When the Wild Wind Blows

How good is When the Wild Wind Blows on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
The Man Who Would Be King

If it leaks... do I listen to this song only... or listen to everything else and leave only this for the album release?

Ahhhhhh I hate dilemmas.

Suicidehummer said:
If it leaks... do I listen to this song only... or listen to everything else and leave only this for the album release?

Ahhhhhh I hate dilemmas.

There is a good chance that this will be the best song on the album, so listening to it first may make the rest of the album seem weaker.

I would listen to something like starblind or mother of mercy first.

I'm not a big movie person either, and I especially hate watching them in part on YouTube, but this was worth it. Do know that part of the movie is missing on YouTube. Somebody posted a google video link so I'd go for that if you wanna watch.

Babo 91 said:
There is a good chance that this will be the best song on the album, so listening to it first may make the rest of the album seem weaker.

I would listen to something like starblind or mother of mercy first.

I know, that's what makes it so tough not to listen!

Yeah, maybe I'll just give Starblind a listen and wait for the rest.

Another war related song by good ol Stevie. I liked the 30 second clip. It had a "happy" type of vibe to it. I mean, I could almost picture the crowd rocking their arms back and forth to the melody like "yay, world's ending, don't worry be happy, hup hup"

The lyrics are said to be really paranoid and realistic, but about the music I utterly disagree it's happy.

All we've heard is a 30 second clip of a 11+ minute song by Maiden. Imagine if you heard a 30 second clip of the slow part of Rime before you heard the whole thing, and how you'd imagine the entire piece.

Maiden's epic work, especially, is just too complex and brilliant to even imagine judging.

The melody reminds me a little of For the Greater Good of God, but I'm sure that has more to do with the chord progression than anything else.

I really can't wait to hear this song.  I've seen it described as an epic that doesn't fall into the normal Harris epic formula, which will be refreshing.

Sample is giving me a real The Clansman feel... I would pay good money to hear just this song once right now.  AARrrrrrg :mad:

Would someone correct the topic title? It's not Where but When The Wild Wind Blows.

Thanks.  :ok:

Forostar said:
Would someone correct the topic title? It's not Where but When The Wild Wind Blows.

Thanks.  :ok:

Gosh, I can't believe I haven't noticed that  :eek:...

Thanks for that mate!

I've translated the following piece with Steve Harris from an interview in the latest Aardschok (Dutch rock & metal magazine).

Location: Toronto / date: probably 3 Juli 2010, the concert date, since the gig was reviewed by the interviewer.

Interviewer:
“The album closes with the epic “When The Wild Wind Blows”, the only song completely written by Steve Harris. It is one of the most beautiful compositions. It also has a lyric which it deserves. It tells the story of a married couple. From the signs of the time they think the apocalypse is at hand. The duo doesn’t want to await the disaster but decides to make an end to it, together in peace. Just before that, very English, they drink a cup of tea. From the last couplet, it seems the couple misjudged the signals. It was just a simple earth shock.

Steve Harris:
“The idea for that song was in my head for a very long time. Definitely five or six years. Maybe even longer. The lyrics are based on a cartoon film I saw once. When The Wind Blows by Raymond Briggs. I saw it somewhere in the mid eighties. It is about a couple who knows the end of time is coming soon. However, they don’t panic for a second. Indeed they drink a cup of tea. One or two sugar lumps? Very British. Very “stiff upper lip”. Whatever disaster comes, always stay calm and go on, like nothing is the matter. You saw this during the terrible disgrace of the English football team in South Africa. In our country, not a single face changed, while it still was a scandalous performance. I like that.

Still I did it my own way.  By the way, since the eighties I hadn’t watched it anymore. I didn’t want to because I didn’t want to be extra influenced by it. I’ll try to get the video tape soon again.

Like I said, I was busy with the music for “When The Wild Wind Blows” for some years. When I needed the tape, it suddenly seemed to be lost. So I just left it to fate. If I wouldn’t find it, then it was meant to be like that. Would I find the tape, then the song would land on the record. In the end it seemed I had put it neatly in a drawer, but had completely forgotten about that.”
Laughs shortly: “That’s what happens when you get old”.

Back