The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might be alone in this, but I like the amount of pyro during Hell On Earth - it's the stage prop of the song, it fits the desert backdrop and it's something unique for the band. Of course, the song has grandiose melodies and vocal parts, but it needed another noticeable thing imo to make it even more special. Alexander, for example, doesn't need that.

Also they should've use smoke machines at maximum on Stranger in A Strange Land. Such a wasted opportunity. I might be in minority here, but i feel that show aspect of this tour is a bit of let down. I won't pretend, I like it when on stage there's explosions and smokes, lights and so on... Btw, I don't think, those smoke machines are very costly. Uh... and how about those explosions from above the stage, like on Sign of the Cross and Rime of the Ancient Mariner.... yummy. There's almost no spectacle :confused: Yes, I do love Maiden music, but this is live show and I want A SHOW.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
I might be alone in this, but I like the amount of pyro during Hell On Earth - it's the stage prop of the song, it fits the desert backdrop and it's something unique for the band. Of course, the song has grandiose melodies and vocal parts, but it needed another noticeable thing imo to make it even more special. Alexander, for example, doesn't need that.
The hell fires rage...it fits the song indeed.

Also they should've use smoke machines at maximum on Stranger in A Strange Land. Such a wasted opportunity. I might be in minority here, but i feel that show aspect of this tour is a bit of let down. I won't pretend, I like it when on stage there's explosions and smokes, lights and so on... Btw, I don't think, those smoke machines are very costly. Uh... and how about those explosions from above the stage, like on Sign of the Cross and Rime of the Ancient Mariner.... yummy. There's almost no spectacle :confused: Yes, I do love Maiden music, but this is live show and I want A SHOW.
I agree, especially after we saw the previous tour, but I think LOTB was an exception and I guess they didn't want to include so many stage props (and theatrics) again. I expected it, although I would have loved one big inflatable prop. At least we have a laser gun.
In the end, I'm glad we got that kind of stage from Maiden too. Something new and fresh. The show aspect was at its peak for LOTB and ME(!) tours. We still have a great/cool show though. Some of the backdrops could/should have been better imo.

The smoke effect was used for Celts and Hell On Earth, while explosion was used at the start of CSIT (for Hell On Earth it would have been fitting too). Both effects are usually used for the big epics in the set.

They wanted to prioritize the LED screens, and that's more or less the centerpiece of the stage set. And for some songs they are really cool:

- moving Eddies for CSIT (plus more neon lights) and Iron Maiden
- moving bar scene from SIASL single cover for SIASL
- campfire for Celts
- stars for Time Machine
- falling rain for HCW
- past tour event shirts for Wasted Years

I'm not a big fan of the ones with video clips. For TWOTW, juts the two towers would have been perfect.

Just for comparison, let's see the ''show aspect'' levels for the other album tours:

BNW tour: explosion for Wicker Man, Evil That Men Do and Number Of The Beast, big Wicker Man Eddie.
DOD tour: theatrics for the title track and Paschendale.
AMOLAD tour: tank on stage, Bruce does a light show with the spotlights.
TFF tour: tour video intro, prop for Number Of The Beast (but no pyro!).
TBOS tour: tour video intro, props for If Eternity Should Fail and Number Of The Beast, light ring with Eddie, mask for Powerslave, rope for Hallowed, fight with Eddie and pyro for The Book Of Souls.

Last edited:
BNW tour: explosion for Wicker Man, Evil That Men Do and Number Of The Beast, big Wicker Man Eddie.
DOD tour: theatrics for the title track and Paschendale.
AMOLAD tour: tank on stage, Bruce does a light show with the spotlights.
TFF tour: tour video intro, prop for Number Of The Beast (but no pyro!).
TBOS tour: tour video intro, props for If Eternity Should Fail and Number Of The Beast, light ring with Eddie, mask for Powerslave, rope for Hallowed, fight with Eddie and pyro for The Book Of Souls.[/spoiler]
TBOS tour was very good and balanced :)

I was thinking: what if after 2024 leg they start making another album, like final, and then they do farewell tour, a hybrid between new album and first album from 1980.

1. NEW SONG
2. NEW SONG
3. Charlotte the Harlot
4. NEW SONG
5. The Trooper
6. NEW SONG
7. Remember Tomorrow
8. NEW SONG
9. Phantom of the Opera
10. NEW SONG
11. Transylvania
12. Fear of the Dark
13. Iron Maiden
Encore:
1. Running Free
2. Hallowed Be Thy Name
3. Blood Brothers

EDIT: thinking about tour name: Scream For Me World Tour 2025

I was thinking: what if after 2024 leg they start making another album, like final, and then they do farewell tour, a hybrid between new album and first album from 1980.

1. NEW SONG
2. NEW SONG
3. Charlotte the Harlot
4. NEW SONG
5. The Trooper
6. NEW SONG
7. Remember Tomorrow
8. NEW SONG
9. Phantom of the Opera
10. NEW SONG
11. Transylvania
12. Fear of the Dark
13. Iron Maiden
Encore:
1. Running Free
2. Hallowed Be Thy Name
3. Blood Brothers

Great idea, although there are lyrics that can't be sung anylonger and Charlotte is one of those. Not a bad thing in my opinion.

I honestly believe we have one studio album left.
I think so too. As for live shows, I don't know.
Out of the retrospective tours they have done since the reunion (Ed Hunter, GMETID, Early Days, Somewhere Back in Time, Maiden England, Legacy of the Beast), the Early Days one is my least favourite.
At least they played some rare old songs, although To Tame A Land, Killers and maybe Still Life should have been played. I don't like the stage set at all. Some of the songs are not one of my favorites, but the show was still very good. My least favorite one is probably ME. TEH, SBIT and LOTB are top tours. GMETID was fun.

How I would have done the History/Hits tours:
1999: same (but with a different stage set)
2003: same because they needed to play more older songs after the Reunion
2005: same, first 4 albums
2008/2009: Powerslave+SIT+SSOASS or only SIT revisit
2012/2013: 90's era (+ some classics)
2014: a proper ''Reunion only songs'' tour
2018/2019/2022: same
The Ullevi show is also one of the top 5 Maiden live recordings of all time, IMO.
I agree.

No you're not the only one. The pyro certainly fits with the "scorched Earth" backdrop.

I think I'm pretty picky with Maiden but I can't imagine ever giving a shit about how they use pyro

1. NEW SONG
2. NEW SONG
3. Charlotte the Harlot
4. NEW SONG
5. The Trooper
6. NEW SONG
7. Remember Tomorrow
8. NEW SONG
9. Phantom of the Opera
10. NEW SONG
11. Transylvania
12. Fear of the Dark
13. Iron Maiden
Encore:
1. Running Free
2. Hallowed Be Thy Name
3. Blood Brothers

They did those early days already in a tour. I'd rather see stuff we haven't seen. It'll never happen but a tour including a few songs from the 90s would be cooler (for me).

But all in all a bit disappointed in the stage and production. And I get more and more convinced this tour was a last minute decision.
Yeah, Bruce said they never knew they were going to call the tour ''Future Past''. They would have probably stick to their original plan - either play the whole album live or play 6 songs from it (Senjutsu, Stratego, Writing, Time Machine, Days/Parchment and Hell On Earth) plus Stranger and/or Alexander. It's curious if they would have done a SIT based tour after the supposed original SJ tour (2021-2022).

Yeah, Bruce said they never knew they were going to call the tour ''Future Past''. They would have probably stick to their original plan - either play the whole album live or play 6 songs from it (Senjutsu, Stratego, Writing, Time Machine, Days/Parchment and Hell On Earth) plus Stranger and/or Alexander. It's curious if they would have done a SIT based tour after the supposed original SJ tour (2021-2022).
I remember this was the plan: playing full Senjutsu album on Senjutsu Tour and then another throwback album right after (obviously SIT).

At this point the plan certainly was to do a proper Senjutsu album tour then follow it up with with another hybrid tour with SIT being the main focus, now they have just simply combined the 2 ideas into one tour which is a shame really, Imagine what the set could have been like taking out the 6 Senjutsu songs. Would have probably made way for Rime coming back in as the epic . Probably Phantom too

If I would be able to choose... I would love to see Powerslave and Rime of the Ancient Mariner combo one more time.

Last edited:
I remember this was the plan: playing full Senjutsu album on Senjutsu Tour and then another throwback album right after (obviously SIT).
At this point the plan certainly was to do a proper Senjutsu album tour then follow it up with with another hybrid tour with SIT being the main focus, now they have just simply combined the 2 ideas into one tour which is a shame really, Imagine what the set could have been like taking out the 6 Senjutsu songs. Would have probably made way for Rime coming back in as the epic . Probably Phantom too
[citation needed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back