Your Maiden blasphemy

I don't think there's a thread like this, I did have a look but I couldn't see anything. So, what's an opinion you have about Maiden that may be unpopular with other people...

Mine is that I don't think Somewhere In Time is that good of an album. I've tried to listen to it, multiple times, but it's never clicked. Although, Alexander The Great, Wasted Years and Heaven Can Wait are great tracks.

:)
Same here. It's production (modern-sounding as it must have been back in 1986) does it no favours either.

Unpopular opinion ??

Here is my list :

I find Revelations and 2 minutes boring.
Killers is a fantastic record (couldn't say it better than Mosh)
X Factor is masterpiece.
Paschendale never did it for me, except for the fantastic opening theme (so I LOVE the first ten seconds)
I just can't look at Janick onstage
I don't appreciate Starblind and tend to skip it most of the time, because I think this is played too fast
Quest for Fire is one of my faves on Piece of Mind
I'm much more into Burr's drumming than into Nicko's
I admire Rod Smallwood very much (I don't know if it's unpopular, but some fans seem to have rather mixed feelings in that respect).
I don't agree with every point you make, but the ones I do agree with leave me with a deep and abiding respect for you :)

Killers is absolutely sensational, and my fave Maiden album
I can't look at Janick either. As inaccurate and unfair as it is to say it, he feels like an impostor to me.
And I couldn't agree with you more about Clive Burr. Precise, crisp, powerful, and a great drum sound.

I also admire Rod. Hell, where would Maiden be without him. It's impossible to say, but I think the job he has done probably is the work of an absolute genius.

I also admire Rod. Hell, where would Maiden be without him. It's impossible to say, but I think the job he has done probably is the work of an absolute genius.
I also admire him as a manager. He is a fan and wants his band (company) to grow even more and expand into new territories using his bussines tricks. He also doesn't make artistic decisions. Exactly what a good manager should be.

You make a good point: as someone who is not a drummer (much less a musician), I am in no position to make a call on Nicko's level of proficiency as a drummer.
What I should have said is that Clive's technique and sound is much more pleasing to my ears than Nicko's.

What you wrote in your post is just nonsense.
On the other hand, what you really meant, is not that unpopular or controversial. Those are two very different schools/styles of drumming we're talking about.

And I couldn't agree with you more about Clive Burr. Precise, crisp, powerful, and a great drum sound.

The only 'problem' I have with Clive is his chief influence. And that's Cozy Powell. Cozy is better drummer than Clive, and actually belongs to same era and same type of music.
McBrain is influenced by likes of Joe Morello and Buddy Rich. He brought that aspect of drumming to heavy metal. Machine Head drummer credits Clive for bringing 'punk' into metal drumming. That's not punk, but ok, energetic, fast drumming, let's say? Machine Head drummer obviously never heard A Light In The Black.

Drumming technique wise, Clive is mediocre compared to Nicko. Blaze was mediocre in comparison to Bruce, too. Did he fit a particular era/material better? He did. Just like Clive.
Just seek and tired of people claiming that X is better than Y. Just stop.

The only 'problem' I have with Clive is his chief influence. And that's Cozy Powell. Cozy is better drummer than Clive, and actually belongs to same era and same type of music.
McBrain is influenced by likes of Joe Morello and Buddy Rich. He brought that aspect of drumming to heavy metal. Machine Head drummer credits Clive for bringing 'punk' into metal drumming. That's not punk, but ok, energetic, fast drumming, let's say? Machine Head drummer obviously never heard A Light In The Black.

Drumming technique wise, Clive is mediocre compared to Nicko. Blaze was mediocre in comparison to Bruce, too. Did he fit a particular era/material better? He did. Just like Clive.
Just seek and tired of people claiming that X is better than Y. Just stop.

Well, this IS the unpopular opinions thread ;)

Drumming technique wise, Clive is mediocre compared to Nicko.
Perhaps this fits better in a Clive vs Nicko topic, but every time I read such statements I wonder what someone's criteria are for drumming technique. I am not sure about it myself, but I don't do such is mediocre statements either between these two.

To compare Clive's technical capabilities with Blaze's is very absurd I think, when putting them on the same level, that's a huge underrating of what Clive has done.

Last edited:
Yeah I mean, Blaze had trouble being in key, even in the studio. I think saying Blaze vs Bruce is the same as Clive vs Nicko is an incredible insult at Clive. Clive certainly had a more groovy, down-to-earth and basics oriented style, but he executed it damn well and was honestly better at keeping time than Nicko ever has been. Which I'd say is a pretty comparable skill to a singer's ability to sing in key.

Absolutely. And I honestly do agree with the general thought behind the statement of Nicko being a more technically accomplished drummer. It's just that technique isn't everything. And even still, Nicko had a propensity to overplaying sometimes in the 80s. He's not doing it any more, but there were times when he honestly went a bit too far with fills and changing patterns. Not really on the albums, but live? Definitely. Plus he also played certain songs way too fast, and as Adrian put it, it resulted in the band choking the life out of them.

Meanwhile, Clive never had that issue, but on the other hand the argument could be made that due to his groove-oriented playing style focusing on simple, repeating patterns, he actually ends up underplaying sometimes. But then again his tempos were always on point and he had incredibly fast hands. 16th notes on the hi-hat were no trouble for him, and on songs like Hallowed Be Thy Name, at the pace they played it at, it was a stunning display of skill, and yes, technique.

Long story short, it's not as simple as technique vs. feel either. They're two very different drummers, and I'd argue it comes down far more to preference that you'd think at first glance.

I also admire him as a manager. He is a fan and wants his band (company) to grow even more and expand into new territories using his bussines tricks. He also doesn't make artistic decisions. Exactly what a good manager should be.
I myself would buy the Iron Maiden Monopoly. Queen has just released a version. :)

I myself would buy the Iron Maiden Monopoly. Queen has just released a version. :)
Only if Huddersfield is on it :D . And a chance card that says:
Hello, let me introduce myself!
My name is Rodney. I'm immensely strong.
When I were a lad, I could lift up five
Navies on an end of a shovel. I just defeated 5 secondary ticketing sites. You should get 10 000, but you won't 'cause I'm a Yorkshireman. You should give me 5000 instead.

Same. If they decided to do that, I hope they get someone younger and less famous the way Judas Priest got Ritchie.

Richie seems unpopular with the hardcore fans which is totally unwarranted imo. He is a ton of fun on stage, he's a better guitarist than KK, and he's added at least 5 years to Priest. I'm glad they got him instead of retiring in 2011.

But maybe we need an unpopular priest opinion thread. :D

Related to a discussion in the tour thread: I would rather see Maiden continue with a new drummer than retire because of Nicko.
Eh, I could go two ways on this one. On the other hand Nicko's been with the band for so long now that it'd feel a little weird. Plus I don't think the rest of the guys are even that eager to play for that long either, so it'd just give them a couple of extra years of touring max.

However, I will admit that drummers are very replaceable and it'd make sense for Maiden to keep going if they want to even beyond Nicko's tenure. A younger, lesser known dude would probably be the smart choice here for a variety of reasons. Yet at the same time, I dunno. I just kinda have this gut reaction of "ehhhh" every time I'm reminded of a band that's mostly old dudes and then this young guy on drums or whatever. It just feels a little ridiculous, sort of a "please just retire" thing. I dunno, I guess I'd be okay with it but I'd still feel a little weird about it.

Said it before, will continue: as long as Maiden has Steve and Bruce, it will be Maiden. As much as I love Adrian and worship at his shrine, as much as I love Davey and Janick and Nicko...at this point the band boils down to those two people.

It depends on how they approach it really. If they replace the members with clones to play Number of the Beast for 10 more years then I'll pass. If it's because they still want to make new music and play interesting setlists (like Judas Priest) then I'm fine with it. Although Nicko doesn't seem to get in the way of any of their setlist decisions so I doubt that would change much.

Back