What guitar do you play?

Nothing special - Squier PJ-B Classic Vibe in placid blue with some small modifications and (soon) spb-4. I'm planning some other changes because I'm not 100% happy with it (don't know why but I prefer my old Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass finish). And it sounds good while playing with a pick so that's something.

Got my Chapman ML3 (the Tele-style) in the post today. First impressions are... alright. It looks great, feels great, sounds... less great. Pickups are a bit harsh and thin sounding and the coil-tapping barely makes a difference, only noticeable by the increased noise. Have to do a bit more playing around before I decide on swapping the pickups, it's going to be my Eb guitar so it could be that the sound works better with that tuning.

My Adrian Smith SDX has become my main guitar. With a D-tuna, I can play the whole set with it. Took a lot of setting up, but it's finally where I want it to be...

Maybe the green SDX will follow soon as a backup and same setup, except I'll probably try a JB instead of Super Distortion.

Sold my RG on eBay and got it sent off today. Been with me for eight years, now she's gone. Sad.

In other news, I'm really liking the Chapman. Can't fault the build quality, she plays wonderfully and feels great, nice and lightweight with a really smooth, comfortable neck, good upper fret access and vibrato is crazy easy. There is a little neck-dive, but not so much that you feel you're constantly fighting it. Definitely going to swap out the pickups too, got a decent sound out of them with a bit of amplifier knob fiddling but they're still not cutting it for me. Currently eyeing up some DiMarzio Dominions, they sound just the ticket.

I've gathered a bunch of guitars over the years - Haven't become a better player in the last 10 since I stopped practising at that point, but I digress.

My four strats consist of:
1x Dave Murray Black HSH stratocaster (swapped the single coil for a Kinsman Noiseless, but kept the original cover)
1x Cream Maple Fender Japan 1986 strat, modded with Floyd and HSH config (Super Distortion ala Murray), bought when I was 19
1x Sunburst Maple Fender Japan 1988 Strat, modded with Floyd and a preloaded Dave Murray Seymour Duncan pickguard. Basically Dave's current signature model but with a D shaped Maple Neck.
1x Black Maple Neck American Standard Fender Strat, modded with 1x hot rail in the bridge position.

1x ESP LTD MH 400, all stock, had it since I was 15.
1x random Ibanez RG (90's), modded wtih some Dimarzio humbuckers, fitted with a tremolo in need of replacement.

Last edited:
My Adrian Smith SDX has become my main guitar. With a D-tuna, I can play the whole set with it. Took a lot of setting up, but it's finally where I want it to be...

Maybe the green SDX will follow soon as a backup and same setup, except I'll probably try a JB instead of Super Distortion.

Super Distortion is nice for pure power, but for overall allround guitarplaying I'd go for a JB. Opinions may vary.

Super Distortion is nice for pure power, but for overall allround guitarplaying I'd go for a JB. Opinions may vary.

IMO it depends on the amp. I basically play 3 different pickups through the same amp (DiMarzio SD in my SDX, Duncan JB in my Les Paul and DiMarzio Breed in my Jem DBK). All of them clean up nicely and have the punch I want.

I'd say a really good amp is a bigger factor.

I sold my bass rig and im planning to learn again guitar (hard - in highschool I've broken three fingers of my left hand).

So now I have Squier Classic Vibe 50s in black with maple neck. I love the feeling of this guitar (my first e. Guitar was $50 Gibson rip off).

However I can't decide on amp - I'm planning to play only at home, mostly maiden, deep purple, rainbow, clapton and Hendrix - friend in music store can sell me either Fender Mustang LT25 or VOX AV15 for the same price. :D

After that I will buy locking tuners and then maybe change pickups to Hot Rails in neck and bridge.

However I can't decide on amp - I'm planning to play only at home, mostly maiden, deep purple, rainbow, clapton and Hendrix - friend in music store can sell me either Fender Mustang LT25 or VOX AV15 for the same price. :D

If you’re looking for a bit more of an investment, but still pretty cheap, I highly recommend the Boss Katana. I have the 100W 1x12 and it can model so many sounds very well. It will be perfect for bedroom playing and also more than good enough if you ever decide to start gigging.

I’ve played this amp for 2 years at gigs of all sizes and it rules.

If you’re looking for a bit more of an investment, but still pretty cheap, I highly recommend the Boss Katana. I have the 100W 1x12 and it can model so many sounds very well. It will be perfect for bedroom playing and also more than good enough if you ever decide to start gigging.

I’ve played this amp for 2 years at gigs of all sizes and it rules.

Katanas are great indeed.

Katanas are great indeed.
These are bad:

31XXrujiD8L._AC_.jpg

These are good:

lg_e18d80a3dd42aaaa0f430adaefccbf9c.jpg

Boss Katana is nice but it cost almost 2x more than Fender Mustang GT40. I don't need equipment for a gig, however big plus for me is to be able to play some different songs at home so if I'll get close to The evil that men do one day and to comfortably numb or Layla another - this will be a win for me.

I just got my Mustang LT25. Nice amp, loud as hell. Some presets are ok, some of them need some tweaking. Metal ones suck but this is fault of my guitar (3x single coils) so I will now probably change them for hot rails etc. Either way - I'm very happy, playing again after 10 years.

Last edited:
I usually play on a Boss GT-100 via headphones, but as a more straightforward alternative I bought a Roland Microcube. More than enough for a bedroom player. You should check the Cube series also.

Yeah, Strats are easier to handle. but I love my LP in spite of tuning problems etc., it sounds so full and is beautiful. But... so, neck-bending for musical effect (that’s what I mean) wasn‘t the reason for your LP’s neck break.

That's awful @matic22.

I worried about the neck of my LP in the original soft case it came in, which doesn't even really fit a LP despite being supplied with it. I got a hard case as fast as possible.

Back