1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only the Good Die Young

Discussion in 'Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son' started by Anonymous, Apr 11, 2004.

?

How good is Only the Good Die Young on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

31.1%
  2. 9

24.4%
  3. 8

20.0%
  4. 7

17.8%
  5. 6

6.7%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

This always strikes me as counterpart to Can I Play With Madness. A nice end to the album/story, although perhaps a bit sudden. There were room or one of two more songs in there.

2. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

The album ends with a bang on one of the most underrated Maiden tunes ever. Just like Moonchild as an opener, this song works perfectly both as an album closer and just a great song on its own. Bruce's vocals are awesome and the lyrics are the right combination of vague and intriguing. The instrumental section reminds me of some of the more chaotic moments on the Killers album but with a bit more control. And how many Maiden songs have awesome bass solos like this one? Just an overall fantastic song.

Love the sudden ending and the prog snob in me gets a ton of excitement over the reprise of the Moonchild intro.

Agreed. The one flaw of this album is that it's too brief. Would've been cool to see them go all out with the concept and do a big double album.

3. Stardust

Stardust A Blue Sector Mirage

Oh, come now. The previous two albums had 8 songs each. And they just had to stick to that formula.

4. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

Ten songs would have been better for this album. The problem is, they launch the story well, but don't develop it fully. It just builds slightly and then they walk away from it. I think it doesn't help that the tracks in an order that makes great sense musically, but leave you wondering which part of the plot you're up to.

I had no idea that qualified as progsnobbery, but yes, I love the fact they bring that back to end.

Mosh likes this.
  5. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

The last songs had 8 songs but SSOASS was still significantly shorter. By about 10 minutes IIRC.

6. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

I find it a slightly disappointing finale. I don't expect the same format on every Maiden album. But this is an incredible album and it deserves an epic ending, especially as this is supposed to be a full on concept. Something with greater scope was needed to develop and finish the story I think. Bruce alluded to it IIRC.

However it's a solid song in its own right with a good hook and a great solo.