04. The Pilgrim - 7/10
05. The Longest Day - 8/10
06. Out of the Shadows - 5.5/10
07. Reincarnation of Benjamin B. - 10/10
08. For the Greater Good of God - 9.5/10
09. Lord of Light - 7/10
10. The Legacy - 8.5/10

7.9/10

My #5 Maiden album. More consistent than BNW, though maybe a little bloated. Lyrically one of their absolute best, and benefits from being both musically and thematically very coherent. Love the darker mood and very pertinent message throughout. Nicko's snare is also a thing of wonder. A few Chorus cuts away from being a masterpiece (BTATS and TLD).

Different World - 7
These Colors don't run - 8
Brighter than a thousand suns - 8
The Pilgrim - 10
The Longest day - 9
Out of the shadows - 7
Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg - 8
For the Greater Good of God - 10
Lord of Light - 8
The Legacy - 9

7.6 average

AMOLAD is one of the best Maiden albums - not a single bad song on it, not a surprise why Maiden played it in full live !

Different World - 10/10
These Colours Don't Run - 10/10
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns - 9/10
The Pilgrim - 8/10
The Longest Day - 9/10
Out Of The Shadows - 8/10
The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg - 9/10
For The Greater Good Of God - 10/10
Lord Of Light - 9/10
The Legacy - 8/10
-----------------------------------------------------------
Average album score: 9

Different World - 7
These Colours Don't Run - 7
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns - 10
The Pilgrim - 9
The Longest Day - 6
Out of the Shadows - 8
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg - 9
Lord of Light - 7
The Legacy - 9

Decided to have a bit of a rethink, those scores are pitifully low for my third favourite album...

Different World - 8

In the context of the album it's an 8, but still very strong.

These Colours Don't Run - 6

I just can't find a lot of merit in this song. It's not bad, but not really anything special either. My least favourite from the album.

Brighter Than A Thousand Suns - 10

Incredible. This was my first Maiden epic, my feelings for it will probably never change.

The Pilgrim - 8

Dropped a point. Same as DW but I think this is the more interesting song musically, it just doesn't quite reach greatness.

The Longest Day - 7

The intro/verses are top tier stuff, but there's a huge drop off in the rest of the song. I love the build up to Adrian's solo (which is a let down), but don't really like the cheery harmony after it. I get it, but it doesn't work for me.

Out of the Shadows - 9

Brilliant song. Simple, but incredibly effective.

The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg - 10

It's not in the same league as the other tens from this album, but I love it and couldn't find any reason why it shouldn't have been a ten to begin with.

Unchanged again. Phenomenal song.

Lord of Light - 8

Bumped this up a point. Again, the intro and verse are top tier stuff, but it does lose its way at the first chorus.

The Legacy - 9

Unchanged. Perhaps not the best choice to close the album, but very interesting and unique, points to Janick for trying something different with his songs.

A surprising latter-era classic, and clearly the best of the reunion-era albums, in my opinion. I would go further and say that A Matter Of Life And Death is the album that The X Factor always aspired but ultimately failed to be -- a moody, melancholy masterpiece that tackles big ideas in a very personal way. This is how you do it, gentlemen.

:ok::ok::ok:

Different World - 8.5/10
These Colours Don't Run - 8.5/10
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns - 9/10
The Pilgrim - 8/10
The Longest Day - 10/10
Out Of The Shadows - 8/10
The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg - 7.5/10
For The Greater Good Of God - 9/10
Lord Of Light - 9/10
The Legacy - 8.5/10

Reactions: Jer
AMOLAD is my favourite album of all time, and I've listened to it over 20 times, and it still doesn't get old.

Different World - 10/10
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns - 10/10
The Pilgrim - 10/10
The Longest Day - 10/10
Out Of The Shadows - 10/10
The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg - 10/10
Lord Of Light - 10/10
The Legacy - 10/10.

AMOLAD is my favourite album of all time, and I've listened to it over 20 times, and it still doesn't get old.

20 times, buddy? Twenty fuckin times, aye. And still you are slaggin' off the DiAnno era like no tomorrow. Try a 1000 times you limerick of Dimerick.
What a numbnut you are, a stuttering, cluttering and fluttering little silly willy.

Different World - 10/10
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns - 10/10
The Pilgrim - 10/10
The Longest Day - 10/10
Out Of The Shadows - 10/10
The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg - 10/10
Lord Of Light - 10/10
The Legacy - 10/10.

I thought I was a big fan of AMOLAD.

Different World - 10 >
These Colours Don't Run - 7 >
Brighter Than a Thousand Suns - 8 >
The Pilgrim - 9 >
The Longest Day - 4 >
Out of the Shadows - 3 >
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg - 9 >
For the Greater Good of God - 10 >
Lord of Light - 9 >
The Legacy - 10 >

Average Score: 7.9/10
Actual Score: 8.6/10

A Matter of Life and Death starts off well, has a couple duds, but finishes with a string of awesome songs. I can overlook the bad songs because the good ones are really, really good, and I'd say it's in the middle of the 21st century Maiden releases for me.

126/365
Iron_Maiden_-_A_Matter_Of_Life_And_Death.jpg

A Matter Of Life And Death - Iron Maiden
Format: Vinyl

Different World - The shortest track on the album kicks off the War themed album, killer riff and the track makes short work of any worries in terms of performance from the aging band. Chorus is a little weaker but I like the harmonizing done in it. - 9/10

These Colours Don't Run- Beginning slow with a calmer intro before the band comes in telling the tale of a man being sent off to war, Bruce doesn't sound as strong at times on this track but it is still one that is a really strong track, the harmonized guitar solo is wonderful.- 8.5/10

Brighter Than A Thousand Suns - Side 1 closes with the first epic of the album. Super heavy riffing throughout, the chorus when Bruce lets loose on the high note is amazing. Strong solos, this track is incredibly strong although at times I do skip it in favour of some later tracks when it pops up in my playlist - 10/10

The Pilgrim - Picking up the pace, Not quite as strong as the tracks which flank it. But still a strong one. - 8.5/10

The Longest Day - One of the best prechorus' ever written. Yes the chorus is a weaker one but it still is super anthemic and instrumentally amazing. - 10/10

Out Of The Shadows - Beginning with a drum based intro the final track on the first LP comes in and slows down considerably, I like the chorus a lot, Verses aren't mind blowing but a really strong track - 9/10

The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg - A calm intro leads into heavy track some nice soloing and throughout the track brutal riffs and Bruce delivers. Don't remember this track being so amazing. - 10/10

For The Greater Good Of God - PLEASE TELL ME NOW LIFE IS!!!!! Chorus alone earns the 10/10, but the entire track is a masterpiece- 10/10

Lord Of Light - Following up the perfect side 3 is side 4, the final side kicks off with a melodic but quicker paced guitar lick Bruce sings lightly, the song soon erupts and Bruce lets out some of his highest notes on the album, once more brutal guitar work ensues and Bruce keeps up the amazing vocal performance, the calmer parts are a little weaker than the heavier parts but this song is amazing and the solos more than make up for the lighter sections - 10/10

The Legacy - An acoustic intro leads into the final track on the album the intro I feel could be a little darker in Bruce's delivery. This track almost screams orchestral. The heavy riffs following the introduction followed by the increase in tempo of the acoustic guitar is brilliant. The band comes in full on at a mid tempo track, Bruces vocals don't quite do it for me entirely here. Janick's solo begins with the brutal riff again before. A track which I will have to revisit - 9/10

Overall 94%

Yeah, you should, because it’s the best song on there and a Top 10 Maiden song. As much as I love FTGGOG, “The Legacy” is one of the best examples I can give as to why Maiden is my favorite band. Meaningful lyrics backed with great music. Great song.
Honestly it was Bruce’s delivery at times which prevented the 9.5-10/10. Musically it is a great track.

It may take some getting used to, but I love it, from the quiet, picturesque opening, to the higher, passionate and theatrical verse and chorus, to the double-tracked ending with both highs and lows. It’s awesome.

Back