Your Maiden blasphemy

The Red and the Black

Educated Fool
Appetite for Destruction is overrated (but still very good), but Use Your Illusion I & II are absolutely brilliant. G&R really started to stretch themselves musically with those albums, and then they imploded. Oh, what might have been..

Zare

Automaton Sovietico
Aren't you being a victim of HBTN, RTTH, TNOTB and even COTD and 22AA overplaying?
It's not just sum-of-parts thing. NOTB as a record doesn't sound good to me (sonically). Also I don't really rate COTD and 22AA that high. I'll give victim of overplay status to RTTH although I'd never ever give that song full marks. It's just a three chord song.

I like Total Eclipse very much.

Niall Kielt

Pulled Her At The Bottle Top
Appetite for Destruction is overrated (but still very good), but Use Your Illusion I & II are absolutely brilliant. G&R really started to stretch themselves musically with those albums, and then they imploded. Oh, what might have been..
There is some brilliant stuff on the Illusion albums (Dont Damn Me being one of their very best) but also plenty of dross. I like that they stretched themselves but it was a hit and miss affair.

karljant

Ancient Mariner
It's not just sum-of-parts thing. NOTB as a record doesn't sound good to me (sonically). Also I don't really rate COTD and 22AA that high. I'll give victim of overplay status to RTTH although I'd never ever give that song full marks. It's just a three chord song.

I like Total Eclipse very much.
Don't get me wrong: TNOTB is merely my 9th favorite Maiden album (the spree between Piece Of Mind and 7th Son make my top 4, followed by AMOLAD, Killers, The X Factor and Iron Maiden. That being said it's still an excellent record. I also find its production too clean (as well as POM and Powerslave... The several tracks out of these 3 albums played in LAD gain a completely new bulk!) And yes ... Total Eclipse is perhaps my 3rd or 2nd favorite song (nothing beats the title track IMO).

chaosapiant

Ancient Marinade
Not sure this opinion is super controversial, though it's likely fairly unique: I think Book of Souls is every bit as good as Powerslave and may very well be Maiden's best album out of all of the albums done by Maiden where Maiden recorded Iron Maiden songs that they wrote.

chaosapiant

Ancient Marinade
I may have posted this here before, but in case I did not, I will post it again, because I must share and express my sins: I LIKE the cover to Dance of Death. Even with its stupid poser cupids at weird angles, I like it. I know it's amateur and not finished, but there is this surreal Eyes Wide Shut thing going on with that cover that I think is far more disturbing due to how wacky the proportions/dimensions are on the dancing people around Eddie. It's like everyone there is in some kind of surreal dream where everything is just a bit off, but Eddie is strikingly in the center and his proportions/art are correct, as though to say that Eddie/The Reaper/Death are the only things real in this world and the rest is a crazy dance of dreams and perspectives. I know I'm reading into it a lot more than Steve certainly did, but the point is I love that cover for the same reasons that everyone hates it.

Last edited:

Diesel 11

As you scream into the web of silence...
It’s an objectively terrible cover that works for me personally because the content of the album was more experimental and the cover reflects that.

chaosapiant

Ancient Marinade
It’s an objectively terrible cover that works for me personally because the content of the album was more experimental and the cover reflects that.
I don't know that there is such thing as "objectively" terrible art. The two words aren't really compatible. But I like what you said, that you like it knowing that it's "bad" and I'm same way too! We're the same! Let's bump chests!

chaosapiant

Ancient Marinade
The cover is objectively reviled by the majority of Iron Maiden fans. It isn't objectively bad, though. Art generally can't be.
This is true as true can be. I'm actually surprised at the level of hate the album cover gets. I've always disliked VXI cover the most because Soccer/Football on the cover is weird to me.

LooseCannon

Yorktown-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
Someone dug up a version without that and it's much cooler, but I would say that DOD or TXF are my least favourite covers, most likely.