UEFA EURO 2016

Which country will you root for?

• Total voters
France was one bridge too far but Iceland deserved to be in the quarter finals (it wasn't overachievement; they were supposed to be here.

They absolutely ARE overachievers, what are you on about? None of their players would make the English squad and they beat England. That's exactly what you call overachieving. They played way better than their makeup suggested.

You seem to think "overachieving" means "they didn't deserve it". Which is not true. Being an overachiever is a good thing.

Alright.

Here another stat: France - Iceland had 7 goals. Here the other matches from the history of the European Championship with such an amount, or more:

2000: Netherlands - Yugoslavia: 6-1 (4 goals by Patrick Kluivert)
2000: Spain - Yugoslavia: 4-3
The most goals in 1960: Yugoslavia - France: 5-4

Lots of Yugoslavia. :)

The Yugoslavia of 2000 was a very different Yugoslavia from that of 1960 though! :p Nowadays, in terms of football, Yugoslavia is basically Croatia.

A Yugoslavian team would be one of the strongest in the competition.

Jan Oblak
Darijo Srna
Aleksandar Kolarov
Branislav Ivanovic
Stefan Savic
Nemanja Matic
Luka Modric
Miralem Pjanic
Ivan Rakitic
Ivan Perisic
Edin Dzeko

Asmir Begovic, Neven Subotic, Sead Kolasinac, Josip Ilicic, Kevin Kampl, Senad Lulic, Stevan Jovetic, Mario Mandzukic as backups.

Alright.

Here another stat: France - Iceland had 7 goals. Here the other matches from the history of the European Championship with such an amount, or more:

2000: Netherlands - Yugoslavia: 6-1 (4 goals by Patrick Kluivert)
2000: Spain - Yugoslavia: 4-3
The most goals in 1960: Yugoslavia - France: 5-4

Lots of Yugoslavia. :)

Yugoslavia was dead in 1992, so you and Spain played against Serbia and Montenegro.

That's not fully legal, and there have been issues and discussions around that. For instance my viewpoint is shared by USA.
But I don't really care and it's just about sports; proper Yugoslavia had 5-6 good sport nations, and 'Federal Yugoslavia' had only two. It's not fair putting those scores together.

Few thought on the quarterfinal games:

I declare Portugal a new Italy. 3 draws, goal in 117 minute, penalties and they're in semi-final against a underdog. Wouldn't be surprised if they win the Euro somehow. I feel really bad for Poland, they were my second choice this tournament, had a really good teamwork and a heart.

Belgium on the other hand really disappointed this time and Wales was right to send them home. They had a tougher group but what I saw in qualifying matches (where Belgium and Wales played together in group) I gave slight advantage to Belgium and failed. This being said, I would like to see Wales sending Portugal home, although it's going to be weird seeing Wales in the final of Euro.

My least favorite national team (Italy) is going home. By penalties. That does them justice. But Germany really disappointed me. Their run through this Euro was waaaay easier than Italy's (Germany played against Ukraine, N. Ireland, Poland and Slovakia while Italy played against Belgium, Sweden, Ireland and Spain) and they struggled against Italy.

France began this Euro terribly but woke up since. Since they're playing at home and have their morale boosted with the last game I give them small advantage over Germany. Iceland is the best story of this Euro. The only team that went home with 5 goals received and with their heads held high. They had such an amazing spirit and gameplay - a lot of other "better" national teams could learn from them.

My least favorite national team (Italy) is going home. By penalties. That does them justice.

Justice? How exactly?
Italy have been playing an extremely attractive and open football under Conte. They completely deserved to be in the final and had they been in the other half of the scheme, where Portugal are, they would have done it. The fact that you dislike Italy doesn't mean their leaving the tournament is "justice." It's just your personal dislike.

Back