1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Legacy

Discussion in 'A Matter Of Life And Death' started by Anonymous, Aug 30, 2006.

?

How good is The Legacy on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

41.7%
  2. 9

27.8%
  3. 8

13.9%
  4. 7

5.6%
  5. 6

5.6%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

2.8%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

2.8%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

Gers epic #3. This is the point where he gets a little experimental, after nailing his formula with DOD. I love this track, it's a great ender. I probably don't love it as much as the other two huge epics on the album, so I will go 9/10, but it is really 9.5 out of 10.

2. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

Can't really get into this no matter how hard I try and I normally like a Jan epic! It's quite experimental, which is good, but it doesn't quite come off in any way that appeals to my taste. The acoustic backing goes on too long and the high-low synthy riff grates me a bit. I do think it's ambitious though which earns it some credit

3. Poto

Poto Ancient Mariner

Funny enough, the two weakest tracks on this album are Different World and The Legacy. You want your albums to have a great opening and ending. AMOLAD makes up for it with because it's so even. The Legacy is a really good song, don't get me wrong, but it's the weakest epic on the album. It does have a lot of great parts though. The intro is nice, but too long. The verses are decent. The faster part of the song is the highlight with Janick stealing the show. The guitar riff in Empire of the Clouds sounded fresher in 2006.

A worthy conclusion to the best album ever. 8/10.

4. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

10/10

The Legacy is a bizarre treat. Janick exercises his strangest songwriting notions here to astounding result. The song doesn't repeat parts and has no chorus, instead dividing itself into different major sections that evolve over time. Bruce sings a chilling lullaby of mustard gas (the lyrics are quite nebulous) over 12-string acoustic guitars, followed by a chord pattern that will return in various forms throughout the song to bridge each section. Pained guitar swells appear over the acoustics before the pattern repeats again, this time with distortion and keyboards. The whole song sounds like an alarm: a warning bell getting slowly closer and threatening to unleash hell. When the band kicks in its a massive release, Bruce's oddly effected vocals continue to build to a rousing multi-tracked refrain. The mood escalates throughout the song to a place of sheer excitement, and then breaks it all down again. Janick cuts through with an almost jig riff and unleashes one of his best solos. It's a complete masterpiece: experimental, odd, and completely Maiden. It all ends with an acoustic chord, strummed to completion, as if the listener is finally released from the darkness and war of the album, back into the real world to await the next Maiden album.

5. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Gott Mit Uns

One of the strongest tracks on the album. The solo and buildup are great, and there's even a couple spots that remind me of EOTC. 9/10.

6. This is one of my top 5 Maiden songs. I think it is best enjoyed when listening to the album as a whole. Rounds it off perfectly.

JudasMyGuide and LooseCannon like this.