02. Infinite Dreams - 9/10
03. Can I Play With Madness - 8/10
04. The Evil That Men Do - 10/10
05. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son - 9.5/10
06. The Prophecy - 7/10
07. The Clairvoyant - 10/10
08. Only The Good Die Young - 9/10

9/10

Trying my best to be harsh here as this is comfortably my favorite album ever. I just feel a Top 5 song like The Clairvoyant and TETMD needs distinction against a Top 30, like Only the Good Die Young.

SSOASS - a true metal masterpiece !

Moonchild - 8/10
Infinite Dreams - 9/10
Can I Play With Madness - 8/10
The Evil That Men Do - 10/10
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son - 9/10
The Prophecy - 7/10
The Clairvoyant - 10/10
Only The Good Die Young - 9/10
------------------------------------------------
Average album score: 8,75

Moonchild - 8
Infinite Dreams - 9
Can I Play With Madness - 6
The Evil That Men Do - 6
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son - 10
The Prophecy - 7
The Clairvoyant - 7
Only The Good Die Young - 7

Moonchild - 9 >
Infinite Dreams - 9 >
Can I Play With Madness - 9 >
The Evil That Men Do - 10 >
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son - 10 >
The Prophecy - 6 >
The Clairvoyant - 7 >
Only the Good Die Young - 10 >

Average Score: 8.75/10
Actual Score: 9.3/10

An album that fell a bit for me earlier this year but is moving back up again. Despite the weak story not being fully told as good as it could have been, as an album it's very strong, and showed how good the band could be even with the dreaded synths at work.

Last edited:
Moonchild – A calm acoustic intro kicks off the album before rocketing into a fast paced rocker filled with lyrics from the perspective of Lucifer, for me the chorus is the sole letdown but an amazing song - 8/10

Infinite Dreams – A very interesting song, I enjoy Bruce’s vocal delivery during the 4th and 5th verses. The instrumentation as per usual Maiden standards are wonderful. The sped up section into the solo is wonderful. The production is in the vein of SIT which I quite enjoy - 8/10

Can I Play With Madness – A Capella opening leads into a fun filler esc track which ultimate fits the theme of the album but doesn’t stand out amongst the rest. – 7/10

The Evil That Men Do – A slower intro leads into a ripping guitar attack with Bruce laying out some brilliant vocals. Great lyrics and musicianship easily the best song on Side 1 but not quite worth a 10 – 9.5/10

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son – A wicked symphonic opening breaks into a fast paced epic track before calming down with the final set of vocals and exploding into a killer instrumental for the second half – 10/10

The Prophecy – Another calm introduction before the tempo picks up. Instrumentally I think this song is strong however lyrically it isn’t anything special. 6/10

The Clairvoyant – Once again this slower intro (I’m starting to think I know where AMOLAD gets its slow intro idea from…) into a Mid-paced song with faster sections overall a solid song. - 7.5/10

Only the Good Die Young - Faster intro leads into a decent rocker, although the chorus leaves some to be desired. However the acoustic outro fits in perfectly summing up the album - 7/10

Overall Rating - 79%

Just went through this myself on the individual track threads.

Moonchild - 9/10 >
Infinite Dreams - 10/10 >
Can I Play With Madness - 10/10 >
The Evil That Men Do - 10/10 >
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son - 9/10 >
The Prophecy - 7/10 >
The Clairvoyant - 10/10 >
Only The Good Die Young - 9/10 >

Average: 9.3/10

An absolute monster of an album that brought together all the best elements of Maiden's classic period and packaged them with a compelling overarching story.

This is far and away the best album of Iron Maiden's career, and it's the standard by which all their other music should ultimately be judged, for better or for worse.

(Album rankings by person post >)

Spot on. I'ld elevate all your 9 out of 10 up to 10 out of 10 and the prophecy to 9/10*, and I'd remove the word "their" from your final sentence.

* And I'm only arbitrarily dropping a mark from The Prophecy to acknowledge it as my least favourite track.

Just went through this myself on the individual track threads.

Moonchild - 9/10 >
Infinite Dreams - 10/10 >
Can I Play With Madness - 10/10 >
The Evil That Men Do - 10/10 >
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son - 9/10 >
The Prophecy - 7/10 >
The Clairvoyant - 10/10 >
Only The Good Die Young - 9/10 >

Average: 9.3/10

An absolute monster of an album that brought together all the best elements of Maiden's classic period and packaged them with a compelling overarching story.

This is far and away the best album of Iron Maiden's career, and it's the standard by which all their other music should ultimately be judged, for better or for worse.

(Album rankings by person post >)

Colossal album. It is my favourite of theirs, together with The Number of the Beast.

Maybe it’s just me, but I like a little more consistency in my concept albums. I’m onboard right up through the title track, but then “The Prophecy” and “The Clairvoyant” fall a little short of the absolute monsters that are the first five songs. “Only The Good Die Young” is awesome but it comes in too soon. It was the shortest Maiden album since TNOTB and given its magnitude it would have done better with a little longer runtime to fully flesh out the story, as it goes cold right in the last three tracks. A pretty great album, but not perfect, and there are four other albums that are even better in Maiden’s discography.

Though still my favorite Maiden album, and possibly my favorite album ever, I do agree that it ends quite abruptly and could use a little more development. I think 2 more tracks would do it just fine.

Maybe it’s just me
Yeah, it pretty much is. :p

My only real issues with “The Prophecy” are the plodding verses and the non-chorus. The rest is excellent. And I think “The Clairvoyant” is one of Maiden’s very best tracks. Love the energy, the major/minor key shifts, and the downward modulation in the chorus. Killer.

On the story coherence part, yes, but I don’t recall him saying any of the rest...?
Well no, he didn't, but the "maybe it's just me" bit only referred to the coherency thing. The rest of the post was describing why I don't think it's coherent. At least, that's how it was intended.

Moonchild - 9.5/10
Infinite Dreams - 9.75/10
Can I Play With Madness - 9/10
The Evil That Men Do - 8.5/10
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son - 8.75/10
The Prophecy - 9.75/10
The Clairvoyant - 9/10
Only The Good Die Young - 8.5/10

Average: 9.09/10

Last edited:
1. Moonchild 10
2. Infinite Dreams 10
3. Can I Play with madness 10
4. The evil that men do 10
5. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son 10 (but it deserves 11)
6. The Prophecy 10
7. The Clairvoyant 10
8. Only the Good die young 10

THIS ALBUM IS A MASTERPIECE

Back