Your Maiden blasphemy

PieceofMind89

Educated Fool
My comment was mainly pointed at the other statements - about TNOTB, Dave and BNW.

Every Maiden album is unique and I don't have a problem with different albums listed as favorites of a certain person - right the opposite... I'm happy when someone's favorite album is not the usual ones like TNOTB, POM, Powerslave or SSOASS - that's shows how strong is the band's discography.

In fact, I also like the NPFTD album - it's a lot underrated.// Maybe one of the reasons why his favorite album is NPFTD is because it was the first album by Maiden that he has heard - that's always a special moment :) Am I right, @Meliegree ?
Actually, Piece of Mind is rarely mentioned as a favorite along the other three, Killers is mentioned more often. Piece of Mind is the most underrated Maiden album of the 80's.

The_7th_one

Ancient Mariner
I hate the Steve touch on the production.
I hate the drums sound since then tough Be quick or be dead(one of my favs maiden songs) and The fugitive are the exceptions.
I miss Martin Birch

KidInTheDark666

What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine too
Actually, Piece of Mind is rarely mentioned as a favorite along the other three, Killers is mentioned more often. Piece of Mind is the most underrated Maiden album of the 80's.
Yeah, I'd say that Piece of Mind is in almost everybody's top 5 or even top 3 but it's pretty rare to see it as the #1 album

Ruflux

Ancient Mariner
I never liked the production since 1990
I don't Maiden has ever had truly great production. The 80s albums sound good, but not fantastic by any means and they all have what I'd call signature flaws, i.e. an annoying little detail or two that bring down the overall sound of the album like the drum sound on Powerslave and PoM (too harsh and too soft respectively) or the weird thinness in the guitar sound on SIT and SSOASS.

Meanwhile, the 90s albums amusingly all sound different varieties of bad, while the reunion era albums are just kind of muddy and lifeless, with the exception of AMOLAD which I genuinely think could almost be called a great sounding album. But even that is mostly accomplished by basically not producing it at all and just properly leveling what was recorded and calling it a day.

e: Important addition: this goes for studio albums only. Maiden has some of the best sounding live releases in the business, both in the general category of just sounding good and also in the subcategories of good production for the time and good deliberately poor production.

Last edited:

The Red and the Black

Educated Fool
AMOLAD is by far the shittiest sounding Maiden album. It’s sounds really muddy, and Bruce is barely audible in places.

I don’t think this is blasphemy, though. Closer to common knowledge.

I do get that different people hear things differently, so I’m not surprised that some think AMOLAD sounds great.

Meliegree

I don't care
@Kalata - not the FIRST one but first that I bought on my own. :)

However, I must say - BNW and NOTB may be a matter of taste but I think that for years now Dave is playing worse and worse on tours and Jan is far better songwriter.

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
...but I think that for years now Dave is playing worse and worse on tours and Jan is far better songwriter.
Janick has written better songs since the reunion, but Dave has a couple of diamonds in the 80's, 90's and reunion era and he is essential to the Maiden sound! They all improvise on stage (Janick the most), even Adrian, but I think Dave is playing great on every tour.

Randalf

Ancient Mariner
While I'd say that DoD is another weak production, I kind of agree that the production of TFF is the one that is least succesful at supporting and elevating the initial feel and atmosphere of the record. It's not intolerable, but along with the overall performance and occasional lack of edge, the sound of TFF might fall most flat of all the mentioned records.

Reactions: Jer