365 Albums In One Year

And what is the rating?
Not too sure. I think "Blood And Thunder" fucking rocks, and the rest of the songs are quite solid, but it just doesn't seem to fit the Moby Dick concept as much as they intended. It's probably somewhere in the 80% line.

Not too sure. I think "Blood And Thunder" fucking rocks, and the rest of the songs are quite solid, but it just doesn't seem to fit the Moby Dick concept as much as they intended. It's probably somewhere in the 80% line.
Probably what I would rate it do. Not my favorite Mastodon album. Not by a mile. Whales are metal though (see Gojira & Mastodon)

As an aside, that is one thing about Leviathan - it pales in comparison with The Call Of The Wretched Sea. One is a good, muddy metal album, the other is an absolute masterpiece that throws you upon the mercy of the open ocean.

As an aside, that is one thing about Leviathan - it pales in comparison with The Call Of The Wretched Sea. One is a good, muddy metal album, the other is an absolute masterpiece that throws you upon the mercy of the open ocean.
You can't really compare those two, two totally different genres and intentions with them.

@Diesel 11, how would you classify The Call of the Wretched Sea? What genre is it predominantly in? I've been meaning to give it a listen, but would like to know more about it first.

@Diesel 11, how would you classify The Call of the Wretched Sea? What genre is it predominantly in? I've been meaning to give it a listen, but would like to know more about it first.
Funeral doom. It’s really slow and really heavy, and may not be what you’re used to, but it’s well worth a listen anyway.

Album recommendation. Velvet Revolver - Contraband
Literally a mix of STP and GNR. Atrocious lyrics, it's good though.

You're falling behind

I listened to this last night and now I'm giving it another run-through.

POE - HAUNTED
poe-haunted.jpg

Album 64/365

Tracks:

1. "Exploration B" - We begin with a telephone call and Poe starts singing a song about the death of her father. It's a haunting way to begin an album.
  2. "Haunted" - I love the way the intro segues into this title track, which is so fucking good. It's got so many layers to it - sadness, regret, spookiness, and utter beauty. Ba da pa pa, I love this song. 11/10
  3. "Control" - From the beauty of the title track we segue right into this monster of a pop song. I great verse leads to an even better pre-chorus leads to a fucking fantastic chorus. These first three tracks are such a brilliant threesome opening to an album. Great song. 10/10
  4. "Terrible Thought" - While not quite as good as the previous two tracks, this is a lush song backed by a driving hip hop beat and featuring some great build-up throughout. 9/10
  5. "Walk The Walk" - A really groovy bop that's catchy as shit. Great stuff. 10/10
  6. "Terrified Heart" - A nice interlude before the epic that follows it.
  7. "Wild" - This song is long as fuck, but there's so much going on that it's incredible. Starts off like a normal song and then turns into a soundscape. Fantastic. 10/10
  8. "5&1⁄2 Minute Hallway" - Another beautiful piece of pop music. 10/10
  9. "Not A Virgin" - Another bop in which Poe describes how sexually active she is. Seriously though, it's hard to describe this one. 9/10
  10. "Hey Pretty" - This verse reminds me of Alanis's "You Oughta Know", though it does a good job nonetheless. Despite being the single, this isn't actually one of my favorites on here, but it's a pretty great song nonetheless. 9/10
  11. "Dear Johnny" - Fucking chilling interlude with a piece that I wish could've been expanded into an entire song, but maybe this is for the better.
  12. "Could've Gone Mad" - I love the chorus to this one. Great stuff. 10/10
  13. "Lemon Meringue" - The weakest song so far, but it's still pretty strong stuff. 8/10
  14. "Spanish Doll" - This is a pretty great acoustic-based track with a lot of wonderment on display. 9/10
  15. "House Of Leaves" - Another chilling little interlude.
  16. "Amazed" - What a great song. Just straight-up a great bit of poppy alt music. The ending piece sounds like The Beatles's "Within You Without You" and ABBA's "Like An Angel Passing Through My Room" put together. But it's not even the highlight here, because the chorus is so great. Good final "real" song. 10/10
  17. "If You Were Here" - Great outro track, bringing to a close this self-search for her father.
This album is so damn good. So many layers, so many emotions, so much greatness. Hard to believe that Poe never released another album since. Definitely deserves more recognition than it's received, because it's fantastic poppy alt with much more meaning than most artists of the genre put into it. @Number 6 I think you'd like this album.

Rating: 96%

Holy fuck, I looked over the last page or so and thought I'd try this Slam caper. Listened to a couple from Guttural Slug, Parasitic Ejaculation and Begging For Incest. The band/song names elicit a smirk but I can't think of any worse music that I have ever heard and I've been to psy-trance festivals.
Although that Riot album is class so I suppose it was worth it.

Amputated is the way to go, but I mean, it's probably the most disliked genre out there. Not surprised you didn't like it.

Seems like too much work. I would have to force myself to 'appreciate' it and I think I would be quite a bit more deranged at the end of the process. Water boarding was more fun than listening to that stuff.

Back