Your Maiden blasphemy

After listening closely to all the Maiden albums front to back recently, I have noticed Steve's bass playing really went downhill after The X Factor. He is as talented as ever and obviously still a great songwriter but the basslines for the past few albums have been very "functionary" and don't really offer much of the power, dynamics and showmanship of the older albums. He is one of my all time favourite bass players so it is a bit of a shame. Here's to hoping he has some tasty bass licks in store for us with the upcoming album!

AHHHHH, you had the 666th post in the Unpopular Opinions thread...YOU'RE THE MOST UNPOPULAR NOW!!!

After listening closely to all the Maiden albums front to back recently, I have noticed Steve's bass playing really went downhill after The X Factor. He is as talented as ever and obviously still a great songwriter but the basslines for the past few albums have been very "functionary" and don't really offer much of the power, dynamics and showmanship of the older albums. He is one of my all time favourite bass players so it is a bit of a shame. Here's to hoping he has some tasty bass licks in store for us with the upcoming album!

I very much agree, though I think this might have a lot to do with having to play under 3 guitars instead of 2.

I think it has something to do with him finally being able to tone down his need for control, letting the other instruments take more space and keeping in the background, doing more arrengments than bringing in his own ideas, not being head honcho in the studio etc.
Like he's stepping down a bit on all levels and having more confidence in the others abilities. He's even managed to leave his hands out of some songs on the new album.

I think it partially has to do with the production too. Sure Steve is more laid back nowadays but the bass is not as high in the mix as it used to be.

Actually yea, now that I think of it like that, it does seem like it could be a tribute to older 70s and 80s prog rock bands. The Angel And The Gambler I mean. And there's something else that may be really weird to you guys: Angel And The Gambler was the song that got me into the band. I had heard a bit of BNW, but not enough to sink in. So I had an idea of what Maidens music was like. Yet when I heard TAATG, despite the huge style difference, I thought it was amazing and it led to me becoming a fan of the rest of their music.

Virtual XI is unique in style. I totally see why so many fans are turned off by that album. In fact, I'm not sure exactly what subgenres you can put the album into. I haven't quite heard anything like it. But I love it. If you dislike it, you have it. If you like it, you love it.

I think the sound and production on Maiden's last 3 albums are great and are right up there with their 80's stuff from the golden years.
I love The X Factor.
I love Quest For Fire.
I love The Apparition.
I love The Assassin.
I don't like the plain, weak vocals in the verses of The Man Who Would Be King.

I'll post more if I think of any.

AHHHHH, you had the 666th post in the Unpopular Opinions thread...YOU'RE THE MOST UNPOPULAR NOW!!!

I very much agree, though I think this might have a lot to do with having to play under 3 guitars instead of 2.

Given that this is a Maiden forum, shouldn't the 666th post actually be quite popular?

"Worth listening to" sure. "Worth relistening to" not always.

My buddy and I were just having this argument because I rated some Maiden songs as a 1/10 possible points. He claims that such a rating should not be bestowed upon any Maiden song. I disagree. I love Maiden to death, but they have done some shit. Doesn't make me love them any less to acknowledge that not everything they've done is brilliant.

I guess i'm violating the rules of this thread, but i'm not sure where else to put it. It could be unpopular.

One thing that I just realized as I've gotten as far as DoD is that, unlike most American metal bands emerging from the 80s, Maiden has managed to predominately avoid writing lyrics and creating videos that are sexist to women. It was an all too common trend in 80s metal and rock.

I know early maiden up through Hooks in You in the 1990 album had songs referencing Charlotte the Harlot, but outside of those songs, I don't think there's much else. Maybe I'm overlooking things. It just seemed like many Glam metal bands ONLY wrote songs with references. It gets really old.

I have to respect them for steering clear of that sexual imagery that is so pervasive in most metal/ hard rock.

I agree with you and also they avoided songs about rock/metal as genres and rock/metal lifestyle and other cheesy nonsense crap.

Yeah, but man does it pull all the glam metal stops :D

Maiden avoiding everything about a metal lifestyle? Yeah mostly ...But Bruce came pretty close in some of his Metal 2000/Brave New World rants ;)

Do you guys know who the girl in the From Here To Eternity video is?

Alicia Silverstone. The same girl in the two massive Aerosmith hits Cryin' and Crazy. This coupled with the fact that they hired the Smells Like Teen Spirit director to do the video for Wasting Love does make Fear of The Dark Maiden's most obvious attempt at breaking through the American rock/metal mainstream in the 90s.

Also to make an unpopular opinion. Perhaps it was this fail of gambling everything on Fear of The Dark that lead Bruce to finally call it quits and attempt his own success in the mainstream with his solo albums ;)

So much pop and rock is dominated by themes of sex, romance, or being generally cooler than everyone else. And then you find a band who sing about the Charge of the Light Brigade. No contest, I'm afraid! They have their moments, but their chosen subjects have been many, varied, and incredibly interesting.

Do you guys know who the girl in the From Here To Eternity video is?

Alicia Silverstone. The same girl in the two massive Aerosmith hits Cryin' and Crazy. This coupled with the fact that they hired the Smells Like Teen Spirit director to do the video for Wasting Love does make Fear of The Dark Maiden's most obvious attempt at breaking through the American rock/metal mainstream in the 90s.
That girl doesn't look like Alicia Silverstone nor can I find a reliable online source that says that.

Back