Your Maiden blasphemy

- The Fallen Angel is better than The Wickerman (both are still great tracks)

- These Colours Don't Run is the weakest track on the album

- Bruce live vocals in the late 80' are sometimes not so good and therefore I prefer thw 2000s live album (Rock In Rio and En Vivo is better the Maiden England and Live After Death)

- Gates Of Tomorrow is a great track

- Bruce vocals is often better then he's not singing high all the time and strains. His midrange singing is often better. (His highs are great but he tends to overdo it)

I think Killers was inferior to the debut for quite a few reasons.

1: It lacked the clinching epic. The title track was great, and Murders and Wrathchild are fun, but they aren't really epics per say. Phantom's status as an epic is debatable, but what isn't is the fact that it's one of Maiden's finest. Maybe you could argue Prodigal Son, but that's a huge stretch.
2: A lot more average to mediocre content getting greenlighted like Innocent Exile, Another Life, Drifter and of course, The Ides Of March.
3: The production quality went up somewhat, but that kind of worked against the album, almost as if they were trying to meet halfway between refined and stripped-down. The Bruce-era went from refined (NOTB, POM) to very refined (Powerslave to Seventh Son).

I couldn't agree more. I find the debut to be head and shoulders above Killers. The songwriting on Killers can be very sophomoric and repetitive.

IMO Son is the album that all the ingredients had the perfect blend. They more or less perfected the keyboard use and had the perfect blend of acoustic intros,harmonies and agressive parts.The production has this mystical aura.I can't say enough good things about the album. Infinite dreams is my number 1 song.I. believe that Steve based the latter parts of Maiden's career trying to find the same balance again

We can all agree to disagree.Son is the pinnacle of their career IMO

Definitely agree on that. What I will say is that, in my experience, Seventh Son takes the longest to fully appreciate. Ive introduced Maiden to quite a few people and the pattern is always the same, Powerslave is always the first out of the gate in terms of favourite, but after a while Seventh Son tends to surpass it because of its atmosphere, diversity, vivid storytelling and the fact that, imo, the musicianship is at its apex with this album. There is actually so much going on in each song that it takes a while to grasp all the subtleties and hidden melodies.
Also, what I believe is its main strength over the other albums is that every song has a purpose. A niche specific to the story. While a lot of people don't care for Can I Play With Madness, and The Prophecy, they work ridiculously well in the context of the album.
CIPWM has this arrogant swagger that permeates the song which really captures both the ambitions of the protagonist and the churlish vanity of the prophet.
The Prophecys ascending chord progression and Bruce's wailing chorus paint a picture of desperation as the character tries in vain to warn these people.
No other album matches the cohesion and flare of Seventh Son.

To keep this on the topic of unpopular opinions, I'll say that Number of the Beast is the weakest of the first five Bruce albums. Its got great songs, but its wildly inconsistent, has the weakest opening track of any Maiden album and has the worst pacing. In my opinion.

For a long time SSOASS was my favorite album. I think it works as as pinnacle to 80s Maiden. It wasn't going to get better than that.

Gers is more valuable than Smith

The X-Factor would've been Maidens best Record if it weren't for a horrible production and Bayleys struggle to hit high notes

The Trooper is massively overrated and I hope it won't be played live for a while

These will probably seem completely blasphemous, but there's only 1 song I enjoy more than The Duelists on Powerslave, and that's the title track.

Unpopular...okay: I think judgement day is better than anything from the albums* featuring blaze. Killers is far superior to the 1st album.

I love gates of tommorow, gangland and quest for fire. Phantom is overrated. Favorite instrumental is losfer words. I have a hard time listening to wtwwb and sat 15/ff. ..

Back