Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

A Kenneycam. See the world's grumpiest keyboard wizard at work.

Watch Michael Kenney try to see the keys on his keyboard while hiding within a tarp! Watch him try to walk on stage without a flashlight because the world may not know of his existence! Watch as Kenney loses all cool and blows off some steam by ranting to a sock puppet he made that looks alarmingly similar to Steve Harris...

Yeeeah, songs like Sun and Steel, The Duellists, Wrathchild or The Fugitive are the natural choices for an orchestral set... :p

You've taken that too far. The Fugitive is far, far too complicated.
The score sheet is already done:
e1794d6cab11766ddf20db526678a75f.jpg

Guys, just a little help, I don't know if I understood right. When Nicko talked about setting the stage back, does he mean that they can reduce the stage size to leave more space for the audience if they sell too many tickets?

Guys, just a little help, I don't know if I understood right. When Nicko talked about setting the stage back, does he mean that they can reduce the stage size to leave more space for the audience if they sell too many tickets?
I think he means moving even closer to the end of the venue so more floor space is free in front of the stage

Interesting he brought up songs never played live. Makes me wonder if they've been discussing old unplayed stuff and that's why it's on his mind.

Honestly I don't think it would be a huge stretch for them to do one of the unplayed songs from Powerslave live. I could see The Duellists or Flash of the Blade. I suspect the reason those didn't get played originally is because of all the guitar overdubs, but now that they have 3 guitarists it's a little bit more doable.

Interesting he brought up songs never played live. Makes me wonder if they've been discussing old unplayed stuff and that's why it's on his mind.

Possibly, yes. And also building suspense about what will be in the setlist?

It's funny to see the drastic different opinions the band members have sometimes. While Nicko wants orchestral versions of some Maiden songs, Bruce said:

"If we did “Empire” like that with an orchestra, I would not call it Iron Maiden. I don’t know whether the guys would be interested; one or two of them might be. But I wouldn’t call it Iron Maiden because it wouldn’t be us. I think a lot of these things with orchestras, I think people have a sense that they want to be sort of like “real musicians,” and somehow being there playing with an orchestra somehow validates them more than it being metal musicians; that’s absolute nonsense.

But there are times when an orchestra is just so powerful. But what it does do, is it obliterates the band. I’ve never heard an orchestra that hasn’t completely overwhelmed the band it was playing with.

And also, just doing orchestral backing music to a rock track is utterly pointless. It’s just kind of musical narcissism. An orchestral version of Nirvana? Oh, get out of here! Why? So if you wanna write something that uses an orchestra and requires an orchestra, different story. Different story. No, doing orchestral versions, “50 Iron Maiden Greatest Hits Played by the Bulgarian Symphony Orchestra” No! No, never!"

Pfffff, Bulgarian Symphony Orchestra was awesome! :D And also, it's quite the opposite most of the time; usually the orchestra gets drowned out by the band rather than the opposite.

Back