Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

It's funny to see the drastic different opinions the band members have sometimes. While Nicko wants orchestral versions of some Maiden songs, Bruce said:

"If we did “Empire” like that with an orchestra, I would not call it Iron Maiden. I don’t know whether the guys would be interested; one or two of them might be. But I wouldn’t call it Iron Maiden because it wouldn’t be us. I think a lot of these things with orchestras, I think people have a sense that they want to be sort of like “real musicians,” and somehow being there playing with an orchestra somehow validates them more than it being metal musicians; that’s absolute nonsense.

But there are times when an orchestra is just so powerful. But what it does do, is it obliterates the band. I’ve never heard an orchestra that hasn’t completely overwhelmed the band it was playing with.

And also, just doing orchestral backing music to a rock track is utterly pointless. It’s just kind of musical narcissism. An orchestral version of Nirvana? Oh, get out of here! Why? So if you wanna write something that uses an orchestra and requires an orchestra, different story. Different story. No, doing orchestral versions, “50 Iron Maiden Greatest Hits Played by the Bulgarian Symphony Orchestra” No! No, never!"
Where did he say this? I'd like to check if I read that whole interview.

Yeah , but the guy also said you can't play heavy metal with synth and then put out 2 of the best albums made...

:cool:

Indeed, looks great! I have to read it tomorrow, but I already see Adrian complaining about working with Kevin :bigsmile: I love his honesty. It shows that he cares and is still truly passionate about music. The Book of Souls would gain a lot if such attitude was dominant within the band.

Yes, the band's first double album, made at this point in their career, could not be a clearer sign that they do not really care anymore and lack passion for what they do.

Indeed, looks great! I have to read it tomorrow, but I already see Adrian complaining about working with Kevin :bigsmile: I love his honesty. It shows that he cares and is still truly passionate about music. The Book of Souls would gain a lot if such attitude was dominant within the band.

It's known that Kevin gives guitarists that like to use effects (especially compression and reverb) a hard time. When working on Rush's Counterparts Lifeson and Kevin had massive argumets over that, which were usually settled in a bar latter that night.

Yes, the band's first double album, made at this point in their career, could not be a clearer sign that they do not really care anymore and lack passion for what they do.
Perhaps I misphrased. I meant Adrian's perfectionism, not passion. To me, most problems with TBoS result from the (possibly) rushed process of making.

It's funny to see the drastic different opinions the band members have sometimes. While Nicko wants orchestral versions of some Maiden songs, Bruce said:

"If we did “Empire” like that with an orchestra, I would not call it Iron Maiden. I don’t know whether the guys would be interested; one or two of them might be. But I wouldn’t call it Iron Maiden because it wouldn’t be us. I think a lot of these things with orchestras, I think people have a sense that they want to be sort of like “real musicians,” and somehow being there playing with an orchestra somehow validates them more than it being metal musicians; that’s absolute nonsense.
Bruce would like to turn Empire Of The Clouds into some kind of theatrical play...
So first he doesn't want an orchestra. Now he does plus a few actors! o_O

Make up your mind Bruce...

He made up his mind. He doesn't want real orchestration at a standard Iron Maiden gig and I fully support that. He'd like to play it with orchestra as a one-off (Metallica S&M for instance...) or do a bigger thing in a form of a play.
Thinking about it, I just recall how Pink Floyd fucked themselves up bringing a whole orchestra for AHM tour. They haven't pulled themselves out, financially, for 5-6 years after that. But that's not so relevant for Maiden, at this point it's more important to execute a lengthy world tour with "standard" IM set for a new album, because that's what people expect. Orchestra is a hit or miss and at this stage of their career they don't want a 'stain'.

I've only just noticed I missed out a page when I was reading earlier today.

I like the insight into Janick's approach:
" I don’t consider playing practice—I’m just playing. I’ve got guitars all over the house. They’re all tuned differently, so wherever I’m walking I can just pick one up—standard tuning or whatever—and I’ll just play it acoustically. But you know, as far as practicing goes, I think you’ve got to experience life. You’ve got to experience everything in life, all the emotions, and put them into your guitar playing."

I think this has come across in Janick's playing recently.

There's some good reading in the new IMFC magazine. I'll try to share a bit later (in spoiler tags of course, for those who are waiting to read their own copy).
I don't know if everybody already got the magazine, so I will ask this in spoiler tags...
I saw a bit of Steve's interview for the magazine at a brazilian fan site. In this bit, Steve said Bruce doesn't want to sing Hallowed anymore. It's not clear if Steve is referring just to the Maiden England tour. Can you tell me exactly what he said? Maybe the guy who translated the interview misunderstood Steve's words.

Back