Your Maiden blasphemy

Ascendingthethrone

Educated Fool
I've said it before, but Powerslave is an album of four very good songs and four mediocre ones. It's a slog to listen to and The Duellists and Back in the Village particularly feel like they drag on forever. Losfer Words is just directionless and boring while Flash of the Blade is just okay. Sounds kind of cheesy, actually. It doesn't help that the good songs sound much better live, to the point the album versions kind of sound lacking, with the possible exception of Aces High.
Summed up my opinion in a better way than I ever could!

Black Wizard

Pleb Hunter
I've said it before, but Powerslave is an album of four very good songs and four mediocre ones. It's a slog to listen to and The Duellists and Back in the Village particularly feel like they drag on forever. Losfer Words is just directionless and boring while Flash of the Blade is just okay. Sounds kind of cheesy, actually. It doesn't help that the good songs sound much better live, to the point the album versions kind of sound lacking, with the possible exception of Aces High.
I agree with this. The middle four songs aren't even bad, they just don't live up to the standards of the four very good songs. The album structure doesn't help with this because the four average songs are book-ended by two double headers of monolithic juggernauts.

Azas

Alchemist
Maiden did mistake by releasing No Prayer and Fear as separate albums.
IRON MAIDEN
Fear of the Dark '90

1. Be Quick or Be Dead
2. From Here to Eternity
3. Afraid to Shoot Strangers
4. Childhood's End
5. Judas Be My Guide

6. Holy Smoke
7. No Prayer for the Dying
8. Mother Russia
9. Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter
10. Fear of the Dark

Would be hailed as gritty '90s classic.

Last edited:

KidInTheDark666

What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine too
Fear of the Dark is definitely a bottom 5 album for Maiden but I still think it's pretty great. Fear Is the Key and Weekend Warrior are the worst songs on it but they aren't terrible imo.

itwaszero

Prowler
This isn't a musical thing but I'm genuinely concerned about Dave letting himself slip dangerously close to obesity . Everyone talks about Nicko being the oldest member and the linchpin deciding when the band will call it quits but it seems like Dave's fitness level is noticeably deteriorating at a rate far outstripping everyone else. Yeah, they're all aging, I know - he just seems to be getting hit the hardest by lifestyle choices he's clearly making.

Blasphemy.

Austrogoth

Educated Fool
This isn't a musical thing but I'm genuinely concerned about Dave letting himself slip dangerously close to obesity . Everyone talks about Nicko being the oldest member and the linchpin deciding when the band will call it quits but it seems like Dave's fitness level is noticeably deteriorating at a rate far outstripping everyone else. Yeah, they're all aging, I know - he just seems to be getting hit the hardest by lifestyle choices he's clearly making.

Blasphemy.
I am even more concerned about his hairstyle.

srfc

Ancient Mariner

Blasphemy.
He lives in Hawaii.

itwaszero

Prowler
Aside from some occasionally lazy solos Dave's playing is just fine, that wasn't the point I was making. I'm saying that looking towards the longevity of the band I just wouldn't be surprised if Nicko being too old isn't the thing that causes them to retire from touring - it's not fat shaming to point out that he's looking heavier every year by an amount that just isn't good. Age + chubbiness isn't exactly the recipe for good health, especially if he still smokes.

Midnight

The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park
Nicko's not just old, he has arthritis as well. I don't know how he's still drumming so well.