Your Maiden blasphemy

Soundwave, I think you are 100% accurate about Janick being a "secret weapon". The reunion Era is ALL about personal chemistry in the band and while most people goof about Janick's on stage antics, his off stage personality is vital to the band. I think Steve realized that and it influenced him keeping Janick when Bruce and Adrian came back.
Even though No Prayer was a weak album, the tour was fantastic, and Janick really seemed to pull Dave out of his shell on stage. I mean, Dave always seems like he's enjoying himself, but there was something different about him on that tour.

From what Nicko said in one interview last year or earlier this year, it sounds like all of them have become more mature, and diplomacy and compromise is just something that comes naturally to them. Not knocking Janick's contribution, of course, he seems to be widely considered to be an all-round good egg.

I've always been secretly worried the reunion is going to fall apart given Steve's stubbornness and Bruce's million other interests... So many rock bands end in tragedy or acrimony, so it would be awesome if Maiden could 'ride off into the sunset'. That would be a fitting end to an awesome career.

I still have bad memories of when Adrian left - it was a massive punch to the gut at the time. All signs point to a 'Return of the Jedi/Ewok party' ending for the band as they've matured tremendously; I hope it stays that way.

Today's lineup is probably the final lineup (except for maybe Nicko who has said that if he is unable to continue he wants to be replaced, to keep the band going). How long will it last? Don't know. But since Bruce's illness Iron Maiden seems stronger. I also feel like the band has become more democratic (Steve is still the leader, but he listens to anyone's ideas) They are happier on stage then they have been in a long time. Album no. 17 will also almost certanly happen.

Today's lineup is probably the final lineup (except for maybe Nicko who has said that if he is unable to continue he wants to be replaced, to keep the band going). How long will it last? Don't know. But since Bruce's illness Iron Maiden seems stronger. I also feel like the band has become more democratic (Steve is still the leader, but he listens to anyone's ideas) They are happier on stage then they have been in a long time. Album no. 17 will also almost certanly happen.

The fact that they have been together for 18 years is a strong indication that this seems to be the final line-up.

Remember Smith's remarks on "the making of Final Frontier" documentary? He openly presented his dissatisfaction about the process, and how final song differs from the demo, due to production team, which is Harris/Shirley. On the latest record we have two songs that are Smith/Dickinson combo and DoG is played in original tempo. This looks like Smith's way of doing things.

Besides, I see Harris as the type of lead who will delegate responsibilities gladly if he believes in the good outcome.

Somebody can correct me here, but I'm pretty sure Dave & Adrian are playing their original harmonies & Janick plays the new higher harmony. Live, it certainly sounds like Janick.

Again, this default assumption of the forum seems to be anything that's better must be Adrian. Is it though?
@CriedWhenBrucieLeft On the 2nd night Tokyo bootleg, Adrian is the guitar in the middle, Janick on the right (Dave left).
Here you hear how the middle one goes up.

@CriedWhenBrucieLeft On the 2nd night Tokyo bootleg, Adrian is the guitar in the middle, Janick on the right (Dave left).
Here you hear how the middle one goes up.
Look, honestly, I don't really care who plays this Foro; my point remains valid. It's not great because Adrian Smith plays it; if he plays it. Looking at the Tokyo 2008 footage I don't see any evidence of him changing position; but the footage is all a bit montage, so I don't think that means very much.

Looking at the Tokyo 2008 footage I don't see any evidence of him changing position; but the footage is all a bit montage, so I don't think that means very much.

Unrelated to the discussion, but this is one annoying aspect of Maiden DVD's. Every time they cut to Janick he has a different guitar, and so on. It takes me out of it a bit. It looks good enough to pass, but in reality their concert films or whatever you want to call them are just that - a montage of nice looking footage set to a background of live recordings (edited, mixed, fixed, spliced together from different shows - who knows). The fact that they're playing around with in-jokes like the one mentioned only makes it worse.

Look, honestly, I don't really care who plays this Foro; my point remains valid. It's not great because Adrian Smith plays it; if he plays it. Looking at the Tokyo 2008 footage I don't see any evidence of him changing position; but the footage is all a bit montage, so I don't think that means very much.
You're welcome. Man what an arrogant reaction that was. Had a few too many beers?

What are you talking about? I only wanted to show you who played it. With a 2016 sound recording. And still you say you are not sure. I am beginning to think you really have trouble with deducing Maiden guitarists, even during good audio recordings as these. Just listen, with headphones if it helps.

If you are truly not interested in who plays what (hard to believe man) and/or if you are just joking, then next time when you question Maiden related matters or draw wrong conclusions, for me, someone who is very much into such matters, it is hard to take this attitude seriously.

Last edited:
I have a sound programme that tends to "enhance" & centre most of the mix coming through my headphones. I don't always bother to put it off & have never (unlike you) paid that much attention to what channel each guy plays on; I listen to style & tone more. I know you do too, but you also listen to what side/channel the playing is coming from. I totally accept (if you're telling me) that the mix is always Dave-Adrian-Janick. But as I said, it's not really how I've ever determined who's playing what.

That said, in this case, I understand the part Adrian plays (to begin with) & I know where the harmony is played. Neither Dave or Janick (in footage) appear to change what they're playing & because the harmony is played in the same position (just different strings) it's kind of hard to spot Adrian changing either (it would be tricky to spot with anyone, this isn't Adrian-specific); I'm sure it is indeed him that plays the added harmony though. Would just like to see some clearer footage to be sure.

Point remains: Adrian playing it doesn't equal Adrian is wonderful. (Read the comments around my original query for why I'm making this point.) There's a good interview where Janick talks about how they decide harmonies etc e.g. Janick will sometime play the same thing as Adrian but on different strings/position just to create the tonal difference & let all three of them breath a little. It's interesting, but all three of them are contributing here. That's all I was really trying to say.

Last edited:
I have a sound programme that tends to "enhance" & centre most of the mix coming through my headphones. I don't always bother to put it off & have never (unlike you) paid that much attention to what channel each guy plays on; I listen to style & tone more. I know you do too, but you also listen to what side/channel the playing is coming from. I totally accept (if you're telling me) that the mix is always Dave-Adrian-Janick.
In this recording it is like this throughout the whole concert. Hearing the separate guitars in this pure recording is a very cool enrichening experience I wholeheartedly recommend. Especially in the new songs. By this method I found out (or it was confirmed to me) that Janick plays the pre-chorus melody in IESF and Adrian does the lead lines during the choruses. The other Tokyo night had Adrian on one side I think, need to look that up.

Back