're NOT doing is gambling on sufficient immunity in the population after one dose, or a publicly acceptable daily death count, to avoid buying the rest of the vaccines, and then try to chase everyone back into packed schools and workplaces.

That Chris Witty hint that they might have to lock down again next winter suggests that they're hoping the summer will do a lot of the work for them, but they strongly feel Covid will be a problem again next winter.

Almost 4 million people have had the 1st dose. Less than 1/2 million have had the second. The daily number of people getting their second dose has fallen from 20k a day last weekend to 2475 yesterday.

The only person I would trust to tell the truth is Chris Witty. I always feel sorry for him when he has to withstand Boris Johnson’s bullshit (and that of his brown-nosers) in the press conferences.

Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty
You're listening to the words of Professor Chris Witty

I hear that every time I see his name.

It's the fourth day in a row that the seven day case average has come down in Ottawa. It's still higher than the Wave 2 peak in early October, though. I went to Costco yesterday and it was pretty sketchy, and I have to go out again tonight for stuff I couldn't reasonably get at Costco, and I am not looking forward to it at all.

Back