Who will carry the torch?

chaosapiant

Ancient Marinade
One of the things that is bothering me over the past few years, is knowing in the back of my mind that sometime, soon, the Maiden machine will call it quits.  I believe optimistically we can expect MAYBE 2 more albms and accompanying tours.  Maiden will always be my favorite band.  So, my question to you other Maiden fans is this: who will carry the torch?  What "new" band will give you the "can't wait for the next album" thrill that Maiden currently provide?  For me....Mastodon.

There doesn't seem to be many bands coming up at all at the moment  :S

For me Black Stone Cherry are the ones to look out for!

Steel Panther are another great band who are getting bigger and bigger, Obviously due to the themes in their lyrics they'll never become "massive".

Mosh said:
At this point, nobody.
+1

Where Eagles Dare said:
White Wizzard is the only "new band" and there kind of Maiden clones in a way so I dont know...
White Wizzard has no future if they=Jon Leon continue changing lineups every week and continue cancelling tours and shows for no reason.

Mosh said:
At this point, nobody.

This. New bands mostly suck, sad but true. They're mostly repetitive.

But of course, there are old bands who are younger than Maiden. For example, after Maiden's retirement, I'd look after new Dream Theater albums. I believe they'll produce 3-4 more albums.

Most of my favourite bands have been on the go for at least twenty years. The youngest of my top bands is As I Lay Dying (who are celebrating their tenth anniversary this year) but I can't see myself getting as excited as I have been for new Iron Maiden, Dream Theater or Iced Earth albums. As The Flash says, most bands suck. When my favourite bands have all called it a day or split up I'll still be listening to them  thinking that music isn't what it used to be. In fact, most of my favourite bands formed before I was even born.

The reason Maiden are arguably more popular now than ever before is because there simply is nobody like them. There are bands who try to emulate them with varying degrees of success but I can't stand any of them personally and when Maiden do hang it up it will leave what I fear will be an unfillable hole in the world of metal. Luckily I listen to many different kinds of music but the reality for me is when Maiden stop it is likely I'll never buy a metal cd ever again.

It will be a very sad day, for me at least, when I hear that dreaded announcement that Steve Harris/Iron Maiden have called it quits.

Iron Maiden has changed my life, for the better. I started listening to their stuff when a lot of bad things were happening in my life, and their music just really changed the way I view the world, in a good way.

I can say very confidently that there will be no other band like Iron Maiden. Whenever their time does pass, it will be very depressing, yes, but I will just have to try and look forward and continue to listen to their music. It will be timeless for me and my family.

Obviously I will still listen to music or eagerly expect new albums but the thrill won't be nowhere near as huge.Most of the ''new'' bands that come to mind are not metal.They certainly can give me some thrill but there's no contest compared to Maiden.
Alter Bridge.It's already been a year since their last album and I already know I won't be getting a new one in 2012 and it hurts.
The Answer is another new band that I really like.They've proven themselves 3 times already and they are growing bigger step by step.They've already become more than another rock n roll band.

There are of course metal bands that still have many years ahead. Hopefully Iced Earth with Stu have many years and albums ahead, the same goes for Angra, Symphony X, Malmsteen and others.But still nothing like Maiden.I guess I''ll have to accept that I''ll never feel the same for any other band after Maiden quits.Call it something like the End of the 100% true fanboism.  :S

There are quite a few bands out there whose new albums I always look forward too. Some include Dream Theater, Symphony X, Megadeth, Slayer, Nightwish, Within Temptation, As I Lay Dying, In Flames, and others.

Just to be clear, the fact that I have no love for any other metal band is irrelevant and the fact that others think there are many good metal bands around is equally irrelevant. The question is, who will carry the torch? Can anyone answer that? Is anyone capable of it? From what I've seen and heard in the world of metal the answer is a resounding NO  :(

thats about it, NO
i doubt from maidens departure any band will achieve anywhere near the brilliant sound, anticipation and love that they have amassed in their glittering career. 

No one is carrying this particular torch.  The only thing we can do is listen to the Maiden we have and reminisce.  Yes their are bands out there, but they fail miserably when compared to the magic of Maiden, at least for me.   My loyalty for this band is way to deep to think another band will come along and compare.  No way.  Maiden is  a once in a  lifetime band.   Up the Irons.

Where Eagles Dare said:
White Wizzard is the only "new band" and there kind of Maiden clones in a way so I dont know...
For me, the best collection of White Wizzard songs were the ones from the EP High Speed GTO. However, I don't find their two proper albums to be that consistent.

The next album from a 'new' band that I will look forward to is Enforcer, a Swedish speed metal band. They're fast, aggressive, and yet so melodic as well.

You guys sound like a bunch of Beatles fans crying after the Beatles broke up.

I mean, I'm sorry to be mean about it, but there you have it. All that being said, the simple fact of the matter is that Maiden probably can't be replaced. I'll miss them, yes, I will. But that doesn't mean I'm going to be sad when they're gone. Or stop listening to metal, or music.

Maiden changed the metal world in ways we can't appreciate for another 15, 20 years. We have to love what we've been given. We may never move on, no. But we can always look for what they did in who comes next.

Back