Lord of Light

How good is Lord of Light on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
"Lord of Light" is a heavy, sinister track about Lucifer with a bit of a Paradise Lost take on the devil. With some great quiet bits and some great heavy bits, all culminating in a rousing solo, this song is a monster. Great stuff on display here. 9

6/10. Another song that just doesn't click with me, but it does some really interesting things musically. Viewing it as an analogue to Paradise Lost might bring the score eventually, but for now its a 6.

Great haunting intro, the riff after it (done by Adrian) is so great. Great drumming. The verses are amazing (some of Maiden's best), the riff is very good. Great triple-lead harmonies. The chorus slows the song (like in WTRRD), but it's not that bad. The calm part in the middle is interesting improvisation - after it the song goes crazy... the solo from Adrian is wild and unexpected, Dave's solo is not bad. The rhythm after both solos is great (I wish it was louder in the mix). Great end of the song. Overall, it's a great (underrated) song with a galloping tempo (like in The Trooper or TETMD). Only because of the slow chorus I will give it a 9/10.

According to Dickinson, the enigmatic lyrics of the song
deny the existence of the afterlife Divine Judgment of the soul,
arguing that there are many post-mortem states of the soul
between Paradise and Hell, in which Lucifer resides, o
Lord, that is, of Light. The lyrics seem to be a dialogue
between Man and Beneficial.

Hi, I've reopened this song for voting, after resetting the votes.

Please add your vote for this song and consider the following tips:

• Try to be consistent across the Iron Maiden catalogue. Don't vote based on the place on the album, but the place in the overall catalogue.
  • 1 should be the worst Iron Maiden songs, 10 should be the best. You can have lots of 10s and 1s as you see fit.
  • Don't vote based on other people's votes. IE, if you think a song is overrated, don't give it a 1 or 2 just because you think it's getting "too high" of votes.

Dark and fast - I've always felt this is the closest Maiden ever got to thrash. The verses are fantastic, and the solo is great too. I don't mind the chorus, but I'd prefer it if didn't halt the momentum the song has. I'm also really glad they didn't stretch it with an outro.

Apart from a dreaful chorus this song together with When the river runs deep were my votes for the "closest to classic song" Maiden could get....that was untill the new album came along!!!

7.5 I guess!

Perfect song apart from ending, they should've ended the song without third chorus and that forced lick at the end. 9

6/10

Out of the forgettable trio on the album, this is definitely the strongest. Not enough to go beyond a 6, but this song is a blast when it's on. The intro is quite creepy all due to the echo flanger effect put on Bruce's voice, causing it to immediately stick more in my head than The Pilgrim and Out of the Shadows before it.

Adrian brought the riffs! This song is a great marriage of the dark heavy Dickinson solo sound and the progressive tendencies of modern Maiden. One minute you’ve got some of the most crushing riffs in Maiden, the next you’ve got this really psychedelic sounding clean guitar and flanged cymbals in one of the prettiest sections in Maiden. Then it’s relentlessly heavy again. Amazing use of dynamics here. Adrian’s pitch shifting in his solo is great. The chorus here is fantastic, one of my all time favorites.

I love the lyric. 25 years after a bunch of crazy Christian fundamentalists misinterpreted The Number of the Beast, Maiden finally delivers some real devil worship. Pure evil.

Best song on the album for me. It's very dynamic and a lot less repetitive than the other songs here (other than The Legacy). The chorus is one of their best and I love the clean and heavy bridges. Absolutely fantastic 10/10 song.

Back