Your Maiden blasphemy

I remember first listening to Maiden and seeing pictures of the band and not being a big fan of Steve for some reason.

I can't get into Powerslave as an album. I love a number of the songs on the albums but the album is too samey for me when listening to it all the way through. It just becomes a blur.

However some of their best guitar playing is on this album.
This is what I thought when I first heard the album. The songs seemed to not fit together as well as they did just listening to them separately. Nowadays though, I think Powerslave is perfect in every way, shape, and form.

I like SiT better than 7th Son, actually. The "brash" sound is so cool.
Agreed. Plus, SSOASS has The Prophecy, which is good but not when compared to the rest of the album, and SIT has... no bad songs whatsoever!

I remember first listening to Maiden and seeing pictures of the band and not being a big fan of Steve for some reason.
You... you don't still think this, do you...???? :eek:

I've got a few, all somewhat related.

Piece of Mind and Brave New World are highly overrated. Killers and Dance of Death are highly underrated.

Killers > Piece of Mind
Dance of Death > Brave New World

The Mercenary - Dream of Mirrors - The Fallen Angel is the worst 3 song stretch in Iron Maiden's entire discography.

Piece of Mind and Brave New World are highly overrated. Killers and Dance of Death are highly underrated.
Agreed with POM and BNW. The latter is my least favorite album in their discography, and POM, while my seventh favorite overall, is nothing compared to TBOS, FOTD, TNOTB, SIT, SSOASS, and Powerslave. On the other hand, Killers isn't one of my all-time favorite albums despite some good songs, and DOD is only slightly better than BNW.

The Mercenary - Dream of Mirrors - The Fallen Angel is the worst 3 song stretch in Iron Maiden's entire discography.
I went through every single album and I can't find three consecutive songs that I'd say are all bad. The Mercenary and The Fallen Angel, whilst a bit weak, compared to DOM are great songs. I've found this with all of the albums. "Strange World... Charlotte... oh fuck, Iron Maiden is an awesome song. Nope." I really can't choose.

I went through every single album and I can't find three consecutive songs that I'd say are all bad. The Mercenary and The Fallen Angel, whilst a bit weak, compared to DOM are great songs. I've found this with all of the albums. "Strange World... Charlotte... oh fuck, Iron Maiden is an awesome song. Nope." I really can't choose.
That's why it was such an easy decision to make. Just about ever other 3 song stretch has a very good/great song among it. The Mercenary and The Fallen Angel aren't terrible, but I'd say they classify as the definition of mediocre.

There's only two other 3 song stretches I could possibly even consider: Public Enema - Fates Warning - The Assassin, and When Two Worlds Collide - The Educated Fool - Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger. I guess I would need to re-listen to all of these to know for sure...

There's only two other 3 song stretches I could possibly even consider: Public Enema - Fates Warning - The Assassin, and When Two Worlds Collide - The Educated Fool - Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger. I guess I would need to re-listen to all of these to know for sure...
These two I also considered, but couldn't because for the first, Public Enema I enjoy listening to, and for the latter, I do like DLTTEOAS. I think gun to the head maybe Mother of Mercy - Coming Home - The Alchemist, but... they're not bad songs. I dunno, I really couldn't choose. :confused:

"The Apparition" - never really got why there's so much hate for this song, it's really fun rhythmically and the lyrics, IMHO, are very good.

"Out of the Silent Planet" - most overrated Maiden song on this forum. It has a great song hidden somewhere inside, but it's very repetitive, the chorus is awkward and the whole thing feels disjointed. The intro is the only part of the song I actually like (love), and I oh-so wish it would've been used for a song that was actually good.

Sorry to bump a thread that's been silent for almost seven years, but I had to put this out. :D

I'll keep the ball rolling: I've never considered 22AA to be anything more than a decent, if unmemorable, track on a similarly meh album

Alright, I can add a few things of my own.

Remember Tomorrow will always be the most overrated song in my book. The third-worst song in Maiden's discography (surpassed only by Drifter and Chains of Misery).

The Angel and the Gambler is a solid song. Sure, it's repetitive, but just listen to the single edit instead if that bothers you. Great solos and a pretty fun music video.

Sea of Madness is the only truly great song H wrote on his own.

While I appreciate the craftmanship of the individual parts of Paschendale, the song is just too disjointed for me. I understand it's done on purpose to illustrate how the battle went, but the constant stops ruins the experience for me, and I usually skip it. The Longest Day is a much better example of using the music to invoke images of a soldier on the battlefield.

The Angel and the Gambler is a solid song. Sure, it's repetitive, but just listen to the single edit instead if that bothers you. Great solos and a pretty fun music video.
This. I mean, I understand the hate for it (I myself used to hate it until, like, a year ago), but I seem to enjoy it much more than the next Maiden fan.
The Longest Day is a much better example of using the music to invoke images of a soldier on the battlefield.
While I love "Paschendale" (and rank it higher than "The Longest Day"), I have to agree with this. "The Longest Day" is much more consistent and works better in creating the image of a battlefield.

Back